Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wind rumble....  (Read 3662 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wind rumble....
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
Anyway to remove some of it in Adobe Aud. 2.0? Winds were gusting up to 30 mph at the Beach for ABB.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:50:58 PM by ts »

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Wind rumble....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »
Hi,

You can try rolling off low frequencies @ about 80 HZ. If you have a parametric EQ, try to narrow the frequency of the rumble, and bring it down. It could vary depending on your mics/polar pattern, etc...

Good luck!

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
That was my first thought. I did use roll off during the recording, but the winds were too much. A drastic measure would be eliminate the left channel, since thats were most of the rumble is.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:35:09 AM »
This wont help much now, but if it's really windy and you have access to omni's, use them.  They are affected much less by wind.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
Yea I have omnis, CK2x ;), but didn't think of using them or didn't want to drag the jdisc. Would dead rats really have helped, combined with the foam? These were pretty severe gusts. Almost took the stand down a few times.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
Yea I have omnis, CK2x ;), but didn't think of using them or didn't want to drag the jdisc. Would dead rats really have helped, combined with the foam? These were pretty severe gusts. Almost took the stand down a few times.

I have a set of rats and have never gotten any wind noise with them. I try to use them sparingly though, as they do cut a significant portion of your high end.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »

I have a set of rats and have never gotten any wind noise with them. I try to use them sparingly though, as they do cut a significant portion of your high end.

Loose the Faux Fur and go with Fleece.  Works much better and does not kill your highs.  It's Red Rocks approved  ;D

Sample of the recording
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
Is the fleece covering the foam screens in that pic? I've had good luck with the big Shure screens by themselves and have used them at Red Rocks, however the big shures are too big for my CKx caps. With those caps the biggest screen I can use is the large DPA. I do see a few naked DPA screens in that pic. A covering of fake fur or fleece is what I need and needed for ABB at the Beach.

+t

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:47:22 PM by ts »

Offline momule

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
No. I dont really like the sound of the Shure A81WS.  They kill the highs IMO just like the fur did.
I just sew up the Fleece so it slides over the stock Studio projects windscreens. 

I now use the same fleece for the stock Earthworks screens.  I have been told they are very prone to wind rumble.  I'll be trying them out for the first time in Aspen Next weekend.  I'll try to remember to post my results from there. 

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
No. I dont really like the sound of the Shure A81WS.  They kill the highs IMO just like the fur did.
I just sew up the Fleece so it slides over the stock Studio projects windscreens. 

I now use the same fleece for the stock Earthworks screens.  I have been told they are very prone to wind rumble.  I'll be trying them out for the first time in Aspen Next weekend.  I'll try to remember to post my results from there. 

any particular type of fleece? i can hack up an old pullover? :) might be a stupid question, but i've seen so many different types of dead rats. some long hair and some short hair. pretty funny.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 03:02:59 PM »
however the big shures are too big for my CKx caps.

I've run the big shures with my DPA 4061. Just stuff some foam into the gap.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

Loose the Faux Fur and go with Fleece.  Works much better and does not kill your highs.  It's Red Rocks approved  ;D

Sample of the recording

I see Dutchman1101 in that picture.

So would selecting the 75 hz deal on my blueline mics cut wind noise? The DPA screens didnt cut it for me last time at Red Rocks.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline momule

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 03:52:36 PM »

any particular type of fleece? i can hack up an old pullover? :) might be a stupid question, but i've seen so many different types of dead rats. some long hair and some short hair. pretty funny.

I would just suggest the densest you can find.  Dont buy the cheap stuff.  Go to a craft store and look around.  There are hundreds of kinds.   

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
I see JBK in that pic too, right? ;D

BTW, I ran just the bigger DPA screens when I was at RR for Trey in 2001, and there is def wind rumble, but only between songs :) The wind was SOOO intense, it knocked Trey's mic stand over onstage during the encore. Its a shame when we go thru the effort to not have wind rumble on our tapes, but the onstage vocal mics dont have any wind protection, and you hear that wind rumble on their stage vocal mics :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com