Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Streaming music from home to work

(1/2) > >>

Liquid Meat:
I have this crazy idea that I would like to stream my own music from home to work. I can only take so much Brittney, Jessica Simpson and such "music" that my coworkers listen to. I suppose that I could use shoutcast, but I am not sure what kind of bandwidth I would need at  home to do it. If I could just connect to my own box and listen that would be great. I have a cable connection at home and a pretty big pipe at work so....Can anyone suggest a way to do it or give me some idea on the bandwidth that I might be eating up running a shoutcast? I assume that it would be based on the rate that I streamed the music. I am just not sure how one would go about calculating such. I would rather not have my cable provider flagging me because of 8-10 hours of high bandwidth usage each day. Thanks folks.

Nick in Edinboro:
Given the ports are available, VNC might be a much better option.

It will do this: "If I could just connect to my own box and listen that would be great" and more.  It will be like having your home desktop at work, or vice versa.  I use it to access my work PC from home all the time and it's great.

This is what I use but there are others out there

MattD:
You can't HEAR your music over VPN, at least not that I've ever witnessed. It's great for freaking out your roomie by messing w/ your music when you're not home though.

Nick in Edinboro:

--- Quote from: MattD on June 10, 2004, 03:49:20 PM ---You can't HEAR your music over VPN, at least not that I've ever witnessed. It's great for freaking out your roomie by messing w/ your music when you're not home though.

--- End quote ---

D'oh your right Matt.  Sorry... I don't use it for that, just for working.  Thought I had an answer :P

Liquid Meat:

--- Quote from: MattD on June 10, 2004, 03:49:20 PM ---You can't HEAR your music over VPN, at least not that I've ever witnessed. It's great for freaking out your roomie by messing w/ your music when you're not home though.

--- End quote ---

Would it be possible to access my hard drives and then play the files on my box at work from files at home?

You guys rock BTW.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version