Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

a
1 (12.5%)
b
1 (12.5%)
c
5 (62.5%)
d
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: 4 source mic comp!!! *now matrix comp too*  (Read 7610 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
4 source mic comp!!! *now matrix comp too*
« on: November 22, 2005, 05:04:38 PM »
***Just added the matrix comp***
file name:  4 source matrix comp
file name: 4 source mic comp
ftp.tapers.org
user:  ftp4all
pass:  ftp4all

or you can access through your browser here  www.tapers.org

Hey All,
I just got finished putting together a 4 source mic comp from Fareed Haques new club in Dekalb IL that I recorded last Wed.  Fareed is looking to put in a permanatly installed house recording system and we were testing mic locations.  The Band was Eric Person and Meta Four... Awesome "mainstream jazz" quartet.  Fareed sat in on the last song and that is the one I used for my test. It is on it's way up to tapers.org as we speak.  I will post back when it is moved over to the public area.  It's ready to go!!

As a side note.  Eric came up to me after the show and was very excited about being recorded!  He is getting set up on the archive now.  This band is very good and I will be posting more info about them along with the link to the archive version of the finalized recording.  In the end this will be a 4 track post matrix, mixing in the board feed.  I may do another comp with the sources all mixed with the board feed in a few days.  For now here is a link to his site.  He is very taperfriendly so feel free to catch him if you can!  http://www.ericperson.com/

Here is the info on the comp:

4 source mic comp
Eric Person and Meta Four
11-16-2005
The House Café
Dekalb, IL
Recorded by Matthew McCulloch  mmmatt@tapers.org

Eric Person - Sax
John Esposito - Piano
Kenny Davis - Bass
Peter O'Brien - Drums
W/ special guest Fareed Haque on guitar for the encore (test track)

Tracks A, B, C, D

Sources are as follows:
MBHO 603/KA200, ORTF from support post in sweet spot > R4

Neumann Km184's, ORTF from support post in sweet spot > R4

Studio Projects C4's, split omni, ~8' spread, hung over front of stage from above pointing down > macki onyx1220 > firewire > laptop

Studio Projects C1's, vertical x/y on stage 1/3 closer to piano on left, 36" high pointed at center of drumset> macki onyx1220 > firewire > laptop

All sources were normalized to 99% and dithered using wavelab

Which is which!!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 09:23:57 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
Re: 4 source mic comp!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 05:16:50 PM »
cool project, Matt, thanks, and who supplied the 184's for this comp recording?

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 05:57:09 PM »
cool project, Matt, thanks, and who supplied the 184's for this comp recording?
Thoes are fareeds personal mics.  He doesn't like them... says they are not warm enough for him.  I may offer to buy them from him, but I'm not sure yet.
     I was hoping you would see this because of your recent stage mic'ing thread.  These sources are all VERY nice.  I wonder how many people will prefer the sweetspot from the stage?  Should be fun!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »
this comp is now available for d/l  please post any comments, and your guess on which is which!  This should actually be pretty easy.

ftp.tapers.org

Matt

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »
Thoughts:

A)  Nice "in your face" recording.  Mix not exactly the way I'd like it (piano and bass not so present, drums a bit intrusive).  Interesting soundstage.

B) Far less dynamics in the soundstage (closer to a mono mix), a bit more distant. Better mix in terms of balance in instruments.

C) Very similar to B but a bit better definition IMO

D) A bit like A, but better bottom end, a bit muddy up mid-high. 

Tough call on what I like best.  I think it'd be interesting to hear a mix of A & C.  If the mix were better on A that would be my choice.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 03:19:38 PM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »
Thoughts:

A)  Nice "in your face" recording.  Mix not exactly the way I'd like it (piano and bass not so present, drums a bit intrusive).  Interesting soundstage.

B) Far less dynamics in the soundstage (closer to a mono mix), a bit more distant. Better mix in terms of balance in instruments.

C) Very similar to B but a bit better definition IMO

D) A bit like A, but better bottom end, a bit muddy up mid-high. 

Tough call on what I like best.  I think it'd be interesting to hear a mix of A & C.  If the mix were better on A that would be my choice.

Cool comments.  Do you know which is which?

Matt

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »
Only guessing but I'd say A is the onstage, B and C the sweet spot and D the hung omnis.  Between B and C, I'm not too sure because I don't know MBHOs very well, but I'll just guess that B is the 184's and C the HO's. 

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 06:35:23 PM »
I would say "C" is my fav. 

A -  Loses keys in mix.  Onstage.
B -  Very dry to my ears.  Limited extension on either highs or lows.  One of sweet spots recordings.  Flabby lows.  MBHO's?
C -  My fav.  Must be sweet spot.  Nice image on drums.  More enjoyable low end.  Pretty highs.  Neumanns?
D - Can definitely hear some latency between channels.  Must be the split omnis.  Nice balanced soundstage with even distibution.   
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 01:03:21 PM »
Comments are great!  T's to all who have lent their ears!  I will be working on the mix versions Monday or Tuesday.  I will give the answers to this then as well.

Matt

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 04:20:46 PM »
I totally agree with these points, with one exception. I think C is the MBHO tape because of the high end bump.
Also, I hear some background noise on B and C which I guess is coming from somewhere in the room, but it's drowned out on stage and thus can't be heard on A and D.

B -  Very dry to my ears.  Limited extension on either highs or lows.  One of sweet spots recordings.  Flabby lows.  MBHO's?
C -  My fav.  Must be sweet spot.  Nice image on drums.  More enjoyable low end.  Pretty highs.  Neumanns?
D - Can definitely hear some latency between channels.  Must be the split omnis.  Nice balanced soundstage with even distibution.   

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 04:23:22 PM »
this comp is now available for d/l  please post any comments, and your guess on which is which!  This should actually be pretty easy.

ftp.tapers.org

Matt

My guess, maybe totally off:

a) onstage cards: biggest stereo image
b) sweet cards: smaller stereo image
c) sweet (spaced) omnis: sounds like there is a lot "air" between the mics
d) onstage omnis:  Sounds mono like, but up close.

I like b) the best I think, both mix and image.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
After lining them all up in Vegas (see attached screenshot), I proceeded to solo/mute one track at a time, switching back and forth with the timeline running, and even trying different mixes of the tracks for the fun of it. However, considering I'm a total newb, I'll probably guess completely wrong, but I'm willing to try nonetheless...

Here are my comments:

A. Piano sounds distant, maybe a bit warm, seperation favors right channel maybe... OTRF? 184's?

B. Better balance across instruments, a little more alive and present, a bit narrow on seperation... XY? C1's, maybe C4's?

C. My favorite, a little more transparent, more alive, nice stereo seperation... C4's, maybe C1's?

D. Liked this the least, decent seperation, but a little muffled sounding... OTRF? 603's?

What was really interesting was how mixing any two or more channels pretty much sounded better than any one source by itself. I'm sure that has something to do with the harmonics/reverb/delay effect of them never being 100% perfectly aligned. Anyway, if I had to pick one favorite, it'd definately be C, with B next in line, then A, and finally D as my least favorite of the bunch.

Thanks for posting this fun little exercise...  :)

-- Taint
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 04:54:29 PM »
I totally agree with these points, with one exception. I think C is the MBHO tape because of the high end bump.
Also, I hear some background noise on B and C which I guess is coming from somewhere in the room, but it's drowned out on stage and thus can't be heard on A and D.

If C is the HO's, I need to re-evaluate my mic selection.  Maybe I should pick up a pair....
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 05:49:58 PM »
What was really interesting was how mixing any two or more channels pretty much sounded better than any one source by itself

Agreed.  I think A and C will be a nice combo.  almost like a SBD matrix, with the sweet spot auds compensating for the partial mix of the onstage mics.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »
Wow... thanks for the interest guys!  Tainted you had the right idea to get a good easy way to comp them.  I did that as well and also just burned it and listened to each all the way through.  I'm dying to let out the answers but i will say somebody has nailed it.  When doing multi/matrix stuff I really like having 2 or 3 different mic sources to play with.  Each situation is different and having options is a good thing.  sometimnes I use multiple mic sources and sometimes just one in the mixdown, but having options is a very nice luxury.  I'd like to do the same excersize again but switching a few mics around (ie using c4 cards next to the neumanns and the HO omnis over the stage). 
     A couple more clues here.... The upright bass was amplified on stage, and the upright piano was not.  There is an ever present hum in the PA that I believe to be either the snakes, or the lack of a power conditioner on the amplifier (which is in a back room with the crossover on a different power source).. 
     The house snakes that were in use by the club are old... I'm sure this contributed to some of the lackluster sound comming from the stage sources as they were patched on the snakes.  Regardless of what mic locations are to be used in the house system, I will be doing deicated custom cable runs for the room mics, and if Fareed will spring for it I will be redoing all his snakes, and interconects between the foh booth and the amp room that is behind the stage.  FWIW I did test my connections to the console and the hum was not on my end, although it is not uncommon for my mixer to cause these problems if I don't have the exact same power source as the house PA, or a ground lift in use on my mixer.
     I'm going to try to get the mixed sources done tonight.

Here is a pic of the stage after the show shoing my mics... my pics of the mics on the post didn't come out.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com