Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414 Shock Mount, will it fit Shure A55m?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
AKG 414 Shock Mount, will it fit Shure A55m?
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »
So I know this has been beaten to death around here a few years ago but I am looking for a lower profile shock mount for the AKG 414's. I checked the spec on the Shure A55m & it fits the Shure KSM 109 which measures 24mm. I don't have calipers handy but they appear to be 22mm maybe 23mm. The other choice is a pair of the clone Shoeps style A20s shock mounts, I've seen them in larger than 20mm & the one I have fits but part of the XLR connector is hidden in the cradle of the shock mount. 
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: AKG 414 Shock Mount, will it fit Shure A55m?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
These are the A20-style mounts I use.  They come with 22mm cradles, but I add a couple pieces of gaff tape to use them with 20mm mics.  I'm not sure why covering up part of the XLR connector is a problem, but if it helps you I just measured the cradles, and they are 45mm long, or about 1 3/4 in.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Professional-Microphone-Clip-Clamp-Holder-Shock-Mount-Suspension-22mm-Shotgun-Pencil-Professional-Wholesale-Hot-Sales/404390_845326327.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
These are the A20-style mounts I use.  They come with 22mm cradles, but I add a couple pieces of gaff tape to use them with 20mm mics.  I'm not sure why covering up part of the XLR connector is a problem, but if it helps you I just measured the cradles, and they are 45mm long, or about 1 3/4 in.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Professional-Microphone-Clip-Clamp-Holder-Shock-Mount-Suspension-22mm-Shotgun-Pencil-Professional-Wholesale-Hot-Sales/404390_845326327.html
I saw this link when you posted it earlier & I want to place an order but I am hesitant giving my credit card info, how secure is this site? Being based in the US I always get concerned when placing an order overseas without paypal protection.
*Edit* Oh well, placed the order...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:53:27 AM by carlbeck »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »

I saw this link when you posted it earlier & I want to place an order but I am hesitant giving my credit card info, how secure is this site? Being based in the US I always get concerned when placing an order overseas without paypal protection.
*Edit* Oh well, placed the order...
Nothing to fear with this site - I've ordered from them a few times and no problems.  Be prepared to wait a few weeks though - delivery takes quite a while but at these prices it's quite worth it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
So these mounts fit the 414 perfectly? ive been looking for a smaller mount as well..

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
So these mounts fit the 414 perfectly? ive been looking for a smaller mount as well..

Yes, they fit great except they only take up about 3/4 of the cradle of the shock mount so when you connect your XLR the release tab is buried into the cradle. Turning the mic body about 45 degrees gives you access to the release tab on the cable if that makes sense. I was a little concerned about the cable end resting in the cradle, technically it doesn't isolate the cable from the shock mount which could lead to handling noise but everything I tape is loud enough where I imagine it won't be an issue.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »

Yes, they fit great except they only take up about 3/4 of the cradle of the shock mount so when you connect your XLR the release tab is buried into the cradle. Turning the mic body about 45 degrees gives you access to the release tab on the cable if that makes sense. I was a little concerned about the cable end resting in the cradle, technically it doesn't isolate the cable from the shock mount which could lead to handling noise but everything I tape is loud enough where I imagine it won't be an issue.

Just strain-relief the cable somewhere on the top of your stand and you're good to go.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline hemiolacadence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
I'm glad to see others are using large diaphragm mics.

I found that the 414 XLS is extremely good for taping classical guitar and at a further distance they sound amazing. Because first and foremost I want to record classical guitar I'm exchange the 415B stereo pair and a 414 XLS for two XLS stereo paired mics.

The distance and everything I believe they will work well for recording and everyone uses small diaphragm condensers I want to do something different.

edit: I wasn't sure if they are preferred for taping concerts. I found that the 414 XLS recorded a classical piece I monitored very well I had pops due to an out of date driver. I've done more reading and they are often used for choirs etc., and given the way they pick up acoustical sounds at a longer distance I am betting that they will work very well for taping.

I got lucky sweet water is really working with me. And everyone uses small diaphragm condensers every jazz guitarist uses a hollow body - bad analogy because that gives the sound but I do want to be able to do my own thing with taping.

I'll be looking into stands and stuff soon clamps, i have to do more reading in a dense book for me - "Practical Recording Techniques" was a book used in a music degree program, and therefor it is condensed and watered down compared to this study on its own.

I never finished the class but this stuff gets just as complicated as music theory I am sure. By the end of theory it got so theoretical I was fed up with it, like abstract economics.

So I have a lot of respect for those of you that have this knowledge. Looking forward to learning from you all, or meeting at shows.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:38:20 PM by hemiolacadence »

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »

cool thanks for the info. at that price might as well pick up a pair..is there a vendor in the US that carries these ?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
I don't know of any US sources, my original one was one of the Joe Meek clones that I bought years ago. I haven't seen anywhere to purchase it since then except for the overseas supplier but I am sure someone has it somewhere.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
There do not appear to be any US suppliers for this mount anymore - believe me, I looked quite thoroughly.  When I first picked up one of these mounts, it was sold as a Nady SSM-5.  Busman Audio sold the same mount under their name.  When I went to buy another a few months back, every US supplier I contacted that had these on their site for sale didn't actually have them in stock.  I contacted Nady and they no longer carry them either.  The Chinese vendor I linked is the one and only place I can find them still for sale.

The Joe Meek mount is slightly different from this one and appears to still be available on their website.  Still pretty cheap for a good shock mount, but not as cheap as the overseas supplier.  Again, I have had nothing but positive experiences with WGT via AliExpress - nothing should dissuade you from buying from them apart from the longer wait time.

My post on the Nady SSM-5 (same exact mount as the one sold by WGT and Busman): http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166001.0
Current place to buy this mount: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Professional-Microphone-Clip-Clamp-Holder-Shock-Mount-Suspension-22mm-Shotgun-Pencil-Professional-Wholesale-Hot-Sales/404390_845326327.html
Comparison pics of Schoeps, Busman, and Joe Meek: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=108038.msg1444476#msg1444476
Joe Meek Purchase Page: http://www.joemeek.com/accessories.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
cool, thanks for the info..ill go with this vendor,, whats the usual wait time? a few weeks?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
cool, thanks for the info..ill go with this vendor,, whats the usual wait time? a few weeks?

Yes, I think each of my orders took at least 3 weeks.  Don't make my mistake - order extras if you think you'll need them - at these prices it's no big deal to do that.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
My order was shipped on 1/3/15, I'll be sure to update this when I receive them.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
yup i ordered yesterday, blew it and only ordered 2. should have grabbed another..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com