Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 won't power up!!  (Read 2835 times)

Offline mpassero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB3 won't power up!!
« on: July 28, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »
Was setting up to record a show, had the JB3 on running on AC power.  Power cord got unplugged which shut the JB3 down.  Went to power it up (DC) and nothing happened.  Plugged it in and tried to power it up - nothing.
Since then i've tried resetting the unit with the reset button - nothing.

Anyone ever experience something like this?  Do i send this in to Creative Labs for repair, or is now the time to consider making the move to another, more secure and not discontinued unit?  I've now been seriously considering the Edirol R-09.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: JB3 won't power up!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »
did you try taking the batteries out?
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »
wrong forum, but how long are you holding the power button down? maybe open the unit up and make sure that it's not just the frame of the power button that it giving you trouble. take the big gray plastic piece out and try turning it on with the actual switch that is soldered to the board.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
Try taking the batteries out like stated earlier...also try sticking a paper clip in the reset button on the back.  I've never had it not power up, but I've disconnected it from my PC when it's still communicating and it gets hung up and the only fixes are the batteries or the reset button.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline mpassero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:08:56 PM »
i guess keep it simple is the lesson here - took the batteries out and now it powers up.  Thanks for the tip.

Any ideas on why this would occur?  Unit was fully charged when i went to the show and as i said it was working on AC.  Seems that while its plugged the batteries shouldn't come into play?

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
If using external power of any kind, its best to not have ANY internal batts in it
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 02:14:28 AM »
If using external power of any kind, its best to not have ANY internal batts in it

I hate to do it but I disagree.  The internal batts. are your only protection if your external power "accidentally" gets unplugged by some crazed concertgoer.  The key is to go in with fully charged batteries, boot the JB3 from the battery and then quickly connect the power supply.  That's my procedure and I have yet to have any trouble.
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:31 PM »

I hate to do it but I disagree.  The internal batts. are your only protection if your external power "accidentally" gets unplugged by some crazed concertgoer.  The key is to go in with fully charged batteries, boot the JB3 from the battery and then quickly connect the power supply.  That's my procedure and I have yet to have any trouble.

If you do that you're wasting your external battery.  All you're doing is charging your internal batteries...which I'm assuming already have a full charge at the beginning of the show.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »

If you do that you're wasting your external battery.  All you're doing is charging your internal batteries...which I'm assuming already have a full charge at the beginning of the show.

when i use my vr box, i still have at least one charged battery in the jb3 for graceful shutdown (ie saved files)  nothing does the rub more than a 2+ hour set deleted b/c the external battery died before i did a manual save.

having an internal in the jb3 while also providing an external source is inefficient.  obviously if it is fully charged it will still power the jb3 while the external recharges the internal as it drains... but  i just think of it as a safety net.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
When pulling it off AC power, I noticed my JB3 acts differently if I pull the plug from the wall vs pull the power jack off the unit. If I'm charging and pull the plug from the wall it gets confused and thinks it's still charging when I power it up via the internal batteries. Be sure to pull out the jack from the JB3 first then unplug the AC adapter from the wall.

Another thing to note, don't leave the AC adapter plugged in when not in use,, they eventually will die so the less hours the better.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com