Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Digital Player Question

(1/5) > >>

raheen_M_Shabbazz:
Hi Gang,

Never posted round these parts before, but I figure you all are the right group to pose this question to.

I'm considering taking the leap and going ALL DIGITAL.  The stacks of discs and tapes cluttering up my life have GOT TO GO!

I'm going to get a few huge HDs and build up a virtual library instead of pissing around with discs and such.

I know, many of you are WAY ahead of me.

But, my question is this :: Which digital player would you all recommend?

There are so many of them out there -- Ipod, Neuros, Nomad, Rio, etc.

What do you all recommend?  I know Rio supports FLAC, but do any of these show hope for supporting SHN?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

jpschust:
well i love my ipod :-)  most others who own ipods will tell you the same

RRobar:
I love my iPod as well.

I don't think there will ever be a player that supports .shn as it is a compressed format not a audio codec. WinAmp plays them with the .shnamp plugin. Unlike FLAC, Mp3, Ogg, AAC which are all audio codecs.

I've been converting alot of stuff for personal playback to AAC (I'm all mac) for use in my iPod and I backup everything as I go to a 250 GB external Firewire drive (just to make it easier to load stuff back to the iPod when I want to change whats there and to avoid redoing work). I'm sure that the other player can all do what you want to do. I just really prefer the ease of use with the iPod, with my iBook it's seems less with iTunes and it's just very easy to tote around and play every where I go.

(Side note: Jonny do you still want to sell that FM transmitter/Charger you offered me awhile back?)

heath:

--- Quote from: RRobar on May 19, 2004, 02:57:07 PM ---I love my iPod as well.

I don't think there will ever be a player that supports .shn as it is a compressed format not a audio codec. WinAmp plays them with the .shnamp plugin. Unlike FLAC, Mp3, Ogg, AAC which are all audio codecs.

I've been converting alot of stuff for personal playback to AAC (I'm all mac) for use in my iPod and I backup everything as I go to a 250 GB external Firewire drive (just to make it easier to load stuff back to the iPod when I want to change whats there and to avoid redoing work). I'm sure that the other player can all do what you want to do. I just really prefer the ease of use with the iPod, with my iBook it's seems less with iTunes and it's just very easy to tote around and play every where I go.

(Side note: Jonny do you still want to sell that FM transmitter/Charger you offered me awhile back?)

--- End quote ---

curious what type of 250 gig firewire drive you've got.  I'm looking at a quantegy right now, but haven't shopped around much.

todd e:
lacie makes a good hard drive, but as damon pointed out, you must follow all steps before unplugging these units!  not exactly un'plug and play'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version