Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker vs. R-9  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Re: Microtracker vs. R-9
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 01:06:30 PM »
Microtrack has a digital input. The R-09 does not.

This to me is the single biggest reason to get the MT over the R-09 even with all the positives of the R-09.

well that all depends if you want to use an outboard A/D or not... I'm not planning too so I'm just waiting for 4GB cards to be supported.
Retired Taper

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
would there be a workaround for the digital inputs? Also a lot of people are downing the Microtrack... Any reasons why??

The digital input comes into play when you patch from someone else or if you are using an external A/D converter.  Basically you are using the MT as a storage device.  It is a handy feature and is the way I use my MT about 95% of the time.

As to the MT bashing?  I think it is pretty much agreed that the device was released prematurely.  There have been lots of quirks and issue that given fairly superficial testing could have been avoided.  The current firmware is substancially more stable and the devices are working well for people in a wide range of situations.  Given the features and the price it is still a good value.

And only one has exploded that we know of so far!

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline ghostyroasty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
Boy that is reassuring!! How about the limiter? I've heard some people recording a lot with distortion... how could it be avoided on the Microtrack besides getting the  10 db pad? As you might be able to read, I'm a newbie to recording. That might be why I'm so torn between the two!

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »
oh, and I will be using it to record audio live as well... I need a great all around type deal!

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
Isn't the general consensus that the MT isn't good for recording analog line-in due to the fact its adds gain when run that way?

I'd say if your running digital-in the MT will suit you well, if its analog line-in go for the R-09.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 01:36:44 PM »
I'd say if your running digital-in the MT will suit you well, if its analog line-in go for the R-09.

Exactly..  The only thing I just MUST add...  The Microtrack BLOWS away the R-09!  ::)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »

Exactly..  The only thing I just MUST add...  The Microtrack BLOWS away the R-09!  ::)

spoogles unavailable for comment...

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »

In true Hollywood style at that!  ;)
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »
Would it be safe to assume that the Microtrack is a great all around performer? Decent analog, good digital, good for live recording?

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »
Would it be safe to assume that the Microtrack is a great all around performer? Decent analog, good digital, good for live recording?

abso-friggin-lutely not.

i don't think you could find a single person on this board -- even relatively happy MT owners -- who would say it's a "great all around performer".

if you yourself hold that opinion, you haven't read enough of the MT threads.

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »
Ok then R-09, great all around with no digital?? Better?? Sleepypedro, I'll respect your word, since I've read a lot of the other posts of yours on here.   :) So I guess it is the R-09 for me unless someone can change my opinion!

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
Ok then R-09, great all around with no digital?? Better?? Sleepypedro, I'll respect your word, since I've read a lot of the other posts of yours on here.   :) So I guess it is the R-09 for me unless someone can change my opinion!

well, i don't mean to posture as an authority, cos i'm not, but...

basically it comes down to this:  if you're going to be steamed about not having a digital in, don't get an R09.  BUT... if you're not going to use the digital in on your POS microtracker on a very regular basis, please banish thoughts of buying a microtracker from your head.

it's that easy.

here's more fuel for the fire, literally and figuratively:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=64648.0

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »

I assume by the smilies that it literally "blows away" the R-09 when the microtracker explodes?  Or is there a more technical reason? :)
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 02:13:59 PM »
You guys are great. I'm glad I found this place. I think I will go with the R-09 unless I see something in the next couple hours to swerve my mind yet again.... Any place to get it cheaper than $399? I want to also order the case/tripod for it, and get a dual mic preamp, or a cheap mixer to run the mics through.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »
Boy that is reassuring!! How about the limiter? I've heard some people recording a lot with distortion... how could it be avoided on the Microtrack besides getting the  10 db pad? As you might be able to read, I'm a newbie to recording. That might be why I'm so torn between the two!

If you record through the 1/8" jacks, the gain is a problem. The 10db pad or any simple attenuator will solve this. I have heard people say they have problems with the TRS 1/4 " jacks too, but I think this may be partly user error. I say this for two reason (and I may still be wrong), One, it is critical that the L/M/H switch be on L, and two, the newer if not newest firmware must be in use. If you look at the measurements with that scenario in place, it seems unlikely that the TRS 1/4 " jacks would distort. They have not for me while I do need an attenuator for the 1/8" jacks.

Here are the measurements of sensitivity for the 2 inputs:
http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

It has a lot of useful data, and the measurments are down the page a bit.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com