Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack mods?  (Read 17611 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtrack mods?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »
It isn't a matter of 'could' it is a matter of 'would'.  Those are simple mods and easy to do (with the exception of the battery).

How much are you willing to pay for those mods to a $300 product? And let's say the MT case gets cracked while being opened, how does the person doing the work get a replacement part? What if the mt just doesn't work after being opened up (not modded, just opened up..)? I am not offering to do work on microtracks, just pointing out that there isn't much of a biz case for the mods.

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 02:48:41 PM »
It isn't a matter of 'could' it is a matter of 'would'.  Those are simple mods and easy to do (with the exception of the battery).

How much are you willing to pay for those mods to a $300 product? And let's say the MT case gets cracked while being opened, how does the person doing the work get a replacement part? What if the mt just doesn't work after being opened up (not modded, just opened up..)? I am not offering to do work on microtracks, just pointing out that there isn't much of a biz case for the mods.
The product cosst more over here.
If the MT is $300 I may want to spend $150 for the mods I described (except battery mod) including snailmail shipping.
$200 with the battery?

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »
Has anyone considered modifying the 1/8" input jack to act as a carrier to the 1/4" jacks by cutting the traces for the 1/8" inputs and re-routing them to the 1/4"? This would be done with the purpose of avoiding the necessary use of any converter cables for someone who what's to run stealth mics or any input with a 1/8" connector.
dB-

This mod would be easy to do but pretty much pointless!
Yes you would be able to use a smaller jack to attach your mics/preamp but you would still have the problematic noise from the 1/4" inputs gain stage and crucially no powering to the mics (c.f. a dongle).

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 11:20:44 AM »
Pointless?
 The MicroTrack does not except a line level through the 1/8" inch input like it does to the 1/4" input. I know several people here like myself who run dpa4060's and have to run them into the 1/4" inputs with all kinds of adapters because the output of the mic is just too hot for the 1/8" input. So the "point" is to utilize the 1/8" jack while utilizing the low gain of the 1/4" inputs. It's either this - or reverse engineer the analog path of the 1/8" inputs and replace whatever microscopic components are adding gain to the signal.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 01:31:03 PM »
I myself am running 4061's via a homemade dongle into the 1/4"'s but I can't see the point of the mod your describing, yes you have something closer to line level (but still 6db higher according to some postings), But then you still have to power the mics either with a battery box (SP or DPA) or MMA 6000 so there's no gain in carrying less stuff or being more stealthy.

It's either this - or reverse engineer the analog path of the 1/8" inputs and replace whatever microscopic components are adding gain to the signal.
For me this is the real way forward, although as I posted in the oade forum I don't have the bottle (or eyesight) to do it myself.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 01:35:54 PM by cybermansrev »

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »
If anyone has any insight on the 1/8" signal path and would like exchange ideas, let me know. Since I prefer to run my R1 over my MicroTrack, I'm willing to chop mine up a bit to see what kind of improvements can be made. I'm fortunate to have access to quality solder re-work stations with lighted scopes so working some of these microscopic components isn't as taxing.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 12:52:56 AM »
This mod would be easy to do but pretty much pointless!
Yes you would be able to use a smaller jack to attach your mics/preamp but you would still have the problematic noise from the 1/4" inputs gain stage and crucially no powering to the mics (c.f. a dongle).
I have a battery box. What noise are you talking about?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 12:56:32 AM »
I myself am running 4061's via a homemade dongle into the 1/4"'s but I can't see the point of the mod your describing, yes you have something closer to line level (but still 6db higher according to some postings), But then you still have to power the mics either with a battery box (SP or DPA) or MMA 6000 so there's no gain in carrying less stuff or being more stealthy.
For me about 6dB reduction or maybe 10-12 dB would be best. YMMV. Maybe the L/M/H switches can be changed somewhat so that the gain ratio's are modified?
It's either this - or reverse engineer the analog path of the 1/8" inputs and replace whatever microscopic components are adding gain to the signal.
For me this is the real way forward, although as I posted in the oade forum I don't have the bottle (or eyesight) to do it myself.
Can we improve on the opamps, etc used?
Can they be `easily` replaced? (BGA?)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »
what about an inline attenuator ?

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2006, 11:11:20 AM »
what about an inline attenuator ?

Well it would certainly reduce the db but would also worsen the s/n ratio and mean more gear.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »

I've been successful with modifying the gain on the 1/8" inputs - it's now dropped by -6db. As soon as the appropriate parts arrive next week I'll finalize the gain down another -6db and audition a couple of opamp replacements. Unless you work in a technical repair facility with access to proper re-work equipment, I unfortunately would not suggest taking a crack at modding the MT. The components which need replacing are really microscopic and their placement on the circuit board is so tight next to other components, that it is so easy to destroy other components in the process, or pull pads and/or traces off the board - which is the worst.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »

I've been successful with modifying the gain on the 1/8" inputs - it's now dropped by -6db. As soon as the appropriate parts arrive next week I'll finalize the gain down another -6db and audition a couple of opamp replacements. Unless you work in a technical repair facility with access to proper re-work equipment, I unfortunately would not suggest taking a crack at modding the MT. The components which need replacing are really microscopic and their placement on the circuit board is so tight next to other components, that it is so easy to destroy other components in the process, or pull pads and/or traces off the board - which is the worst.
Hmmm. Getting the 1/8" input levels on par with the 1/4" ones or slightly lower (less sensitive) would be nice.
Would that be possible? Would the audio performance be the same as the 1/4" inputs?

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »

Hmmm. Getting the 1/8" input levels on par with the 1/4" ones or slightly lower (less sensitive) would be nice.
Would that be possible? Would the audio performance be the same as the 1/4" inputs?

Yes, the mod that I did would come close to matching the input levels of the 1/4" inputs. Doug Oade has mentioned that the 1/8" jacks prove to be less noisy - so given a proper gain mod to the 1/8" circuit, it would out perform the 1/4" inputs.
dB-
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:01:06 AM by neutrino »
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 04:53:27 AM »
I am going to work on a mod for the microtrack in the next 2 weeks since I just finished the R4.
Got any updates? I am very interested!

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2006, 12:55:36 AM »
Interesting, will send a PM.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com