Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which dongle is the dongle for me  (Read 2976 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Which dongle is the dongle for me
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »
Dongle, dongle, dongle, dongle.  What a great word.

So the Sound Pros 1/8" > TRS dongle I have right now is annoying to use.  It's too long and is apt to break the connection if it's bumped.  This is no good for stealthing situations.  But! Sound Pros sells other dongles that are lower profile and probably more stable... but why are there are so many and which one is the one I need for my mics?

This is the one I have: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MINI-TRS

These are the other options they offer:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-INTERFACE
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MIC-POWER
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MIC

Does anyone have any experience using these with the CMC-8 mics SP sells?  If I get the MIC-POWER box, can I ditch the SPSB-6 I use to power the mics?

Offline jcme262

• Taperssection Member
  • Zinky gave me permanent tinnitus
Re: Which dongle is the dongle for me
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:09:22 PM »
Yeah I have a party hat as well  :laugh: if your stuck on SP you might as well get the basic model since your running the spsb-6 unless your tossing it for the all in one interface. But they all cost to much for what they are. Somebody skilled on the board needs to take this up and build something like this with 1/8 female and will all jump on board.   ;D

Quote from: Zaphod link=action=profile;u=390
Crowd chatter isn't terrible. But yeah we did have roving packs of hoes camping under the stand.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:25:11 PM »
Yeah I have a party hat as well  :laugh: if your stuck on SP you might as well get the basic model since your running the spsb-6 unless your tossing it for the all in one interface. But they all cost to much for what they are. Somebody skilled on the board needs to take this up and build something like this with 1/8 female and will all jump on board.   ;D

Four words: Fuck the party hat. :birthday:

There are a few people who make them but not for production.  I asked ToddR if he could do it but he didn't seem up to the task since it requires work to make the low profile mold.

Will the mic-power model adequately power the mics as the SPSB-6 does?  I can do without the bass roll-off... I just need less shit sticking out of my pockets and some way to keep the diginoise to a minimum.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
Just my .02... I use the sonic studios type dongles (pictured above).  While it may seem a little expensive, if you can swing the cost it is very much worth the investment.  Guysonic uses top qulaity parts and cables and the molding can't be beat.  When I bought my cable for the MT it was about $20 more than a SP cable and worth every penny.  Every time I see somone post about these I think to my self that I'm glad I spent the extra few $$ up front and got something I am really happy with.

EDIT:
PS: If you don't want the exact cable above just contact Guysonic.  He will get you what you need/want.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:55:32 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 05:59:13 PM »
Just my .02... I use the sonic studios type dongles (pictured above).  While it may seem a little expensive, if you can swing the cost it is very much worth the investment.  Guysonic uses top qulaity parts and cables and the molding can't be beat.  When I bought my cable for the MT it was about $20 more than a SP cable and worth every penny.  Every time I see somone post about these I think to my self that I'm glad I spent the extra few $$ up front and got something I am really happy with.

EDIT:
PS: If you don't want the exact cable above just contact Guysonic.  He will get you what you need/want.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get in contact with him ASAP.

Offline jcme262

• Taperssection Member
  • Zinky gave me permanent tinnitus
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 07:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get in contact with him ASAP.

I think the SP dongle thing would work just as your spsb-6

Let me know how your conversation with Guysonic goes

Are you be looking for 1/8 female on the other end? if so get a price on 2 and see if he'lll dealĀ  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:14:35 PM by jcme262 »
Quote from: Zaphod link=action=profile;u=390
Crowd chatter isn't terrible. But yeah we did have roving packs of hoes camping under the stand.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »
old thread, but hoping others will come back.

I've wondered this same thing with that top most listed dongle (from SP) (ie not good for stealth purposes, when you have everything in your pockets etc.)

Was curious though, what about this dongle from SP, anyone use this into their MT ??
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-MICROTRACK-MINI-TRS-A.jpg

** edit **
this SP cable/adapter looks a little bit better. But for my needs it'd have to terminate to a 1/8" female connector (so I can plug my batt box and/or SP-PREAMP into it)
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/ISI-SPA-PM4.jpg

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:41:44 PM by norma023 »

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 12:54:17 PM »
I use the black block-style interface which provides power (12v) - this allows me to go mics to MT directly, with no extra wires, unless I need to run a preamp after the mics. It's pricey, but keeps everything low profile. I started with the other (much cheaper) one, but if you want a small package, this is the way to go. You can also get a cheaper one without battery power, but then you're running a battery box between the mics and MT.

Scott
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com