Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 question  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Uncle Funk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Marcbase
JB3 question
« on: November 23, 2005, 11:29:24 AM »
First, I looked though all the pertinent FAQs and couldn't find anything specifically relating to this, but apologies if I missed it.

I taped Jeff Tweedy in London last night (DPA 4061s > custom battery box > JB3) and everything appeared fine at the time.  Recorder saved the track, turned off and shut down as per normal.

When I tried to transfer this morning I got the following error:
"The operation failed.  Ensure player is properly connected before trying again."

Other files on my JB3 transfer fine.

When playing back the file on the JB3 itself, it stutters for the first few seconds (the hard drive appears to be working hard) and then plays fine.  All of the music is saved there as far as I can tell.

I guess my question is two fold.  Has anyone else had experience of this, and is there a way of getting that file off of the JB3 other than through the playcentre/notmad/etc applications?

I would hate to have to ditch this show when it all seems to be there and is annoyingly inaccessible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
If u have a second JB3 u could dl it to the 2nd JB3 and them try ul it to the comp.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

sml42

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 03:29:04 PM »
The jb3 transfer protocol does actually allow you to start a transfer from any point in the file. Here is my experience: I use linux as my primary desktop machine, and 'gnomad2' as my file transfer utility. For whatever reason, my particular usb controller and my particular jb3 do not get on well - I was getting random transfer failures (it would abort the transfer at a random point in the file). I spoke with the gnomad2 developers, and they couldn't reproduce my fault - their hardware 'just worked' - although they had had other similar bug reports. Their solution was "re-start the transfer" which would be fine if I was tranferring a few MB mp3s, but I had basically a 100% failure because my .wav recordings were so large! Long story short, I hacked gnomad2 to resume transfers from the point it crapped out, it was very kludgy but worked (I now use a winxp laptop with nomad explorer, and no problems now).

Anyway... where I am leading... if your file is only problematic in the first few seconds then you just need to skip past that, and download the rest of the wav file. Based on what you've said I'm optimistic of recovery. If you're using linux I can let you have my hacked-up gnomad2, and talk you through what's needed - pm me. If you're not using linux... I could probably do the transfer for you, again pm me.

Once you have everything transferred off the jb3 you do need to figure out what happened. Perhaps the jb3 was shaken too hard causing bad write; perhaps the hard drive is on its way out. If it were me, I'd be inclined to put a new hard disc in there - lots of info on how to do this in the faq (I think).

best regards,
stephen

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »
+t Stephen for making some suitable suggestions. Hope you get the problem fixed, UF.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
first of all, listen to everything steven just said.  that's one of the most inteligent posts I've seen in a while and it reminds me of why I love this board.  second, I would try usb v fire wire if you can.  I've heard of lots of people who get some erreor or another with one cord but not the other.  also try different apps.   I use xnjb (for mac os X).  it is flawless exept usb only.  lastly, and this method sucks,  if you can hear it, you can get it to your computer, one way or another.  run line out into a decent soundcard with an analog I/O.  or even a cheap external like the griffin iMic.  under no circumstances should you have to ditch the recording. 

good luck
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Uncle Funk

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Marcbase
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 04:26:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Stephen - pm on the way to you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com