Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The ULSI Mic Technique  (Read 10330 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: The ULSI Mic Technique
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:57:13 PM »
So, other than two DPA 4006s mounted on a Stealth Bomber, and the secret sauce (ketchsup and mayonaisse?), what is this?

Jeff

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:20:07 AM »
http://www.freewebs.com/eriksikkema/aboutulsi.htm

What does this mean ? "dynamic behaviour" I am not really up on my audiophile words. I need to get that new book "audiophile phonics for people that want to sound important" :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:05:55 AM »
yah it's a erik sikkemas thing.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:23:40 AM »
So, other than two DPA 4006s mounted on a Stealth Bomber, and the secret sauce (ketchsup and mayonaisse?), what is this?

As best I can figure, the only thing that makes it different than A-B:

Indeed when UlSI would only be a pair of spaced omni's, as you can see on the picture above, it would not be so very much special from other A-B techniques, but a spaced set of omni's is only a part of the ULSI concept. It is very hard to find out from a picture what a recording technique is about. If you also look at the stealth like shape, you can see a lot of attention is paid to getting as less as possible ultrasonic relections from the microphone housing, clamps, cables and tripod.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »
ooooh boy split omnis with a mount that limits minor reflections from typical stands, mounts, and cabling.  the fact that he can call this his proprietary technique is laughable IMHO.

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
I dont think he has published all the details??(havent read the whole page), dont know if it is worth anything or not, but I do know that Mr. Sikkema is very knowledgeable about microphones and recording in general. Of course, that doesnt mean he is exempt from being human, and full of himself/s**t(if he is?). I found it interesting, as I always do when I see something new pertaining to mic methods. Maybe there is something of value in there, anyway. He is a regular on Klaus Heyne's forum, and being full of yourself seems to be a membership requirement there at times.  :P :P

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 11:48:32 PM »
I reserve the right to make fun of it, and then run out to buy it as soon as its commercially available.  Does this qualify me to be a pro yet?

Jeff

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »
ooooh boy split omnis with a mount that limits minor reflections from typical stands, mounts, and cabling.  the fact that he can call this his proprietary technique is laughable IMHO.

I believe there is some merritt to stand reflections. Earthworks made a special pole to test there mics that was 8 feet long and had an XLR on the end of it. The pole was exactly the same diameter as there mics about 1 inch. The idea behind this was to remove the mic clip from the mic. I feel that "some" shock mounts that are being used do effect the sound of the microphone by introducing a hard surface behind the capsule for sound to bounce back. But this whole stealth fighter affair pushes that theory a bit to far :) I think in the end you always have to have something to hold your precious mics with. But I think more thought should be made to reduce the sonic footprint of the mic clip or shock mount being used.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:10:57 AM »
Anyone know what is the usual angle of the 2 mics when set-up like this and the distance between them? Most curious about the angle. I've read a lot about A/B positioning where mics are in parallel but never seen it in action. Always see the modified A/B position where the mics are slightly off parallel.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:33:26 AM »
I reserve the right to make fun of it, and then run out to buy it as soon as its commercially available.  Does this qualify me to be a pro yet?

Jeff

:lol:

+t
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
it wasn't my intention to downplay the effects of stand and mount reflections as they are there.  i just find this funny, that's all.  it's not llike he paving the way with supreme innovation here as his website is making it sound.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »
it wasn't my intention to downplay the effects of stand and mount reflections as they are there.  i just find this funny, that's all.  it's not llike he paving the way with supreme innovation here as his website is making it sound.

I understand I did not mean anything by what I said towards you, it was just some of my trivial information spilling out :) I am sure you are well aware of the effects of mic stands/shock mounts. I think its a pretty interesting subject one that does not seem to get allot of attention, I also think that his idea takes things a little to far.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »
You gotta admit, it is a pretty t-bar type thing.

The site absolutely begs to be mocked or subject to a parody. The problem is that only people around here would find it remotely funny.

* rowjimmy considers marketing his revolutionary, new technique: XMSI (eXtreme Mono Soundfield Imaging)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »
it's a great mount for that setup.  very cool. however, with that website and the claims on it, he's just looking for a BJ from the audio community. all he deserves is a pat on the back for making a cool mount.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com