Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fix Broken DAT Tape?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Fix Broken DAT Tape?
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »
Hi ,

I have an old DAT of a concert that I LOVED (Patty Griffin).  Unfortunately, several years ago my piece of junk D7 broke the tape  during a copy session.  I had made a single copy of the show for a trade, but that person disappeared :(.

Basically, what can I do to somehow connect the broken tape to I can  get the music off?  Is it possible? I
tried to tape the two tape edges together, but my Tascam quickly re-separated the tape. 

Please help with suggestions as I just LOVE this show, and as far as I know, this is only bootleg of Patty Griffin I have heard of (small show in NC).  It was 2/11/1998 in case anyone has it in their collection (which I doubt) :(

Thanks!

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Fix Broken DAT Tape?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:42:08 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,10942.0.html

Oh wow! Thanks so much!

I tried that before, but the tape didn't/wouldn't hold together.  Guess I just have to try again :)

Is there  a service I could pay to do this for me properly?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:45:28 AM by lbgspam »

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »
I wouldn't use scotch tape. Too much goo. And the adhesive breaks down over time. (You aren't going to throw away the master after making the copy are you?)  :)

Use cassette splicing tape (available at radio shack ---still maybe???)  . It's the same width as dat. Cut the tape at a 45 degree angle (data is written in an angular fashion) and overlap slightly so that no adhesive is exposed to the head upon playback. 

If you want to get really precise, make the overlap such that the when the head spins, it doesn't grab the tape. (Well, it's easier to figure out if you can open your case, see which way the head is spinning and which way the tape is moving across the head).

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
I wouldn't use scotch tape. Too much goo. And the adhesive breaks down over time. (You aren't going to throw away the master after making the copy are you?)  :)

Use cassette splicing tape (available at radio shack ---still maybe???)  . It's the same width as dat. Cut the tape at a 45 degree angle (data is written in an angular fashion) and overlap slightly so that no adhesive is exposed to the head upon playback. 

If you want to get really precise, make the overlap such that the when the head spins, it doesn't grab the tape. (Well, it's easier to figure out if you can open your case, see which way the head is spinning and which way the tape is moving across the head).

Gordon

Thanks! Let me go buy this at RS.  One fun thing is that one end of the broken tape at my last try got pulled into the DAT cartridge... so I have to open it somehow to get the other end of the tape.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
Thanks guys! I got it working to get last 33 minutes of the 40 minute show!  I moved the tape past the break to be sure i could get most of the show before trying for the complete one next!!!!

you can't imagine how psyched I am! I have been wanting this show since the tape broke in 1998!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com