Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wavelab 5.0 How to create a matrix mix (tutorial link inside)...  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Well, I just mixed up the Mule show from the Fox last Feb. So I figured I would document to process (at least my process), so others could learn how to make their own matrix recordings.

This is my first attempt to do a tutorial, so if I could get some comments from both people that are familiar with making a matrix as well as those that aren't, that would be cool. I'm not the greatest teacher, so I want to make sure this is easy to understand.

Here is the webpage I made:

http://sloppyart.bravehost.com/matrix.html

If everything looks good and a MOD wants to put a link to the page in the archive, that would be cool.

Hopefully that helps some people. Not sure if there's anything else like this out there but I figured I'd do my own anyway.

MIKE B

EDIT: To update link.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:46:45 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Wavelab 5.0 How to create a matrix mix (tutorial link inside)...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 03:01:50 AM »
Looks good +T
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:12:38 AM »
Looks good, when I get ready to render it, I always check"create a specific file".  If you do that, the option bar should not say wav pcm 16/44.1 32 Bit Float. THis can cause problems when opening up in a programn such as cd wav The 32 bit float option should be changed to just standard 16. Interesting you mention splitting the sbd into tracks, I have never done that  but will try it. Ive done 4 so far now, ,and plan to do this every time, mix the two sources seperately, instead of doing the matrix on the fly. I noticed too, on this last recording, I had to line up the SBD file just a few ms BEFORE the AUD source, so that it would line up right. Does that make sense??Even though the waveforms are lined up, maybe the word clocks in the two different devices are different, so you would have to stagger em a bit??Anyway, thanks again man. +T
Ray
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 04:17:30 AM by BigRay »

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 04:26:17 AM »
Looks good, when I get ready to render it, I always check"create a specific file".  If you do that, the option bar should not say wav pcm 16/44.1 32 Bit Float. THis can cause problems when opening up in a programn such as cd wav The 32 bit float option should be changed to just standard 16. Interesting you mention splitting the sbd into tracks, I have never done that  but will try it. Ive done 4 so far now, ,and plan to do this every time, mix the two sources seperately, instead of doing the matrix on the fly. I noticed too, on this last recording, I had to line up the SBD file just a few ms BEFORE the AUD source, so that it would line up right. Does that make sense??Even though the waveforms are lined up, maybe the word clocks in the two different devices are different, so you would have to stagger em a bit??Anyway, thanks again man. +T
Ray
exactly, when recording into 2 different devices, you are dealing with 2 different word clocks.
Unless you have a sbd >v3> and aud>V3  then you have the same word clock on both recordings.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 04:30:55 AM »
Ray
exactly, when recording into 2 different devices, you are dealing with 2 different word clocks.
Unless you have a sbd >v3> and aud>V3  then you have the same word clock on both recordings.

So then it would be necessary not to line the wavforms up exactly, but rather to stagger them slightly , with the "tape based" recorder slightly in front of the HD based one, from time to time.
+T man.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 10:22:09 AM »
This is a great tutorial, but I'm interested in the 'other' process that is more precise.  The time stretch function, who here has some more experience to make this tutorial more comprehensive?

Anyone?

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:05:10 AM »
Awesome job Mike. + T for your effort.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »
Awesome discovery!  +T for your documentation. 
Looking forward to the method of multichannel DVD-A creation.  My attempts thus far have yeilded nothing but static :(
Jim
Neumann gear slut

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 04:17:49 PM »
Looking forward to the method of multichannel DVD-A creation.  My attempts thus far have yeilded nothing but static :(
Jim

So Jim, how is static in 5.1?  ;)  I've only tried it once and really didn't get anywhere either.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:50:03 PM »
Jim

So Jim, how is static in 5.1?  ;)  I've only tried it once and really didn't get anywhere either.
Static in 5.1 is the same as stereo, 'cept louder!   A 4 channel 24/48 discrete montage wound up indicated as 24/96.  I saved it just in case the player was doing it's thing correctly, but the receiver couldn't process it.
Neumann gear slut

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 04:57:55 AM »
"If you want to stretch one file to match the other:

match up a precise start point and end point on each recording and divide the length of one segment by the length of the other (same section of music).  You'll find that one is maybe 99.98454% of the other or something like that.

Use wavelab's stretch function (it's the only one I've tried that sounds good).  Select the whole file to be shortened and do a time stretch with these settings

It's probably good to set wavelab temp files to 24 or 32 bit as well.

Note that there's no point in using anything other than the ratio box to set the stretch.  All the other boxes only appear to be more precise - in fact they don't produce the stretch that they indicate.  Rather, they always produce the nearest '3 decimal ratio', so it's better just to set it there so you can see the length of the the file you'll *actually* get.  And 3 decimals is it - any more precision ends up getting ignored. "(thanks dklein)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 05:00:41 AM »
"Here's another method to time stretch in wavelab that doesn't involve calculations. 

Get your tracks in sync in a montage. Then go to the last few minutes of the set & split them(in the middle/left of the screen hit "edit>split all tracks @ cursor").  Then move the end portion of the track that needs to be stretched so it is again in sync.  The gap you have between the track is the difference between the 2 tapes clock speeds, or drift.  Move your cursor so it is exactly @ the beg. of the end piece of the track that you intend to stretch.  Right click over the longer piece of the track that you intend to stretch & hit "transform>time stretch to cursor". Just make sure "Preserve pitch" is enabled. "

(thanks the yokel)

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 12:10:57 PM »
Good stuff, I'm learning a lot.  I was afraid of multitrack mode before!

+t for y'all.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 03:43:32 PM »
great tutorial mike B. it takes a while to actually get used to using the zoom and syncing up each song. but once you get the hang of that, it's a breeze. thanks again. many +T's

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 04:44:40 PM »
great tutorial mike B. it takes a while to actually get used to using the zoom and syncing up each song. but once you get the hang of that, it's a breeze. thanks again. many +T's

qft, only took me 2+ hrs to do my latest matrix :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com