Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 Mic Blend Config Question  (Read 4447 times)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
3 Mic Blend Config Question
« on: October 02, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »
I'll be taping a show tonight from the balcony rail in a 600 seat theater. The show will have a few acoustic numbers but will otherwise be a highly amplified blues-rock trio. I have a pair of omnis and a pair of cards and will be using a MX-100 3-channel mixer. Should I use the omnis split with a card center or split the cards and use an omni for the center blend? Pros and cons of each?

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Re: 3 Mic Blend Config Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »
i too have a 3 mic config question.  on 10/23, i will be taping claypool & co.  and by then should have my  mx100 ready to go.  i am thinking of running 2 cards in din with an omni in between them all on the same Sabrasom T-bar vertically.  any comments on this pattern or suggestions of how to make it better?
thanks,
luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »
2 cards DIN
1 omni
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
like this ?

Card
omni
Card 
??

or should the omni be on the outside high or low - could there be interference with the omni in the middle?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »
JDS???

Paging Jesse.

;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 09:22:30 PM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:51:03 PM »
Keep the capsules in the same vertical plane, all in a horizontal line if you look down on them.  Choices for the  Stereo pair: CP-1 or CP-4,  Center: CP-1, CP-2, CP-3.  I prefer S:CP-1, C:CP-3.  Run the blend at 9-10 o'clock and the stereo pair at 12-1.

I have a SCI show (10-18-2002 UPS, Tacoma, WA ) on archive.org that is recorded with this arrangement that is pretty sick....

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=4115&from=dbetreeDetails

ANDY
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:58:02 PM by dwonk »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:08:57 AM »
when i used to run a 3 mic mix, i always ran

2 microtech gefell m300s (fixed cards) DIN or Ortf
with a nak cm300 w/ cp2 in the center, all on the same vertical plane

made some pretty decent tapes in some really shitty rooms with this setup. i have a primus tape that is that source if anyone is interested

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 04:34:37 PM »
What about a set up for my trio of Nach CM300?

Should I do what cayman did?  Run cardoids on either side of an Omni?

Or is using three mics just too much, and should I stick with the pair of Cardoids?
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 07:44:43 PM »
When is this option (3 mic config) a good/bad idea?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 07:54:45 PM »
Ideally, if you are running those CP-4s, you would run that CP-3 or CP-2 in the center to open up the sound a bit.  I ran the CP-1 as a stereo pair with a CP-3 in the center to make my recording more bright and crisp at SCI 10-18-2002.  It did exactly that and brought more of a center stage presence to it.  I think if you ran close to the stage, there would be benefits as well (closing that hole in the image).  Most definitely though, the CP-4 shotguns should be run with a omni or card in the center, this will eliminate the 'tubular' effect (Phish 2-15-2003 and 2-16-2003).

ANDY 

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »
Unless you like carrying xtra gear, or maybe have lots of room at a show, there is really no reason to run a center omni with 2 cards. The center omni was the best way to run shotguns and eliminate that down the hall thru the door effect(tubular). Or even with hypers. Not saying it's a bad idea to run one with cards, but more so just not really necessary.

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 01:19:37 PM »
This I know, if you run a CP-3 in the center it will make the sound more open and have extended high frequency info.  The CP-1 are like 30-18,000Hz, the CP-3 is ruler flat from 20-19,500.   It ain't much to carry around a CM300 and a CP3 cap if you were gonna run the MX100 anyway.

ANDY

jessedscott

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 08:21:36 PM »
JDS???

Paging Jesse.

;)

Well , i use a line transformer to go into the RCA IN on the UA5. My MICS are also battery powered, Naks. So the OMNI by itself with the volume knob(or gain knob) on the UA5 turned all the way up. takes the level to between -12 and -6 db's, by itself. Add the two Cards and it makes a good tape. I have also used the NAK mixer with the UA5. while I'm sure that I can get more gain with some added gear to run W/O the Nak mixer, I'd rather have the mixer too. If you can get some samples with this combo, or others get it. I like the set up, I had a line on a mixer, we'll have to see about it....

good luck! jess

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:38:53 AM by JDS »

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 01:51:04 PM »
So, there are two questions in this thread. They basically ask the same thing, only using two different configurations.

1) O -- C -- O

2) C -- O -- C

The 1st one, Omni, card, Omni is not a configuration I would run without spreading the omni's (ideally you would want about 1 metre of seperation). This configuration is very similar to what I run 99% of the time (I use two cards in the middle though).

The 2nd option, is the Card, Omni, Card configuration and this I run on ocassions, but it's not typical for me.

Both of these configurations produce a more well rounded sound than the typical stero card, card (or hyper, hyper) configuration. However, it is extremely important in both configurations to get a good mix/blend of the microphones. This can only be done through monitoring and making adjustments. Just last week I ran the 2nd option at a small venue for a friend of mine who was performing. I realized when I got there that I had left my earphones at home and there was no possible way I could mix, so I adjusted the dials based on about where I put them when I run my four mic configuration. Unfortunately, eyeballing the meters and dials isn't a substitute for listening and the mix is totally screwed up and sounds like crap. It does highlight the need for real monitoring regardless of what 3 mic mix you try.

Is one better than the other? I prefer to run spaced omni's with cards in between, but that's my personal preference. When done correctly either of these can produce some very sweet and enjoyable tapes. Case in point, my recording of Big Head Todd and the Monsters on Archive.org is the most downloaded of BHTM shows available and everybody really enjoys the sound quality... it's all about monitoring though, so I would highly recommend purchasing either earphones or headphones that will allow you HEAR what you are putting down on tape.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com