Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

16 bit still relevant?

<< < (2/9) > >>

vanark:
I've started moving to only posting my 24 bit recordings. Reason? I don't way to take the computer time to dither and resample. Simple as that. If someone wants 16 bit files, there are plenty of tools out there to do that.

thatjackelliott:
For the recordist of live unamplified music, 24 bits does offer headroom in case the drummer smacks the snare especially hard. If taping from a sound board or from mics in front of a stack, the sound system has peak limiting built in so you can push things pretty close to 0dBFS without concern that an unusually loud event will clip.

HealthCov Chris:

--- Quote from: vanark on December 08, 2017, 05:58:09 PM ---I've started moving to only posting my 24 bit recordings. Reason? I don't way to take the computer time to dither and resample. Simple as that. If someone wants 16 bit files, there are plenty of tools out there to do that.

--- End quote ---

This for me too.  I think most people simply stream the mo3 version.  I simply save to 24 bit Flaco and upload.  Want something different, learn to convert it.  I sometimes save an mo3 version and upload to my SoundCloud account because everyone is streaming it there.

aaronji:
For playback, as long as the dynamic range of the recording "fits" into 16 bits, which is probably true for virtually all live recordings, there won't be an improvement with 24 bit.  Extra bits of noise.  Since most people are recording in 24 bit, though, I can see the convenience factor of just releasing in that format.  As for frequency, as long as you hit the Nyquist frequency, there is nothing to be gained from higher rates.  You can always upsample for post.

EmRR:
Sample rate decisions should be made after listening to the quality of the converter being used.  Some sound noticeably better at specific rates, others do not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version