Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tools for fixing the sync drifting recordings?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Tools for fixing the sync drifting recordings?
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »
What software do you all use for sync problems? I use Adobe Audition for most everything, but when it comes to sync problems I end up wasting a lot of time guessing and checking on the stretch ratio, and if the drift doesn't occur in a linear fashion it is a real headache.

What I would really enjoy is software that would allow me to load two audio files, and then set anchor points in each file... so I could create a set of points in file A that correspond to another set of points in file B, although they might not line up correctly due to drift. Then after these anchor points are all set it it processes file B so that its anchor points actually do line up with the corresponding points in file A... and the synchronization for everywhere in between is interpolated intelligently. Does a free or affordable tool that does something like this exist?

If so, it would be a huge time saver for me. So much that I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that we should make such a tool if I can't find one.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tools for fixing the sync drifting recordings?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:40 AM »
Can your girlfriend code C++ and assembler?  ;)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:29 AM »
Can your girlfriend code C++ and assembler?  ;)
Sure. Her degree is in computer science, and mine is in mathematics. So I'm pretty sure we can work something out if we need to.  ;)

I was bored at work this afternoon so I came up with algorithms I would need in order to take two given sets of anchor points and then find the displacement at any given sample in the output & dither it. I still need to work out how to apply some sort of low pass filter to avoid distorting the highest frequencies. I have the general idea for it but need to come up with the details. Alternatively I can probably skip that and just use files with high sample rates, then convert the sample rate down using other software.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
What exactly are you trying to sync together?  Are you trying to mix two audio sources?  Are you replacing the audio on a cideo recording?

If you're trying to combine two recordings of the same even and they are both from digital sources you can use Sony Vegas to easily match them up.  As you know, digital devices run at a constant speed so if there is drift between the sources it will be constant.  With Vegas you can line the two sources up at the beginning of the recording either by ear or using a common visual reference like a hand clap or cymbal hit that shows up as a distinct point in the waveform.  You can literally hold down a key and stretch or shrink the track in real time.  Hit me up with a PM if you decide to try Vegas and I'll go into detail.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
What exactly are you trying to sync together?  Are you trying to mix two audio sources?  Are you replacing the audio on a cideo recording?

If you're trying to combine two recordings of the same even and they are both from digital sources you can use Sony Vegas to easily match them up.  As you know, digital devices run at a constant speed so if there is drift between the sources it will be constant.  With Vegas you can line the two sources up at the beginning of the recording either by ear or using a common visual reference like a hand clap or cymbal hit that shows up as a distinct point in the waveform.  You can literally hold down a key and stretch or shrink the track in real time.  Hit me up with a PM if you decide to try Vegas and I'll go into detail.
I want to use it for several purposes, including mixing together transfers from analog sources where the drift is not necessarily linear. I didn't know Vegas could do that... that sounds more user-friendly than Audition but probably not quite what I'm looking for, it sounds like I'll have to split the track up a bunch and match up a lot of points if the drift isn't linear. I would prefer something that uses more reference points and interpolates what is happening between them.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »
You could use Samplitude SE, split the WAV into multiple objects and apply stretch/shrink independently to each object (I think this is the same solution as what stan suggested with Vegas).  Not automated, but I think it will accomplish what you wish.  You might be able to do the same in Audition by using the multitrack view, and instead of splitting the WAV into multiple objects, split into multiple clips.  Each clip will have it's own track, which could get tedious.  Not sure, though, it's been a while since I've used Audition.  I don't know of a way to automate the Sam/Vegas option.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
You could use Samplitude SE, split the WAV into multiple objects and apply stretch/shrink independently to each object (I think this is the same solution as what stan suggested with Vegas).  Not automated, but I think it will accomplish what you wish.  You might be able to do the same in Audition by using the multitrack view, and instead of splitting the WAV into multiple objects, split into multiple clips.  Each clip will have it's own track, which could get tedious.  Not sure, though, it's been a while since I've used Audition.  I don't know of a way to automate the Sam/Vegas option.

I was toying around with this Trying to mix the AKG C34 Source FOB from Panic NYE with the Schoeps MK41->148 Section source.  What kind of workflow would be needed to make this happen.

I'm coming up with.

Load Each set of Tracks Per Set. 
Join Said Tracks
Slide to match a beginning point.
Stretch to match an ending point (either one)
Bounce

Thing is that Visually stretching and Alignment isn't giving me the control over the points I need to make it happen.  They jump a bit.

Maybe I need to do it in smaller sections but that seems to be an incredible pain in the ass.

While it stays aligned though...  :o

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
Thing is that Visually stretching and Alignment isn't giving me the control over the points I need to make it happen.  They jump a bit.

Get it close by stretching visually, then...

<1>  Set the unit of measurement to milliseconds (View | Units of Measurement | Milliseconds)

and fine-tune one of these two ways...

<2a>  Zoom in on the endpoint of the object you're timestretching.  The closer you zoom in, the finer the increments while visually timestretching.

or

<2b>  Offline Effects or Realtime Effects | Object Resampling / Timestretching and set the Time Factor Calculation's New Length manually
Roland R-05

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:20 PM »

Get it close by stretching visually, then...

<1>  Set the unit of measurement to milliseconds (View | Units of Measurement | Milliseconds)

and fine-tune one of these two ways...

<2a>  Zoom in on the endpoint of the object you're timestretching.  The closer you zoom in, the finer the increments while visually timestretching.

or

<2b>  Offline Effects or Realtime Effects | Object Resampling / Timestretching and set the Time Factor Calculation's New Length manually

As if you needed another.... +T

Wonder if Reaper will let me do this.  It may be back to Sequoia for that type of work.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:05 AM »

That would work, but I may still want to create my own solution since I want to try to cut down on tedious activities. :D

I have a question for those of you who have done this with either program: does the wav file get processed and actually change when you strech/shrink it, or only when it is rendered / mixed down to an output file?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »
That would work, but I may still want to create my own solution since I want to try to cut down on tedious activities. :D

I have a question for those of you who have done this with either program: does the wav file get processed and actually change when you strech/shrink it, or only when it is rendered / mixed down to an output file?

Yeah, cutting down on the tedious tasks would be of great benefit for the kind of thing you're doing, no doubt.  Regarding when the changes take place, it depends on the editor.  Non-destructive editors will only apply the changes when rendering, while destructive editors will apply changes on-the-fly.  Samplitude SE offers both options.  Not sure about Vegas or the other apps.
Roland R-05

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
Vegas is non-destructive.  It doesn't change anything until you render your file.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »

I want to use it for several purposes, including mixing together transfers from analog sources where the drift is not necessarily linear. I didn't know Vegas could do that... that sounds more user-friendly than Audition but probably not quite what I'm looking for, it sounds like I'll have to split the track up a bunch and match up a lot of points if the drift isn't linear. I would prefer something that uses more reference points and interpolates what is happening between them.

If you can come up with something then good luck but I don't think it will happen.  I read the latest issue of DV magazine and the people who are digitizing and releasing the first seasons of SNL talked about their process of syncing up better audio sources and how long it took.  If these guys who are using professional level equipment can't just use a formula to calculate the difference then I don't think we could do any better.

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »
Here's a link to the Gathering of the Vibes Tapers' board...  I'd rather link than cut and paste so you can see the whole discussion.  In my experience the stretch function in Sound Forge doesn't have the resolution needed to make this fine of an adjustment.  There's some math involved... read on.

http://www.gatheringofthevibes.com/bored/YaBB.pl?num=1162332750

Hope it helps.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
As you know, digital devices run at a constant speed so if there is drift between the sources it will be constant.

Oh how I wish that was true....   The temperature of the devices varies during the recording. As a result the clock differences tend to vary.  Some devices (744t) use a higher quality crystal oscillator that is much less prone to drift (they have internal heaters so the crystal is always held at the same high temp).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com