Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Patching out of R-09?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Patching out of R-09?
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
Probably a pretty simple question, but being a newbie, I need to ask.

Just before the Rose Hill Drive set tonight, a guy came up and started asking me questions about my rig - what mics, did I use a preamp, what recording device I was using, and what kind of input and output I had on the R-09.  I finally figured out that he wanted to know if he could patch.  He had a JB3.  I didn't have a mini Y cable to split my feed out of my pre-amp and I wasn't even sure what kind of input he needed.  I thought of offering him the headphone/optical out on the R-09, but I didn't know if that would work for him.  On top of it, all this is happening as RHD is getting up on stage.  I assured him my recording would be going up on LMA in a few days and he could grab it there.  At that point, I got back to being prepared to actually record the show.  He was satisfied, but I guess I should know what is possible for the future.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Patching out of R-09?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »
optical would be the ticket...although I guess it would truncate a few bits if you are running 24 bit...(unless for some reason the R9 only outputs 16)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
I don't have an optical to check this out.  Has anyone run a patch, either optical or 3.5mm mini out of that jack? 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »
I do not recommend using the headphone out as analog out. It is just not good enough for satisfying results. But give it a try: Plug your R09 to your home stereo system, and replay a recording that you have made.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:38:21 PM by Eigenklang »

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
I just got my R-09 today and tested it just to answer this question and the answer is 'YES', while you're recording the headphone jack is active, both for monitoring with a pair of headphones and for sending the optical digital signal 'out' to a patcher.  Very cool. 

So for someone to patch the digital optical signal from you to the digi-in on a JB3 they'd need a fiber-optic cable with a mini-plug on each end.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I don't know but thought I would just put this out there.  If someone wants to patch from you they should be responsible for bringing all types of cables that they may need.  You should not have to worry about keeping cables in your gear bag for patchers.  The other thing is that I would only let the patcher take the patch from the out of your deck (or pre if available.)  If you start inserting splitters etc before the signal gets to your deck you risk messing up your recording.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »
I don't know but thought I would just put this out there.  If someone wants to patch from you they should be responsible for bringing all types of cables that they may need.  You should not have to worry about keeping cables in your gear bag for patchers.  The other thing is that I would only let the patcher take the patch from the out of your deck (or pre if available.)  If you start inserting splitters etc before the signal gets to your deck you risk messing up your recording.

I felt the same way, but it was my first request and I was a bit surprised so didn't have a well thought out position. 

Link to LMA Recordings

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:51:05 PM »
I don't know but thought I would just put this out there.  If someone wants to patch from you they should be responsible for bringing all types of cables that they may need. 

Perhaps - but If I had the proper cable - I might volunteer it...just so I was using "trusted" equipment. And not something that was going to screw up my deck...

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:57:08 PM »
isn't the headphone jack also a digi-optical out?
I've never tried it, and don't want to dig out the manual to confirm, but something deep within keeps saying yes?

yes.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:47:44 PM »
isn't the headphone jack also a digi-optical out?
I've never tried it, and don't want to dig out the manual to confirm, but something deep within keeps saying yes?

yes.

The analog headphone amp is noisy...badly so. Is the optical just a straight digital patch from the main A/D, if so it would be fine?

Note there is a setting in the options to turn monitoring on/off so check that's on.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »
I have let people with minidiscs patch out of my R-1 (it has the same headphone/optical jack as the R-09) before and it worked just fine. The analogue out is pretty noisy so i wouldn't recommend that, but the optical works fine for sending an optical signal to another device. Now I don't think anyone ever determined what bit rate the optical jack sends though.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:30 PM »
Check out the 5th post from the top.   Someone could patch out the headphone jack using the digital optical signal.

When set at 48khz wave recording, it puts out at 48 khz.  When set at 44.1 it puts out at 44.1.  Not sure about the bit depth but my guess is it puts out whatever you're set to record at, 16 or 24 bit. 

I totally agree too that the patch cable is not the R-09's responsibility, it's the patcher's job to bring that.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »
There is one output on an R-09.... it's optical/analog out/headphones all in one. 

I've patched from R-09 > optical > JB3 or H120 several times.  Works fine.

I've also patched R-09 > analog out > to whatever the other guy has several times.  Works fine.

Is it absolutely positively the best thing available?  As good as V3 > AD2k?  Of course not.  Is it good enough?  Yes.

On an analog patch I generally put the output in the middle of the 0-100 scale, and ask they patcher "You getting enough signal?" and they generally say yes.   I agree it's probably noisy maxed out, but midrange isn't too bad to my ears.  Important rule... patchers can't be choosers... and most aren't.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks, Joe!  +T

Link to LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com