Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions on SP BMC-6 / BMC-12 / CMC-4 mini mics  (Read 12141 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Opinions on SP BMC-6 / BMC-12 / CMC-4 mini mics
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2004, 10:13:47 AM »
Hell no, the 831s are not prone to distortion. Best entry-level mics there are. For $200 out the door, they cannot be beat.

fair enough...I was speaking of the Sound Pros AT853s only...apologies for the confusion.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2004, 11:49:57 AM »
Totally... I wasn't referring to your post.

Offline skua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I only see in infrared.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2004, 02:47:19 PM »
Welp... the deed is done. My order is in for a set of the SP-CMC-2 (AT831) mics and a battery box with bass-rolloff.  Now, of course, I can't wait for them to arrive.

I went with the the CMC-2's because they aren't busting my budget... and from the numerous samples I've heard they do sound damn good.  Everything I plan on recording is going to have to be in stealth mode... and these seem to be just the right tool to get me started.

If I get the itch to upgrade... I already have a bunch of good info and know where to come for additional advice! Hopefully my efforts will yield tapes worthy of sharing with the community!
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »
Excellent choice, skua. No better way to start out, I think.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2004, 09:41:30 PM »
next show i tape i'll make sure to keep the M1 meter around -5db tops.

definitley give it a shot, but in my experience it does not matter what level you are feeding the recording device...the mics, due to their powering scheme overload and distort long before that signal gets to your dat...

Yeah, i get the feeling that is definitely the case too.  Too bad...maybe if i contact soundpro to modify these mics for phantom power, that might help out?  I got a bit of a dry spell coming up and think it might be worth the cash before i decide to upgrade, what do you think?
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2004, 10:02:22 PM »

definitley give it a shot, but in my experience it does not matter what level you are feeding the recording device...the mics, due to their powering scheme overload and distort long before that signal gets to your dat...

Yeah, i get the feeling that is definitely the case too.  Too bad...maybe if i contact soundpro to modify these mics for phantom power, that might help out?  I got a bit of a dry spell coming up and think it might be worth the cash before i decide to upgrade, what do you think?

cant hurt to get the mod done.  I have to believe that it will be less costly than other mics...and leaving a show that you stealthed with a recording that is screwed for reasons beyond your control...not fun...which is why I switched.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 01:50:27 AM »
hey skua, good choice, I've been running that exact same thing (see signature) and I still have them. I'm getting a jb3 but I can't seem to let go of the MD, it's just so small...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 10:39:52 AM »
:-) yeah I'm really anxious to get the mics and see what kind of results I can get out of them.  There's a small club in my area that gets lots of decent acts... no security at all... so it's a perfect 'proving ground' for the new rig.

I know for sure that it's a step up from my old rig (Sony WM-D3 cassette!) and I'm looking forward to getting back into it again.  Since my Sony died it's really sucked going to shows and NOT having a tape of it at the end of the night!  hehehehehe!
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 10:41:01 AM »

i think you still need a device to provide phantom power

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2004, 12:36:58 AM »
hey skua, one more thing, I have had much better results running ortf with the at831's.  the mics are naturally bright and both ortf and din accentuate this particular strength better.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2004, 01:47:21 AM »
good thoughts, chris. I will be running the AT831 in DIN possibly this weekend and I think it's gonna rock my sox

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2004, 12:21:18 AM »
good thoughts, chris. I will be running the AT831 in DIN possibly this weekend and I think it's gonna rock my sox
[thumbs up]

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2004, 11:36:16 AM »

i think you still need a device to provide phantom power

yep, working on it ;)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2004, 12:45:56 AM »
:)

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2004, 10:17:57 PM »
Took my SP-CMC-2's out in the 'field' for the first time last Tuesday... taped Yngwie Malmsteen at a small venue (which was suprisingly crowded!  All the shred-heads came out to see the Maestro!)

Anyway... just wanted to say that I am not at all disappointed in my decision to purchase the CMC-2's...  I ran them into a battery box, bass-rolloff set to 95Hz, and then line-in to my Archos Gmini 120 and got a great recording.  Mics were hidden in the hatband of a baseball cap, positioned roughly at my temples and aimed towards the stage.

Chris Color and Schwillster... I had to go lookup ORTF and DIN... hehehe... I guess I'll have to give them a try with another hat.  Was going to create a 'croakie' style mount on some glasses to be able to wear the mics in... but you think an ORTF or DIN orientation of the mics would produce even better results?  

I screwed up and lost the opening set by George Lynch... pure idiot user error not being familiar enough with my new equipment.  I did capture the full set from Yngwie... almost 2.5 hours of neoclassical noodling and it was an absolute joy not having to worry about tape-flips.  All in all I must have had the recorder running for 3.5 hours... and I still had battery juice when I left.

I think these CMC-2's are going to keep me happy for a while.... and as long as the Gmini doesn't freak out on me (as some have reported) it will be great.  It's small and easy to operate.

Thanks again for all the advice.
\m/_skua_\m/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com