Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there an inherent phase relationship between Soundboard and Audience sources?  (Read 2387 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
From the point of view of mixing SBD and AUD sources in post...?

easy jim

In short: no.

When post-mixing, it should not matter so much either once you align the sources.  If, however, you align them perfectly and the .wav is above the zero line for one source and below it for the other (like mirror images), then flip the phase on one of the sources.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:23:54 PM by easyjim »

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...

When post-mixing, it should not matter so much either once you align the sources.  If, however, you align them perfectly and the .wav is above the zero line for one source and below it for the other (like mirror images), then flip the phase on one of the sources.

it would be pretty audible if its out of phase correct?
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline imgoinmad

• Taperssection Regular
    • Production House Media
if you have a mono button on your audio device, it will be very obvious because switching from stereo to mono, you'll hear sound disappear if it has phase issues. the worse the problem, the more disappears. A 100% out of phase problem would make 100% of the sound disappear.
Field:
Schoeps CMXY4V>Oade Basic Mod Marantz PMD-671
CSB>Sony PCM-M1

Multitrack:
Digidesign 002R/Behringer ADA-8000/5 x Mackie HR-824's/1 x Mackie HRS120/Blue Sky BMC/Mackie Universal Control Surface
Dual ASUS 24in/Mac Pro 2x2.66ghz 6C Xeon/Mac OS 10.6.8/Pro-Tools 10+CPTK/Fostex D-5

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3043964/
http://www.productionhousemedia.com

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Mixing the sources is more about time alignment.  However, if your microphone preamp happens to be reversed phase due to a design oversight (as was the case with some Lunatecs for a while), you may find that the best time alignment results in an inverse phase relationship between the two sources.  Flip one and you'll get better results in that case.  I don't claim to be able to hear absolute phase, but when combining with other channels, consistent phase can become important.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

easy jim

it would be pretty audible if its out of phase correct?

Yes.  It is generally more apparent in the low end where phase cancellation/comb filtering tends to stand out more.  Most often, it is an obvious lack of bass/low end that is the tip off.  When post-mixing, though, it is easier to identify graphically whether the two sources are out of phase.

Mixing the sources is more about time alignment.  However, if your microphone preamp happens to be reversed phase due to a design oversight (as was the case with some Lunatecs for a while), you may find that the best time alignment results in an inverse phase relationship between the two sources.  Flip one and you'll get better results in that case.  I don't claim to be able to hear absolute phase, but when combining with other channels, consistent phase can become important.

- Jason

Similarly, there is an exception vis-a-vis SBD feeds I recently came across: some SBDs have pin 3 hot outputs on their XLR outs (generally a portion of older consoles from the 80s and earlier).  Since our recorders/pre-amps conform to the now standard pin 2 hot set-up, a SBD source from a console with pin 3 hot XLR outputs will be inherently out of phase with any AUD source when captured on a recorder configured to expect a pin 2 hot line feed over the XLR inputs.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:36:35 PM by easyjim »

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
also not sure if i'm right in saying this, but if you're recording on two seperate devices [for example something recording off the desk and you somewhere else out in the audience with another recording unit] the sample rates might not be 100%. i had that problem when recording preston reed... got a desk feed straight into a computer and was in the audience with my mics and later in post, the speed of the recordings were very different... some recorders are at exactly 44.100Hz, and others might be at 44.097 or 44.103 for example... am I right in saying this?

Roving Sign

also not sure if i'm right in saying this, but if you're recording on two seperate devices [for example something recording off the desk and you somewhere else out in the audience with another recording unit] the sample rates might not be 100%. i had that problem when recording preston reed... got a desk feed straight into a computer and was in the audience with my mics and later in post, the speed of the recordings were very different... some recorders are at exactly 44.100Hz, and others might be at 44.097 or 44.103 for example... am I right in saying this?

You are correct - but that is a separate issue. For the sake of this argument, lets assume the sources all created with the same clock frequency and will time align properly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com