Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 Wire Pre Vs Beyer Dynamic MV100  (Read 6529 times)

Offline cgresq192

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
3 Wire Pre Vs Beyer Dynamic MV100
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »
I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the two.

Right now I'm using a Church Audio 3 Wire Pre to power my Sound Pro CMC 4's (AT853's) and was wondering how a Beyer Dynamic MV100 compares?

It seems I really need to max the level on the 3 wire pre to get good levels.  When I tranfer the wavs to sound forge, it seems I really need to normalize to get good listening levels.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
DPA 4061's > CA-9100>(3wire)>R-09HR
SPCMC4(AT853's)>CA-9100(3wire)>R-09HR

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 3 Wire Pre Vs Beyer Dynamic MV100
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »

Right now I'm using a Church Audio 3 Wire Pre to power my Sound Pro CMC 4's (AT853's) and was wondering how a Beyer Dynamic MV100 compares?

It seems I really need to max the level on the 3 wire pre to get good levels.  When I tranfer the wavs to sound forge, it seems I really need to normalize to get good listening levels.

What kind of recorder do you have and what are you recording?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »

You would need at preamp adaptors to run the mv100 it has 60db of gain my preamp has +20 big difference in price sonically my preamp would be just as good.
Hope that helps.

Offline cgresq192

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:31:16 PM »
I'm using a Jb3 to record too.

I was taping a solo piano gig the other night, piano/vocals. Pretty quiet house mix. So I had the pre set as high as it will go.

The loud arena shows the mix comes out well, however I still need to normailze in sound forge with the -16db option to get good levels.

In doing this,  I get hiss in the recording.

Ideally I would like a hot signal going to the recording so I don't need to normalize at all. However it seems even at loud rock shows, the pre isn't bringing the levels up high enough?

Any idea are greatly apprecited.

Mics are mouted in a hat.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:52:55 PM »
I'm using a Jb3 to record too.

I was taping a solo piano gig the other night, piano/vocals. Pretty quiet house mix. So I had the pre set as high as it will go.

The loud arena shows the mix comes out well, however I still need to normailze in sound forge with the -16db option to get good levels.

In doing this,  I get hiss in the recording.

Ideally I would like a hot signal going to the recording so I don't need to normalize at all. However it seems even at loud rock shows, the pre isn't bringing the levels up high enough?

Any idea are greatly apprecited.

Mics are mouted in a hat.

I have sold a lot of these preamps. I will say that not to many people have ever had a problem with them. I think when your doing stealth its very hard to shoot for a nice pretty 0db signal with no distortion. There has to be some give and take, I would try giving your Nomad some more level I would expairiment in a very quiet room with a nice pair of headphones. See how loud you can go with the nomad and my preamp, I am pretty sure you should be very close to the kind of levels you need. That being said, I also sell a st-9000 preamp that has 30 db of gain, they can actually both be used together for 50 db of gain total, more then enough for most things. If your interested I will give you a very good deal on it. Actually Next week if you want, I will send you one for free just pay the shipping, if it works out then we can talk about money. You might be better off with the st-9000, if so I will take back the 9100 and give you some cash back its up to you. Pm me if your interested.

Chris Church

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »
Nice offers!

You won't find that anywhere else, folks.

Try before buy...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline cgresq192

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 05:53:45 PM »
Attached is a pic of a recording at a loud arena rock show.

Don't get me wrong, once I normalize it sounds great, however, shouldn't the pre boost the levels enough so I dont' have to?

I might be doing something wrong, any help is appreciated. Levels are all the way up on the pre btw. Bass rolloff is on.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:15:23 PM »
At a loud rock show the Church 9100 should have plenty of gain.  I record quieter stuff with no problem.   
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline cgresq192

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 08:04:23 PM »
hmmmmm, perhaps my gain is low because it's a 3 wire box?

How can I test my gain settings?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »
hmmmmm, perhaps my gain is low because it's a 3 wire box?

How can I test my gain settings?
How fresh is the battery? and what type of battery are you using and what mics are they modifyied? you have to go into more detail.

Offline cgresq192

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 08:42:03 PM »
Battery is brand new duracell. Mics are modified by yourself with mini xlr adaptors

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
Battery is brand new duracell. Mics are modified by yourself with mini xlr adaptors

You got my email I will take a look at them for free and see whats up.

Chris Church

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »
.... I also sell a st-9000 preamp that has 30 db of gain, they can actually both be used together for 50 db of gain total, more then enough for most things....

Chris Church

if more gain is needed is it generally OK to use two preamps in sequence?
or are there differences depending on design? e.g., which of the 2 designs, would be more adapt to be used twice in series?
the project13 or the ferocious at geocities?

Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
.... I also sell a st-9000 preamp that has 30 db of gain, they can actually both be used together for 50 db of gain total, more then enough for most things....

Chris Church

if more gain is needed is it generally OK to use two preamps in sequence?
or are there differences depending on design? e.g., which of the 2 designs, would be more adapt to be used twice in series?
the project13 or the ferocious at geocities?

I don't know about adding stuff in series.

But the second design you show is typical of most of these small preamps.  I based my design on it as well.  The first design is too simple, and will have higher distortion than the second.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 06:15:22 AM »

....But the second design you show is typical of most of these small preamps.  I based my design on it as well.  The first design is too simple, and will have higher distortion than the second.

Richard

Have you experimented with the different opamps in this circuit, Richard? The TL072, LM833 and NE5532 or any other?
Which one would you recommend for which reason?
I"d like to build one and run it with a single 9 Volt battery which excludes the LM833 since it is said to needs 2 batteries. Is the NE5532 best, would a TL062 also do?
Any other important observations that would help?

thank"s

Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 01:53:58 AM »

....But the second design you show is typical of most of these small preamps.  I based my design on it as well.  The first design is too simple, and will have higher distortion than the second.

Richard

Have you experimented with the different opamps in this circuit, Richard? The TL072, LM833 and NE5532 or any other?
I"d like to build one and run it with a single 9 Volt battery which excludes the LM833 since it is said to needs 2 batteries. Is the NE5532 best, would a TL062 also do?

thank"s

For a cheap unit I recommend NE5532, or the Burr Brown Chips (OPA-2227/2228).  I couln't hear much difference between these.

You might get better sound with some fancier chips, but start simple first.

Richard

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 04:31:35 AM »

For a cheap unit I recommend NE5532, or the Burr Brown Chips (OPA-2227/2228).  I couln't hear much difference between these.

Richard

Thank's Richard,

yesterday I finally had time to build the preamp. I followed Tompolk's board layout, but it did not work and I could not find out yet why.

Before I start to redo all please let me ask:
The publisher of the circuit had later added, quote: now I would use 1uF film capacitors as input and output capacitors.. Therefore I had substituted all 4 pieces 2,2uF aluminium caps with 1uF poly caps. These poly caps have no polarity whereas the original alu caps did have. Is this is why it is not working?

BTW I could not get the NE5532, only the TL072, but I also have a BurrBrown OPA2604AP which I want to try out.

andreas
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 04:36:05 AM by kuuan »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »

Richard

thank"s

Richard

The major difference between the burrbrown and the TI chips, is distortion the Burr brown has much less. Also better headroom in the same exact circuit. And last but not least much less self noise.

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
project 13 / ferocious geocities
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
thank's Chris.

By now the preamp is working, tried it with all the three opamps.

This is the opinion of a newbee and could be an early call:
For recording ambience, audio to use for my videos, I will prefer the project13 preamp simply because it gives more gain, and I foind it very quiet. Using the 'geocities' preamp with my set up I'd have to add gain from the iriver's preamp and that is noisy.
I don't know about distortion and headroom though.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: project 13 / ferocious geocities
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 01:37:23 AM »
thank's Chris.

By now the preamp is working, tried it with all the three opamps.

This is the opinion of a newbee and could be an early call:
For recording ambience, audio to use for my videos, I will prefer the project13 preamp simply because it gives more gain, and I foind it very quiet. Using the 'geocities' preamp with my set up I'd have to add gain from the iriver's preamp and that is noisy.
I don't know about distortion and headroom though.

+T to both you and Chris for keeping the DIY thread alive.  I'm taking a break for a while.  Well, if you can call "double taping" (two venues simultaneously), and running wires in various venues a break :).

Richard

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
Re: project 13 / ferocious geocities
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »

+T to both you and Chris for keeping the DIY thread alive.  I'm taking a break for a while.  Well, if you can call "double taping" (two venues simultaneously), and running wires in various venues a break :).

Richard

DIY is fun!
Would love to give you a break - during your break - by lending you a hand or two, would be a long desired learning experience, and fun!
enjoy and don't get endangled in wires!

Still trying to learn here:
with the 33k increased to 100k, the 1k5 not lowered, though higher the gain is still lower than the project13's
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:18:07 PM by kuuan »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com