Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-1 compact flash framing error (errors with CF card)  (Read 2089 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Edirol R-1 compact flash framing error (errors with CF card)
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »
Hello, I just bought a nice new R-1 from Cascade Media and a 4GB compact flash card from newegg.com  At about halfway through the 4GB card, I got an error in the recording, though I didn't know this until I reviewed the recording the next day. It is called a "framing error" and is just two seconds of garbage noise. Basically, it just ruins two seconds of the recording and the normal recording then continues immediately after the noise.

I know of a 4GB Dane-Elec CF card that had this problem *twice* in its 4GB of space, when me and a friend recorded Ben Harper at the e-factory in Philly last July. The owner of that Dane-Elec card exchanged it for a new Dane-Elec card and no longer had the "framing error" problem.

If anyone out there knows of PNY being a cheap/bad card overall and suggests I try SanDisk, Kingston Elite, or something else, please let me know. Thanks!

-Tom in NJ

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Edirol R-1 compact flash framing error (errors with CF card)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »
the "noise" should be recoverable.  clip out the bad spot, save it as "raw" with the proper bit/sample rate.  open as raw, add an offset (try +1 or +2), and the music should be there.  sometimes the channels will flip, but that's an easy fix.  save it as "wav" and insert it back where it belongs.  you might get audible skips where the noise started and stopped.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:44:42 PM »
thanks. I'm calling newegg now to swap the card for a kingston elite pro 4gb.
-Tom

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 05:21:18 PM »
good call tom.  also glad to hear you bought your own r-1, that's exciting news!  :-)

ps -- when you borrowed mine, the 4gb card onboard at that point was a Sandisk Ultra II card.  i've done several dozen sessions with it and haven't had a framing error.

i also own a 2gb kingston elite pro and have used it for opening acts a couple of times -- no issues there either.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:38:39 PM by sleepypedro »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com