Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 7 series recording  (Read 4381 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sound Devices 7 series recording
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
I'm assuming most everyone uses wav poly. Anyone use wav mono?

Q: The 7-Series recorders have two options for WAV files, WAV mono and WAV poly. What’s the difference between these two WAV file types?
A: When choosing WAV mono (monophonic) as your file type the 7-Series will generate separate data files for each individual track recorded. The mono files generated by the 7-Series recorders have file names similar to T01_1.WAV and T01_2.WAV. The _1 and _2 after the take numbers are the mono designators added to the file name. These represent individual tracks.

When choosing WAV poly (polyphonic) as your file type the 7-Series will generate one data file containing multiple tracks. The poly files generated by the 7-Series have file names similar to T01.WAV, no matter how many tracks are contained within the file.

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Sound Devices 7 series recording
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
I use WAV mono on the off chance one of the channels gets messed up, I can always copy the mono channel to make a stereo file. It's come in handy on some SBD recordings I've done where one channel is screwy.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
I owned a 722 for like 5-6 years and ALWAYS used WAV POLY ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
I think if you are using 2ch then always run POLY for simplicity, but if you are running 4ch or more then your best option is MONO. I haven't found any software that I am comfortable with to use POLY for a 4ch file. I would love to use POLY for my 744 files, but I also despise learning an entirely new workflow at this point. I tried my damnedest to make the switch to Audition CS6, but the workflow just doesn't seem as intuitive to me as Wavelab 6. I wish I could sit a day with an Audition expert and have them try to convince me otherwise.

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
I think if you are using 2ch then always run POLY for simplicity, but if you are running 4ch or more then your best option is MONO. I haven't found any software that I am comfortable with to use POLY for a 4ch file. I would love to use POLY for my 744 files, but I also despise learning an entirely new workflow at this point. I tried my damnedest to make the switch to Audition CS6, but the workflow just doesn't seem as intuitive to me as Wavelab 6. I wish I could sit a day with an Audition expert and have them try to convince me otherwise.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »

I totally prefer Audition CS 6 over WaveLab 7 after some time now. Hopefully poly wave files are coming for WaveLab 8. Concerning 4 Ch recording: I record very often 4 Ch poly files with my 744T. If you need to split them afterwards Wave Agent is an easy way and I wonder why it wasn't mentioned yet.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:05:47 AM »
I think if you are using 2ch then always run POLY for simplicity, but if you are running 4ch or more then your best option is MONO. I haven't found any software that I am comfortable with to use POLY for a 4ch file.

This is how I work - poly if recording stereo and mono files if recording multi-track.

Also, with a poly file for multi-track, the 2GB (or 4GB) limit will come very quickly.

(Although I use a Nagra VI and an AETA 4MinX, rather than a 788T - but the principle is the same).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Two channel = poly
More than two = mono
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming the 7xx work like most other decks, even if you ran "poly" and it saved multichannel files, you could always split the channels later, no?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming the 7xx work like most other decks, even if you ran "poly" and it saved multichannel files, you could always split the channels later, no?

correct.

it's just something else to do though. One thing to keep in mind though is how tracks are handled in your editor. For example in Reaper you can pull multiple channels into a track so it's a pain to split them out there (very doable, just something else to do though). Second, John's right that while you have a box that is confirmed to do seamless splits, you'll definitely get more of them with poly files and multiple channels.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

yes, but for 744 and 788 users, not everyone has editors that handle wav files > 2 channels

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »
I'm not a SD hardware user but I make use of their small freeware stand-alone program sometimes to split or combine mono/poly files.  It is available for download here: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/

Agreed on choice of poly for 2ch-stereo and mono for more than two for the same reasons as the others- easier file handling in software and longer recording time before file-splits, but also for allowing easier re-naming/re-organization of channels in a different sequence than what may have been writen to the poly file originally.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
I'm not a SD hardware user but I make use of their small freeware stand-alone program sometimes to split or combine mono/poly files.  It is available for download here: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/

I tried to make the audience here aware of this little neat program some posts before. It works very well and I have used it several times. Sometimes you simply want poly wave files: surround recording or phase coherence safety.
Mono files can slip in time accidentally during edit. I made myself simple Audition multitrack session templates to convert 4 channel (as 2x2Ch) H2n or 744T (yes, they mark the spectrum of my recorders) files to 5.1 for further work.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
Sometimes you simply want poly wave files: surround recording or phase coherence safety.
Mono files can slip in time accidentally during edit.

I record surround material in mono files, save and work with those, and export to multi-channel FLAC files.

A few more practical reasons I do it that way- my channel assignments into the recorder are not usually arranged in standard order, so I rename the raw files with the appropriate channel indicated in their file name, FLAC and archive them.  Then when I get around to working on them I bring those into my editing software and time-lock them together so they can't be slipped out of sync accidentally, work on the project, then export multi-channel WAV or FLAC.  Keeping them as individual files makes it easier to substitute alternate channels if I recorded them, preview the files with most any media player, and copy single channel files or pairs out for other use.  For instance, I can just pull out the Left & Right Channels.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.478 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com