Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfer questions.  (Read 2543 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Transfer questions.
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:42:10 AM »
I am transfering some old cassette GD masters of mine using the 722 at 24/96. I'm going to start seeding some of these in 16 bit format.

My first stupid question is, are these transfers legit 24 bit? Since they are coming off analog I would assume the answer is yes. Should I also seed the 24 bit versions?

How should I word the source transfer text. ie: Sony D5>722 at 24/96>Adobe Aud. 16 bit>Cdwav>flac

The show I am working on now is missing the encore due to battery failure. There is no aud source of this show on the LMA, just the board. Should I bother trying to find another source of the encore?

Thanks for any help. I have uncirculated gem ready to go.

tony

Offline ts

Re: Transfer questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »
Thanks Tim. I'm just experimenting here. Took me 3 weeks to get to this point on just one show :o.

Another quick question. I'm flacing now and keep getting this warning: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'disp'. Then it verifies "ok".

I'll answer your PM soon, although I don't know too much more about it than you already stated.

thanks,

tony

Offline tilomagnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
I am transfering some old cassette GD masters of mine using the 722 at 24/96. I'm going to start seeding some of these in 16 bit format.

My first stupid question is, are these transfers legit 24 bit? Since they are coming off analog I would assume the answer is yes. Should I also seed the 24 bit versions?

How should I word the source transfer text. ie: Sony D5>722 at 24/96>Adobe Aud. 16 bit>Cdwav>flac

The show I am working on now is missing the encore due to battery failure. There is no aud source of this show on the LMA, just the board. Should I bother trying to find another source of the encore?

tony

Do you have any other (non-portable) tape deck for doing these transfers besides the D5? Even if the D5 was the deck these tapes were recorded on, you would most likely get better results if you used a better deck (-> Nakamichi) and adjusted the azimuth on that one for each cassette. The choice of the deck has more impact on the quality than the word lenght (i.e. 16 or 24 bit) or samplerate for example.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:22:38 PM »

tony

Do you have any other (non-portable) tape deck for doing these transfers besides the D5? Even if the D5 was the deck these tapes were recorded on, you would most likely get better results if you used a better deck (-> Nakamichi) and adjusted the azimuth on that one for each cassette. The choice of the deck has more impact on the quality than the word lenght (i.e. 16 or 24 bit) or samplerate for example.

Just my 2 cents.

A good point. Yes I do have a Nak deck for playback but was never good at adjusting the azimuth :-[. Never even tried ;). Also the CR5A that I have always baffled me because the headphone output volume control also controls the line output level ???. I'd like to use the Nak again, but would need some tips on how to properly use it. Lost the manual a long time ago :smoking:

cmoorevt

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:12 PM »
Nak CR5A Manual:  http://www.analogstereo.com/nakamichi/nakamichi_cr1_cr2_cr7a_cr5a_owners_manual.htm

and a bunch of other Nak cassette deck manuals for anyone who needs them (scroll down a bit past the dragon info): http://www.analogstereo.com/nakamichi/nakamichi_dragon_owners_manual.htm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:34:24 PM by cmoorevt »

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:19:34 AM »
I agree.  Having a quality cassette is one of the most important parts of the chain.  I have a NAK BX-300 and love it.  I'm going through the prrocess of re-transferring my tapes and I can't believe the difference this cassette deck makes, especially using the azimuth adjustment.  It's not that hard, really.  i little plastic screw under the heads on the right side.   :)  What a difference it makes!!!

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:25:20 AM »
A good point. Yes I do have a Nak deck for playback but was never good at adjusting the azimuth :-[. Never even tried ;). Also the CR5A that I have always baffled me because the headphone output volume control also controls the line output level ???. I'd like to use the Nak again, but would need some tips on how to properly use it. Lost the manual a long time ago :smoking:

I think all Naks have the line output and headphone output volume control on the same knob, my Dragon definately does, too. Anyway, the Cr-5 is a really nice deck and will most likely give better results than the D5 if its in good shape. Before you start with transferring you should definately clean the heads, the capstans and the tape guides first using some head cleaning fluid, but not alcohol.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:00:26 AM »
OK. I'm going to dig it out. Now where is that azimuth screw on the CR5A? Does the door need to be removed to access it? And what about the output, crank it up to max or leave it halfway? On my old transfers it seems when I had it on max it really increased the hiss. ??? Or maybe since I wasn't adjusting the azimuth, the hiss was related to that?

Thanks for all the help here. My first offering seems to be going well. http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=500105, but I would like to have the CR5A in the transfer.

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
I posted this in playback http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71493.0. I could really use some help locating this adjustment.

thanks, tony

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com