Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which way do I Go (The way I went)  (Read 3109 times)

Offline sam

• Getting out as much as I can
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Which way do I Go (The way I went)
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »
I am looking for a bit of advice on going digital in the camera world. I am from the old school and have a n90s, 35-70 2.8, 50.18 and a 5700. My question is this do I sell my stuff and go another route maybe a Canon XTi or Olympus E510 or go I dump the 5700 and pick up a D80? And Why? Looking for all around versatility, might be going on Jam Cruise and would like to have a few months of use before heading out. I drom the old school and would add a 80-200 2.8 as well as a short zoom for family stuff.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 02:05:43 PM by sam »
AKG480/61/63->Audio Magic X-Stream->Marantz ACM671

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
Re: Which way do I Go
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »
Well, if you've been shooting an N90s for a while and you like it, a Nikon DSLR makes obvious sense.  I have a D200 now, but I shot an N90 for years and I think it made learning how to use the D200 a piece of cake.  The D80 sounds like a good move, and while 35-70 is no longer an ideal zoom range given the DSLR crop factor, it shouldn't be too shabby either... you'll certainly take nice photos with it.

Did you say old school?  Nikon.   :) 

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline sam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:39 AM »
Well, if you've been shooting an N90s for a while and you like it, a Nikon DSLR makes obvious sense.  I have a D200 now, but I shot an N90 for years and I think it made learning how to use the D200 a piece of cake.  The D80 sounds like a good move, and while 35-70 is no longer an ideal zoom range given the DSLR crop factor, it shouldn't be too shabby either... you'll certainly take nice photos with it.

Did you say old school?  Nikon.   :) 

Way old school 1970's and early 80's Canon F1's then switched to Nikon in 87 been Nikon since. Does anybody know how bad the noise is at iso 1600?

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
Does anybody know how bad the noise is at iso 1600?

Take a look at this thread, Craig T posted a bunch of my pics .  All images taken with a D200 @ ISO 1600, no noise reduction (I now use Noiseware, which is just amazing).  I understand the D80 produces identical images.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88295.0.html

Offline sam

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Which way do I Go (The way I went)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
I picked up the D80 and the 18-135 a bit slow but not shabby. I took it out to a marching band competion cranked the iso up to 1600 and turned off the flash and went to see what I could get with just the stadium lights (we are talking HS football field in VA)
1/50 at 5.6 with a monopod. I was pleased at with the noise level and for what the camera will be used for I would recomend it as a good value. So all I need now is that 70-210 2.8 vr and 17-35 2.8 and I'll be ready for all.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
Re: Which way do I Go (The way I went)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »
I picked up the D80 and the 18-135 a bit slow but not shabby. I took it out to a marching band competion cranked the iso up to 1600 and turned off the flash and went to see what I could get with just the stadium lights (we are talking HS football field in VA)
1/50 at 5.6 with a monopod. I was pleased at with the noise level and for what the camera will be used for I would recomend it as a good value. So all I need now is that 70-210 2.8 vr and 17-35 2.8 and I'll be ready for all.

Congratulations on the new toy... er, I mean camera!

At some point, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Imagenomic's Noiseware.  It's available as a Photoshop plug-in or as a standalone app.  It was recommended by a couple people in this forum and it does indeed work as advertised.  If you're going to shoot at ISO 800 or higher, this is must-have software. 

http://www.imagenomic.com/

I also had my heart set on the 70-200 f/2.8 VR until I found out what the 85mm f/1.4 is capable of.  One word: WOW.  Sure, it's a full two stops faster than f/2.8, but more importantly the quality of the images is almost magical at times.  The depth of field is extremely shallow at f/1.4, but the aesthetic quality of the out-of-focus elements is exceptional (i.e. it has a nice bokeh).  Want to take flattering photographs of your family, friends, and perhaps most importantly, attractive young women?  This is the lens.  I used to have the 85mm f/1.8 in my film days, which was nice, but its bigger sibling is in a different league.

This is the review that basically sold me:
http://ryanbrenizer.livejournal.com/438209.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com