Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I only post this so others can learn from my mistake... (was "Microtrack Appreciation Thread")  (Read 4149 times)

Offline trigoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edit by Brian Skalinder:  This is a Microtrack Appreciation Thread.  There are more than enough threads with people griping about their MTs.  I'll even start you a new one.  :)  /edit

I only post this so others can learn from my mistake...

I can't sell mine fast enough.  Horrible interface, the cheapeast construction quality I've ever experienced. Now, and only now with the latest firmware update, can this toy be viewed as entering the beta stage of a product's life.   Last November, when it was on sale already for about 3 months, it had more software bugs that the unit was, for a professional user, unuseable.  Had a delightful back and forth with M-Audio customer service too, where they basically said "yeah, we know... oops!"

30V phantom?  Dark letters on a dark blue background?  That rocker wheel thing and how that thing interacts with the menu bottom on the other side of the unit?  If I didn't spend close to 400 bucks I would be laughing too....

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:30:28 AM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
How many similar products came out perfect right out of the box for 350 bucks ? Just curious if you know any ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
How many similar products came out perfect right out of the box for 350 bucks ? Just curious if you know any ...

The r09 came pretty close.  Some units have input jack issues but they're fairly easily fixed.
And how about the R-1?

My r09 is so much better than my microcrap that it isn't funny... It isn't funny at all!  M-Audio is pathetic for releasing such an overhyped piece of shit.  And to compound the initial fiasco, many subsequent firmware releases introduced bugs that were very obvious... What morons were in charge of that product?  Who signed off on that trash?  I'd love to interview the project mgr for a "worst-practices" and "things gone wrong" article.

I contend that people tolerate the microtrack only because it remains unchallenged as a small 24 bit bit-bucket.  If Edirol released a bit-bucket version of the r09, the microtrack would be history for most.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
I contend that people tolerate the microtrack only because it remains unchallenged as a small 24 bit bit-bucket.

No doubt.  Bash all you like, it's the only product of its kind at its price point.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
I contend that people tolerate the microtrack only because it remains unchallenged as a small 24 bit bit-bucket.

No doubt.  Bash all you like, it's the only product of its kind at its price point.

The 1.4.3 firmware is adequate, and for pocket-able small size, low cost, AND 24bit/88.2K mode makes this the ONLY choice for clean higher definition recording translated to 44.1 CD end purposes.  Most mic recording does require external pre for getting maximum possible quality, but so far nothing comes close for my purposes.  Lithium battery is limiting, and maybe dangerous by the news of lithium battery potential for catastrophic smoke-fire failure mode, but this is a liability shared by the majority of portable gear using high capacity lithium cells these days.

Did get a rave report yesterday on excellent performance, and sightless user compatible Sony D1, and this seems the deck to beat for almost smallish size with excellent quiet internal mic pre and very easy powering, but at four times MT cost AND lacking 88.2 mode is the deal-breaker for my use.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

The other thing... The analog specs on the microtrack put it with the VERY BEST devices - 722, Mytek, V3 - in terms of signal to noise, etc.  We discussed those specs extensively on TS..

Well, that was FRAUD (probably not the only instance with the MT and M-Audio).  The mt analog stage is very noisy..  Not anywhere close to the numbers they were quoting.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
I guess I should add the digital input feature to my question. I could care less about it's analog stage ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
The other thing...

Yes, yes...we've heard this all before.

I'm sorry you seem so personally disappointed.  Get over it and give it a rest, Negative Ned - no need to repeat the same rants against the MT in thread after thread after thread.  And while I personally can choose to ignore all the negative comments, it's not exactly useful for newbies for whom the MT might very well prove ideal.  The bashing ad nauseum makes it sound like the MT doesn't work at all, for anyone.  The fact remains:  it's the only product of its kind at its price point and it works quite well for a good number of people.
Roland R-05

Get over it and give it a rest, Negative Ned - no need to repeat the same rants against the MT in thread after thread after thread.

So we can have a moderator policed microtrack Rah-Rah thread but not a thread where we can give other opinions of the product...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
So we can have a moderator policed microtrack Rah-Rah thread but not a thread where we can give other opinions of the product...

You'd save yourself a lot of time if you simply compiled all your MT gripes into a single FL MT Gripe-FAQ and linked to it whenever you wish to moan about the MT.  I'll even sticky it for you if you create it.  :P

You've missed my point, I'm at a loss for how to make it more clear, and I don't feel the need to repeat myself ad nauseum on this subject.  So...happy grumbling... 
Roland R-05

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
so this thing still cant record in mono? cause i only got one mic plugged into it and when i set it to mono nothing happened. Of course i dont see the difference between recording mono and one channel of stereo, but what the hell, its there, might as well use it.

You'd save yourself a lot of time if you simply compiled all your MT gripes into a single FL MT Gripe-FAQ and linked to it whenever you wish to moan about the MT.  I'll even sticky it for you if you create it.  :P

Very true!

I try and learn from experiences..    When considering a purchase for a new product like the mt, in my mind I have best-case and worse-case scenarios.  And even as jaded, negative ned and pragmatic as I am, the MT was notable in redefining what I consider worse-case.  That M-Audio would stoop so low as to release that product at that time just boggles...  To think that I need to be even more careful, suspicous, whatever, of such claims still surprises me.

For me, M-Audio redefined the envelope of over-hype and over-specification with the microtrack. So that is important to remember and recount.  They now have the legacy of the MT.

Just my opinion, of course.. ;)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star

Very true!

I try and learn from experiences..    When considering a purchase for a new product like the mt, in my mind I have best-case and worse-case scenarios.  And even as jaded, negative ned and pragmatic as I am, the MT was notable in redefining what I consider worse-case.  That M-Audio would stoop so low as to release that product at that time just boggles...  To think that I need to be even more careful, suspicous, whatever, of such claims still surprises me.

For me, M-Audio redefined the envelope of over-hype and over-specification with the microtrack. So that is important to remember and recount.  They now have the legacy of the MT.

Just my opinion, of course.. ;)

:lol: Nice +T
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo

I contend that people tolerate the microtrack only because it remains unchallenged as a small 24 bit bit-bucket.  If Edirol released a bit-bucket version of the r09, the microtrack would be history for most.

Agree 1000%, this thing is really flimsy and very poorly designed from an ergonomic and functional point of view. But it works ok as a bit bucket, and like Bri said there is no competition for small bit buckets. I wish there was! I would love to have something the MT size or smaller that is solely designed to take bit-perfect 16 and 24 bit PCM audio on a SPDIF input (that you can use any type of RCA end on, not just one with a narrow sleeve) up to 96 KHz sample rates.

As far as the specs, never saw them but I say, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. Of course there is no way this little plastic toy is going to be able to compete with those hotrod >$1000 boxes as far as S/N ratio and the like analog in.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com