Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: State-of-the-Macintosh Questions  (Read 7122 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
State-of-the-Macintosh Questions
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:46:47 PM »
Hey guys, I haven't been around here lately...  But I'm still recording in 24/96 :)

My windows machine went belly up on me about 10 months ago, and I have built up a huge backlog of 24/96 stuff I need to get to disc (to be totally honest, I still have stuff backed up from '03!!!).  I have a Macintosh (G4 1.0Ghz, 1gig ram, SuperDrive) that I've finally decided to use for transferring material.  I haven't kept up with anything Macintosh in the taping world so I'd like to solicit some suggestions of what's the "thing to go with" nowadays in Mac software.

I need:
1. App that allows me to split 24/96 WAV files into tracks
2. App that allows me to burn these tracks to a DVD-V or DVD-A disc; preferably DVD-V but if I have to go DVD-A I'm ok with that
3. App that has a good quality downsample/dither routine for my friends without good 24/96 capable DACs (16/44.1)

I'd like:
1. The WAV editing app to allow for taping; I could then retire my ancient Dell taping laptop.  This is not a MUST, as the Dell works just fine to be honest.  It's just a bit of a pain keeping it around, charged, etc.
2. A *really good* downsample/dithering routine so my 16/44.1 will sound great on my stupidly expensive hifi gear

That's it, really, simple stuff.  I won't pretend money isn't an object as it is--I'll put up with a slightly PITA GUI to save a few bucks over buying a bunch of $700 apps.  More money to spend on other stuff  ;)

Any advice you fellas could give would be much appreciated.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: State-of-the-Macintosh Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:03:35 PM »
Nate, that you? It's Vannie from freelanderliving

Sorry, have no input on your questions, just shocked to see you over here.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 03:21:08 PM »
It's me, dude!  Nice avatar Brian ;D

I'm still taping...  Just fell out of "the scene" so to speak.  Land Rovers take up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of my time nowadays LOL

I forgot to mention above--I'm running OSX.  10.3 on the G4, 10.2 on the iBook I'd like to use for taping...

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 03:21:57 PM »
BTW I have a wmod UA5, too...  Love that thing.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 04:45:05 PM »
I need:
1. App that allows me to split 24/96 WAV files into tracks

It appears that CDWave can work with 24/96 files. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT:

However, I now see there is no version for mac...sorry  :-\
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 06:17:53 PM »
i love Spark XL for tracking, editing (including dithering) 24 bit material

and i'd upgrade the ibook to 10.3 if you are going to use it for taping.  much better with audio

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »
I second both those recs. 10.3.x has been way better for me than any of the 10.2 builds. I don't know of a DVD burning program offhand, as I use a PC for that.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »
Thanks, guys, I'll upgrade it to 10.3, then. 

As for Spark--the website says it's out of production and they replaced it with some hardware/software solution?  Am I reading that wrong?

It looks like I could use Discwelder Bronze for OSX...  Which would be ok.  I'd rather find a regular 'ol DVD solution if I could, so my friends can run the high bitrate stuff.  Does anyone know of one?

What about the cheapo $99 Cubase SE?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 01:28:51 AM »
I believe the latest beta of Sound Studio (www.felttip.com) will record and edit 24/96 files. Never used it for that myself, but I've been using it for the last five years for 16/44 transfers with very few problems. Price is right, too - $50 after a generous 14-day-usage trial period (i.e. you can use it a dozen times a day for two weeks straight, or once a month for over a year) before you have to register.

Oh yeah, and welcome back Nate...I know I knew that name from somewhere! :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:25:35 AM »
Thanks, Dave!  I see you still have your elations...  How do you like them now, after an extended period of usage?

I just noticed Guster has a new live album in stores...  Have you heard it?  Worth buying?

I need to hammer this mac software down...  My wife just got a new Powerbook from Apple as replacement for her POS iBook.  That should be a nice taping machine.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 02:24:45 PM »
As for Spark--the website says it's out of production and they replaced it with some hardware/software solution?  Am I reading that wrong?

It looks like I could use Discwelder Bronze for OSX...  Which would be ok.  I'd rather find a regular 'ol DVD solution if I could, so my friends can run the high bitrate stuff.  Does anyone know of one?

Spark is no longer made, but I think they still allow you to download it. I never got my head around that interface, but if you can handle it, it's free. Otherwise I'd recommend Peak LE or the FeltTip product.

DVD stuff... There is good news and bad news about DiscWelder Bronze. The good news is when it works, it works great for DVD-A discs. Bad news... It doesn't work with all drives even ones it supposedly works with. :-(

You must break up the file into separate wave or AIFF files, then despite a zero gap option, it still puts a break in the tune, so if you're looking for seamless audio, that isn't going to happen. :-(    (this by the way goes against what I said on the Oade board a week or so ago, I went back to check the discs I thought I did with DWB, and turns out I use a different option that made the discs DVD-V discs, not DVD-A discs.

DVD-V. The cheapest way to do this is with iDVD and iMovie. However, this means you can't use 24/96, you must use 24/48. If you want to use 24/96 on a DVD-V disc, you need to use DVD Studio Pro.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »
Ok I just bought an ibook and Im ready to start recording with it. What programs do I need for recording, spliting and editing. I have a w/mod ua-5 but other than that and Im clueless. For now 16/44.1 is fine. Thanks!
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »
Ok I just bought an ibook and Im ready to start recording with it. What programs do I need for recording, spliting and editing. I have a w/mod ua-5 but other than that and Im clueless. For now 16/44.1 is fine. Thanks!

Have you read this thread? (Seriously...).

Look at the applications mentioned in this thread and you should be set.

Wayne

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 06:31:45 PM »
Have you read this thread?

I have but I thought this thread was regarding spliting and transfering 24/96 files per the original question. Now that I know its about programs used for recording I  will read it again. Sorry but as stated IM A NOOB.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 06:34:10 PM by Nomad »
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »
I use PEAK by BIAS ( Berkely Integrated Audio Systems) with my MAc G-4 dual 533.  I have the VSt version which I paid about $399.00 for many years ago.  they sell a LE version for about $99that should do what you need.  I am still using OS9.x, but know they have an OSX version.     I have done 24/48 with it, but I think it will also do 24/96.

I also use an ECHO Gina 24 which has 8 analog in, optical/coaxial in/out for A/D or DAT to .wav ( aiff) transfers.  this product is in the $4-500 range and is not suitable for portable recording.
I have been told by serious Soundforge/wavelab users that PEAK is similar in features.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Nicaragua

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 12:02:50 AM »
You must break up the file into separate wave or AIFF files, then despite a zero gap option, it still puts a break in the tune, so if you're looking for seamless audio, that isn't going to happen. :-(

wait is this just a problem for mac? or does gapless not work on PC as well?
currently reassembling my rig due to theft by Greyhound Bus Inc employees.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 07:41:32 AM »
Thank you kindly, rocksuitcase, that app looks excellent.  They even have a trial so I can use it while it's being shipped.

I had to laugh, though, when I looked at the feature page:
• Bit depths up to 32-bit
• Sample rates up to 10Mhz

Wouldn't that be nice (except on storage space)!!!   :o

As for Discwelder--I emailed them the thread and specifically asked about the gapless burning.  I was assured the OS X version of Bronze would do gapless burning...  Their manual claims it does...  Are they just full of it, or perhaps was this fixed in a new rev?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 07:52:31 AM »
You must break up the file into separate wave or AIFF files, then despite a zero gap option, it still puts a break in the tune, so if you're looking for seamless audio, that isn't going to happen. :-(

That's a good question, I'll find out from the guy I've been dealing with on other issues.

Wayne

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 10:34:19 AM »
I ended up with PEAK 4 LE, for what it's worth...  I found it at $69.99 at my local Sam Ash, not too bad.  It's a little foreign to me at the moment, but appears to work just fine.

Now I need to find something that allows me to burn DVD-V if possible...  If not, I need to decide between setting up a windows box to burn with Audio DVD Creator (what a killer price on that app!) or buy Discwelder for the Mac.  Can't make up my mind  :)

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 11:15:55 AM »

That's a good question, I'll find out from the guy I've been dealing with on other issues.

Here is what Minnetonka claims... They say the problem is not in the burn, but in the playback system. I can only test my DVD-A discs on my Samsung player, so I'm not sure if the info is correct, but I don't have a reason to doubt him.

Wayne

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »
Now I need to find something that allows me to burn DVD-V if possible...  If not, I need to decide between setting up a windows box to burn with Audio DVD Creator (what a killer price on that app!) or buy Discwelder for the Mac.  Can't make up my mind  :)

For DVD-V, I would recommend iMovie and iDVD. Just drop your sound files into iMovie (make them separate AIFF or WAV files), then but them together. Create chapter markers for iDVD, then run the xport to iDVD. The result is a DVD-V disc.

You cannot use a sampling rate higher than 48 kHz, but it does work like a charm. If you need 96 kHz, then you'll need to pony up for DVD Studio Pro or move to DVD-A discs using DiscWelder.

Wayne

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »
I ended up with PEAK 4 LE, for what it's worth...  I found it at $69.99 at my local Sam Ash, not too bad.  It's a little foreign to me at the moment, but appears to work just fine.

pm me if you want.  I should be able to throw together some hints or tips on things you are having questions about.  It took me about 6-9 months of moderate use to really get in the swing with PEAK.  After that I have found it EXTREMELY perfect for the kind of editing I do (audience taper).
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 09:02:59 AM »

For DVD-V, I would recommend iMovie and iDVD. Just drop your sound files into iMovie (make them separate AIFF or WAV files), then but them together. Create chapter markers for iDVD, then run the xport to iDVD. The result is a DVD-V disc.

You cannot use a sampling rate higher than 48 kHz, but it does work like a charm. If you need 96 kHz, then you'll need to pony up for DVD Studio Pro or move to DVD-A discs using DiscWelder.

Wayne

Thanks man, +T.  I guess I'm going Discwelder as I want the full 24/96 as it sounds appreciably better to my ears than 24/48.

I'll keep you posted on the gapless burning--I am planning on buying Discwelder and I can try it in a few different DVD-A players.  Speaking of Discwelder, did you purchase directly from Minnetonka?  I called our local Sam Ash and they didn't carry it...  Neither did my local computer store (which was surprising to me).

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »

pm me if you want.  I should be able to throw together some hints or tips on things you are having questions about.  It took me about 6-9 months of moderate use to really get in the swing with PEAK.  After that I have found it EXTREMELY perfect for the kind of editing I do (audience taper).

Thanks!!  +T. 

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 10:44:21 AM »
Speaking of Discwelder, did you purchase directly from Minnetonka?  I called our local Sam Ash and they didn't carry it...  Neither did my local computer store (which was surprising to me).

I bought it directly from them.

Wayne

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 10:45:12 AM »
Great, thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com