Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Patchers and the 722  (Read 5342 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Patchers and the 722
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »
Anyone allow patchers? Had a few ask but told them it was still to new to me and really didn't know how to facilitate a patch. For a digi patch I'm assuming you use the BNC out on the right side of the unit, but if I'm recording 24/96 what gets fed to the patcher? And if they can't handle the 24/96 just offer analog out?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Patchers and the 722
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:18:26 PM »
Anyone allow patchers? Had a few ask but told them it was still to new to me and really didn't know how to facilitate a patch. For a digi patch I'm assuming you use the BNC out on the right side of the unit, but if I'm recording 24/96 what gets fed to the patcher? And if they can't handle the 24/96 just offer analog out?

I have given patches to other 722 users (actually 744 users for their additional 2 channels) via bnc adapter->coax and it fed them them 24/96 signal.  I have offered the digital signal out to 16 bit patchers with the qualification that I assumed it would truncate the signal, but havent verified and had no idea what it sounded like..at that point all of them ended up taking the line out analog singal.

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:25:07 PM »

I have given patches to other 722 users (actually 744 users for their additional 2 channels) via bnc adapter->coax and it fed them them 24/96 signal.  I have offered the digital signal out to 16 bit patchers with the qualification that I assumed it would truncate the signal, but havent verified and had no idea what it sounded like..at that point all of them ended up taking the line out analog singal.

I was wondering the same about truncating. So for the analog out I'll need 2 BNC adapters and 2 coax cables?? Just more shit to carry. I could always switch to 16/44, but why would I do that ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 07:49:23 PM by ts »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
i may have to try one night feeding my R300 dat deck a 24/96 signal and see what happens with the truncated signal

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 03:41:43 PM »
I wouldn't imagine the DAT deck would sync to the 96kHz signal.  Truncating 24bits down to 16 is one thing, but unless you're running 24/48 or 24/44.1, I think patchers are gonna be out of luck if they're using older technology.  Report back your findings though!

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »
I'd just give them the 1/8" tape out. If you use the digi out you might have to set it to pro or consumer depending on the gear patching, but I would assume it would truncate and the sample rate would be whack if locking at all. There is a dither option in the menu, but haven't investigated it.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »
I'd just give them the 1/8" tape out. If you use the digi out you might have to set it to pro or consumer depending on the gear patching, but I would assume it would truncate and the sample rate would be whack if locking at all. There is a dither option in the menu, but haven't investigated it.

Yea, the 1/8 inch out looks like the sane way to go. What type of connection is that on the analog outs?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:03:57 PM »
I'd just give them the 1/8" tape out.

yeah, this is what I was trying to say I did...I know some folks have made cables with mini connectors for the odd adapter outs..I am jut not in any hurry to do that for patchers

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:31 PM »
::sortof relates::

I have run the v3 2448 spdif out to a microtracker/tascam dap1(<for backup) and Im must admit, Im not all that pissed off about the tape the dap1 gets.   Without serious critical listening of the DATs, I can say it sounds allmost as good as running line into the dap1.  It does sound a little "pinched" as an off the cuff description, and if I got a patch from someone giving me a 24 bit signal at a show, I wouldnt be dissapointed at all.  Havent tried feeding my dap1 a 2496 signal though, I would imagine it still works right?   allthough I dunno..

relating to to the thread though, Id take the analog out of the 722 for sure if I didnt have a 24 bit recorder..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 09:03:58 PM »
I have made some cables for the mini-xlr out for others but never broken down and made a set for myself.  I generally offer the tape-out if anyone wants it.  A guy came up w/ a M1 a few months ago but didn't have the proper analog cables, only had a 7pin, didn't try the digipatch, I was running 24/96 so I doubt it woudld have synced.

We have sent Waynes DEVA a digi signal a few times from a 722 and it worked flawlessly.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 09:12:53 PM »

I was wondering the same about truncating. So for the analog out I'll need 2 BNC adapters and 2 coax cables?? Just more shit to carry. I could always switch to 16/44, but why would I do that ::)

The BNC connecters are for the digi input and output. The mini-xlr's are the analog outputs. You can control the attentuation from the menus to the mini-xlr outs to boost or lower the output signal. I am not sure if it affects the 1/8" tape out though. I would assume not? IMO the mini-xlr's out are a pain in the ass just to help someone patch, but for home playback now that is a different story.

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 10:12:24 AM »
i may have to try one night feeding my R300 dat deck a 24/96 signal and see what happens with the truncated signal

It won't recognize anything in high resolution, and might not even recognize the 24/48 signal

yup, tried it this morning, wouldnt lock on at all

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 10:49:32 AM »
We have sent Waynes DEVA a digi signal a few times from a 722 and it worked flawlessly.

Yes, but you're also talking pro gear to pro gear... I know when I gave a patch to a D7 user, we couldn't use the digital out on the Deva because the AES digital signal freaks out the D7 and it thinks it's copy protected, so it tosses up the inhibit screen. We ended up going analog out, and honestly that sounded great.

With people running 24/96 on their units, it's probably best to provide patchers an analog feed instead of a digital feed.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »
i record at 24/96.  unless they can handle that digital stream, they get the analog 1/8" tape-out.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
the mini-xlr > RCA is an easy set of cables to have around and it works well with the DAP1.  sony DATdecks will have a harder time, in that they would also need a splitter to take the two channel RCA > 1/8" mini.

Zman has the mini-xlrs, and they rock.  he runs the analog into his dap1, regardless of bit depth and sampling rate, for a playback tape.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com