Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

a
1 (12.5%)
b
1 (12.5%)
c
5 (62.5%)
d
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: 4 source mic comp!!! *now matrix comp too*  (Read 7608 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: 4 source mic comp!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »
I think you should let the thread run a little longer for others who might want to take a crack at it. But for those who have already guessed, maybe you could PM us with the breakdown (keep a little txt file you can cut and paste or something)? Anyway, just an idea...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: 4 source mic comp!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 12:10:21 PM »
good idea tainted... pms on the way

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: 4 source mic comp!!! *now matrix comp too*
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
matrix comp is up.  letter codes are different for thoes who know... this should be a little tougher but still not so tough. 

file name:  4 source matrix comp
ftp.tapers.org
user:  ftp4all
pass:  ftp4all
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »
You might want to delete the photo because it gives some of the mics away...  :P
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 10:54:12 PM »
You might want to delete the photo because it gives some of the mics away...  :P
no the sources are all already listed in the first post.  I want people to know what is there and how I used them.  The only question is which is which.

Matt

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 12:24:41 AM »
Matt you need to talk him into replacing those cheap plastic JBL speakers for some Myer boxes. >:D
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »
Matt you need to talk him into replacing those cheap plastic JBL speakers for some Myer boxes. >:D

I'm sure that is great advice Brad, but probably not the biggest priority.  In the case of this jazz quartet all the PA was doing was being a vocal mic that caught some drums and sax, being an overhead for the piano, and generating a bunch of hum... the board feed almost sounded like a multitrack chanel of piano only!  New club owned by a musician... baby steps!  I'm hoping he'll let me rerun the snakes, and maybe switch out the amp or put in another furman if that is where the hum is comming from.
     Let me know what you think of the comps Brad... as always I am interested to hear your opinions and insight.

Matt

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 12:10:55 PM »
is the sound system being run on the same power leg as lights, etc?  This can often be the cause of hum.  If the sound system is sharing power with the rest of the venue he would probably be better off to have a seperate power line installed that would run the audio stuff only.  It may cost a little more now, but will be well worth it in the long run.  When you unhook all the snake channels from the board is the hum still present?  Have you lifted the power supply to the board to see if that alters the hum? If yes is the answer to these its very likely to be a dirty power issue.   Another thing you might try is if the venue is sharing power between audio/lights/etc is to turn up the PA to hear the hum, then start unplugging stage lights, etc one by one.  Sometimes you can find the culprit that way as well.  HUms are a pain in the ass to find, and sometimes you just dont. :'(   Once we pulled and reinstalled a whole PA before a show to no avail. Good luck!
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 12:19:04 PM »
is the sound system being run on the same power leg as lights, etc?  This can often be the cause of hum.  If the sound system is sharing power with the rest of the venue he would probably be better off to have a seperate power line installed that would run the audio stuff only.  It may cost a little more now, but will be well worth it in the long run.  When you unhook all the snake channels from the board is the hum still present?  Have you lifted the power supply to the board to see if that alters the hum? If yes is the answer to these its very likely to be a dirty power issue.   Another thing you might try is if the venue is sharing power between audio/lights/etc is to turn up the PA to hear the hum, then start unplugging stage lights, etc one by one.  Sometimes you can find the culprit that way as well.  HUms are a pain in the ass to find, and sometimes you just dont. :'(   Once we pulled and reinstalled a whole PA before a show to no avail. Good luck!
yeah... I'm going to get out there and trouble shoot the PA... I can run the electric for him if his service is updated... not sure how that would fly code wise, but we could always say he did it himself, or just have an electrician come tie it into the box... wait it's Ill and they require pipe... maybe not!  I will trouble shoot it one of these days but he is 2+ hrs away and it will take the better part of a day to really dig into it and run the house mic cables.  Either way I want to change out the snakes... they are ancient, and only 16 chan so not too much soldiering!

Thanks again brad for the advice!  T

Matt

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 12:20:54 PM »
Sure thing.  Besides chasing that hum, this sounds like a fun project for sure.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 12:27:53 PM »
You get all the fun jobs >:( ;)

A = MBHO
B = C1
C = C4
D = Neumann

... Based on sound stage and on what I know of the C4/C1 sound.  Def'ly understand why the "higher priced spread" is so popular but my budget still has yet to match my palate.  Thus I'm still listening to "I Can't Believe it's Not Newman's!"  ;D

I'm liking the C trac as well although I haven't voted.

ed to say:  Oh, does the R4 have any color to it compared to the Onyx?

Ok... for thoes who don't know Dave, he has a habit of going from point A to point C without ever telling you point B... Was that your guess for the matrix files or for the mic files dave?  I shut down voting because of the 2 different comps now available.  Dave is also one of the nicest guys you could find... doesn't even mind it when I bust his balls!  T's for the thread guys!  Thanks for your ears.

Matt

Offline cdevs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 04:06:43 PM »
time to hang my ears out there

mics only:
a= SP-C4 split omnis
b= km184s
c= mbhos
d= SP-C1s x/y onstage

Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 10:16:55 PM »
I thought I'd be able to pick out my own mics pretty easily, but it took a lot more thought than that.  I want to think that they're C, but still not too sure.  I like C's sound the most, especially the presence of the piano.  B is nice as well, but missing some detail that C has.

I'll echo this guess because it seems to hold true to my ears, but now I need to know the answer!  :P
A: C1
B: KM184
C: HO's
D: C4

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
The final matrix files (whole show) are now available on tapers.org  voting is for the mic comps only... not the matrix comp  ;D

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=55448.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com