Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 620 or Microtrack (need advice..and samples)  (Read 2484 times)

Offline vanden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Marantz 620 or Microtrack (need advice..and samples)
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »
Hello there, My first post on this forum.
I hesitate between three different recorders : Marantz620 Microtrack2496 MicrotrackII
I know you are more used to live music, but I want to use it mainly for ambience recording
It seems there is M620 owners on this forum only.

Could you help me ? I am looking for any ambience recording : rain, street, subway, shop, dog, singing in your bathroom a few meters from the gear, or just open your window and press record :))
I would have three further requests (I know I'm a kind of a purist) : built-in mic, unedited wav would be better, 30.sec is enough. pointing the recorder at the recorded thing is said to work best for the marantz
Microtrack II T-mic samples welcome as well. I have 2 CDs of microtrack I samples !

My opinions based on the samples in WAV I ve heard from the internet (based on an ambiance recording mind):
Marantz 620 : Sometimes good, sometimes too clear. but built-in mic and AA batteries. A few more $ (euros for me! the gears are more expensive in europe (+50% compare to US)
Microtrack I : slight focus on the medium but quite natural. Can be found only used (and cheaper !) but no warranty so will the non-removable battery still work ?
Microtrack II : very rare samples available, more neutral (frequencies) than M-I, but less "natural" (micro-dynamics) ?
Both Microtrack : Mickey Mouse style, non-removable battery...less pocket-forgettable

Other recorders I don't want to buy :
Edirol R-09 : musical but slight lack of treble, sometimes Hissy
Zoom H2 : cuts far before 20k, simplified timbre. But rather good for the lowest price of the group...and 360° recording possibilities.
Zoom H4 : strange medium curve ? Looks like I would be arrested by police or afraid people when I use it (looks more like a Taser than a recording gear).
Best samples I ve heard so far : $ound device$ 722
(I have a very revealing hi-fi gear)

For all US members : Enjoy the Super Bowl !

Thanks a lot.
Eric
(France, in the region of Champagne, Cheers!)

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Marantz 620 or Microtrack (need advice..and samples)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
Hi Eric,

+T for getting here!
Your starting point here at TS.com should be Kickdown Central, search there for sources using either recorder.
Or are you strictly asking for samples of ambient sounds?!

Regarding expensive gear in Europe  - I feel your pain. Sweden is no better.
I usually always bug my friends if they know anyone going to the US, and ask them to bring gear back for me. With some patience you'll get lucky. Or mail order, and take your chances the customs won't find out.

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
There's a big difference between quiet ambient (like nature) and city ambient (like in on the streets). If you are recording quiet sounds in a quiet environment, then you need to get yourself a kick arse preamp if you really want to do it right. Otherwise, get the unit with low self-noise, which will be hard without going beyond these recorders. If it is city ambient and you're not picky about self-noise, you might be fine with any of these. Me personally, I'd go R9 or 620 probably, although the later isn't fully field-proven yet.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline vanden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
I am more interested in city ambient sound...no very low noise needed.
In fact I'm more interested in timbral accuracy than self noise (my ears are more musician than engineer !) until there is no really present hiss.
That's why I look for ambience samples very revealing of the "you are there" feeling.
It is to be used in artistic/video projects.

Offline vanden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »
I've checked Kickdown Samples.
The quasi totality of excerpts are made on concerts with a lot of different mics and preamps, so too many variables...and anyway nothing for marantz 620.

Offline solilo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »
I'm completely new here too, so I'm no authority. I guess you will be pretty happy with the Marantz, if you take into consideration:

a) handling noise
b) wind noise
c) you will hear rec level changements on the recording (mechanical clicks)
d) you don't need 96 khz sampling rate occasionally

So only light moving around with internal mics (as a rule). For that "you are there" feeling I use binaural mics, not internal mics.
None of those recorders is perfect. Just start with one.

I could try a quick recording for you with the PMD620 & internals, but I have no place to upload.

-s.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking binaural too, there's nothing quite like "being there" with a binaural recording played back on headphones, heh...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:37:30 PM »
I've checked Kickdown Samples.
The quasi totality of excerpts are made on concerts with a lot of different mics and preamps, so too many variables...and anyway nothing for marantz 620.

Here's a site with samples of the internal mics:
http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/

Note that the internals on 620 and R09 are omnis, while the H4 has cardioids. Something to consider for presence.
And if you're going for internal mics only, the MicroTracks are out of question. Or did I miss your point when you mentioned them?

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline vanden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Transom used to put ambience samples on previous reviews. I did not for the Marantz 620.
When I say build-in mics, I don't want to spend more money on microphones or preamps...for the moment. So I could have said "included". But build in is of course easier to carry ( a strong point for the 620, with AAs)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com