Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should I stick with 16bit??? Or should I go 24bit???  (Read 5255 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Should I stick with 16bit??? Or should I go 24bit???
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
Can my dinosaur P2-300 handle a DVD burner??? 

twatts, one thing to consider is that 24-bit files are HUGE!  Does the dinosaur have enough HD space to handle this stuff?  Also, on an older machine, I'd imagine dithering/resampling is going to take quite a while.

I can manage the HD space, but yeah, you're right about the dither/resample...  Right now it takes forever to go 16/48 > 16/44...

Maybe I should update my PC before I do anything!  Hahaha, so many new toys to buy!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »

agree with everything Michael said...I think it was Boswell who said with 24 bit it was like he had just gotten his first dat...having to learn all the workflow and quirks...but imo, you can get pretty quick on the workflow. 

Agreed, just as I'd gotten totally comfortable with dithering, resampling, burning DVD-A, etc. I bought a new Mac. Talk about completely starting over...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »

But there is a down side - there is more post processing.   With DAT I could get a CD transfer through the CDRW700 in an evening.  With 24-bit, I had to get software and a new machine to run windows.  Also, it took a while to get a workflow I could deal with.   Including tracking, compressing, authoring the 24-bit version, writing multiple backups to different DVD media, processing down to 16-bit, it takes me about 4 hours to get a show ready for the car.   I'm way way behind in tracking shows.  I have stacks of discs and HDs with masters that have never been tracked or played back except through the cassette adapter on the ride home from the show.  If you have time for the post processing, you can make CDs for now and when you upgrade your playback you'll have the 24-bit goodness waiting on you.  I don't know how some people get stuff out so quickly.

I roll at 24/44.1, then no resampling required and I just have to dither the files, which is relatively quick. With this samplling rate I can usually fit raw WAV files of both the 24 bit and 16 bit versions of a show on a single DVD. This is definitely not as sexy as rolling 24/96, but has some practical advantages. But I am still way behind on tracking and backing my stuff too!

Given that Blu-ray and HD-DVD are hitting the market, maybe you can consolidate your optical disk archiving, even for 24/96 files, to a single disk in the near future.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »
i may start doing the same.  it seems that the bit depth is more important than the sample rate.  the resampling is a royal PITA fur sure. although i play almost all my shows thru my puter nowadays anyway, so i don't do much conoversion to redbook anymore.  i'll have try the 24/41.1 for a spell...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 10:14:07 PM »
I agree about the bit depth.   Wayne sent out those comparison tracks 24/48 vs 24/96 and honestly I never could tell the difference.   But I still can't help myself - I run 96k.

I think it was Boswell who said with 24 bit it was like he had just gotten his first dat...

When I first read that, I thought you wrote "said with 24 bit it was like he had just gotten his first date...: and I thought "yeah, it really was that good".  ;)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
When I first read that, I thought you wrote "said with 24 bit it was like he had just gotten his first date...: and I thought "yeah, it really was that good".  ;)

you know it is funny how that analogy still works ;D

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
I run 24/44.1. I run 24-bit for three reasons: (1) it gives me added headroom while recording, (2) it reduces the potential for introducing quantization noise during any edits/fades/effects/eq/compression/mixing, and (3) it leaves a higher-quality original source for achival. I record 44.1 for three different reasons: (1) I simply can't hear the difference, (2) it cuts the file size in half (from 96) and that is a big difference when running 24-bit to begin with, which helps lower storage requirements, removes the dreaded split workflow, and increases the speed of any edits/effects rendering, and (3) I don't have to resample when moving down to 16-bit for cd playback. Anyway, that's my take on the topic these days FWIW...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com