Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)

<< < (2/54) > >>

johnw:

--- Quote from: dactylus on June 03, 2017, 08:02:57 PM ---^
Thanks for the link.

Are the sleds for the Sony style batteries shipping too?  I hope to see my MP-6 next week.

--- End quote ---

Yes, got mine earlier this week from B&H

johnw:

--- Quote from: willndmb on June 03, 2017, 09:04:14 PM ---The powercore 20100 says 4.8 output and the powercore + says 6
I wonder since the plus model is approved by SD that the extra output juice is required for full functionality.
The batteries seem the same with exception to the total output power

--- End quote ---

Actually it is 2.4 A for the 20100 and 3A for the + model. So the + model delivers 15W (5Vx3A) that the Mix Pre 3/6 seem to require.

rippleish20:
My conclusion is the best route is to use a battery equipped with USB-c output and a USB-c to USB-c cable. The optional AC power supply delivers 5v @ 3Amps (15 watts), which is what the USB-c Anker battery they suggest outputs. This probably is what the unit would like to see.

I bought one of these for testing

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16240

Output 2: USB-C 5V/3A

SD says the unit need 7.5 watts 5v x 1.5 amps) - this is probably the minimum needed.

The limiting factor with using a USB-c to USB-A cable and  USB-A centric battery appears to me to be the cable. These cables must be limiting amperage to .9 - 1 amp. I was also under the impression USB batteries could output 2.1-2.4 but only some cables will actually pass this through. The dual USB-a cable gets around this by doubling the amperage. I ran tonight with both USB-a end connected to the same battery and did not get warnings and have a full green plug.

Ted found two USB-C to USB-A cables that work with his current batteries. These must pass through the full amperage.  As far as I an tell this goes against the safety precautions that should be a USB-A to USB-c cable but these cables also have downwards USB-c connectors and are very appealing fro ma cable point of view

rippleish20:

--- Quote from: Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) on June 03, 2017, 05:51:50 PM ---So I did some more testing with the USB batteries with the MP6 and I have and found some interesting results. I haven't done any run times on these, but will try to today (or soon).

I purchased a Anker PowerCore 20100 to use with this. It (sort of) works. Details on what I have below (and what happens when I use it with my MP6):

3. Tecknet iEP390. Amazingly this seems to work the best. Powers the unit with a FULL GREEN USB power bar. Unfortunately it's no longer available to buy. Capacity is 9000mAh. This unit claims to output 2.1amps on 1 USB / 1A on the other.

--- End quote ---

Is this using the dual USB-a cord or a single USB-A cable?

dactylus:

Pro-Sound (NYC) is a distributor for the UK based Hawk-Woods company.  I sent Hawk-Woods a message asking about other USA distributors for these two SD approved Hawk-Woods products for the new MixPre 3/6 series.  I also sent Pro-Sound a message inquiring on pricing for the above two items.  I purchased my Aeta 4MinX from Justin @ Pro-Sound.  Unfortunately Justin no longer works there.

http://www.pro-sound.com/c/hawk-woods.html

Two of the powering choices from the SD recommended power list:

D-Tap to L-mount adapter for use with the optional MX-LMount battery sled.
See http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/LR-05.

The LR-05 allows the user to power Sony NPF cameras/equipment from an external power source. The dummy NPF battery contains an 8V regulator allowing batteries of 14.4v to run 7.2-8v cameras/equipment for a much greater run-time.

Power-con (D-Tap) - 45cm - Sony Type NPF dummy battery

Hirose to L-mount adapter for use with the optional MX-LMount battery sled.
See http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/LR-06.

Hirose 4-pin (male) - Sony NPF Dummy (45cm) 8V Regulated

The LR-06 is a dummy battery which allows the user to use a higher capacity external power source for greatly extended run times. Ideal when powering cameras such as NEX-FS700, PMW-EX1 & PMW-EX3.

45cm Length
8V regulated
Hirose 4 pin Male
Mini DV (NPF/L-Series) Dummy Battery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version