Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have a favorite camcorder for taping shows?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Anyone have a favorite camcorder for taping shows?
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:22:59 AM »
I want to buy another camcorder and I keep looking at the  PV-GS250 from Panasonic but some people have told me it sucks.  I have read tons of reviews on http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ but can't seem to decide so I am asking for opinions from people who tape themselves who might know what works best in band taping conditions.  Price range 700-1000$.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone have a favorite camcorder for taping shows?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
I've gotten fantastic results with my Panasonic PV-GS120 3-chip model.  It handles concert lighting really well and it almost never over-exposes.  An added little bonus is that it's mic does a surprisingly nice job of recording audio - so if a nice DAT doesn't exist for a show that you filmed, chances are, you'll still have some halfway decent audio from your videotape.

It's good for stealth filming with the camera on your lap because the viewfinder tilts upwards far enough for that.

It only has a 10X optical zoom - but I got a 2X telephoto lens that's a snap to put on and it only cost $30.

Very nice and compact - easy to crotch.

Lastly, It's well within your budget (below $700 even). 

Whatever you do - DO NOT get a DVD cam.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:10:57 AM »
I don't recommend the Panasonic GS models unless you have a tripod.   Not sure about the newer models, but a BIG disadvantage of the GS120 is that the image stabilization DOES NOT WORK in low light conditions (which is the case in 99% of live shows), and if you're going hand-held, the picture will look very shaky.   If you've got a tripod, there shouldn't be a problem, though I have also had audio dropout problems with my GS120.

If you're really serious about videotaping and want a NICE camera, I recommend the Sony VX2100.  They run about $2000 new, but the picture quality is amazing.

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 01:47:07 AM »
Yes the consumer Panasonics with the huge zooms have crappy image stabilazation- I had the one with 24x zoom from '04 and the video was unwatchable zoomed past like 15x, even on a tripod it wasn't 100 percent stable. I haven't heard the same for the 3 CCD models. As for consumer cheap models- most of the Sonys are perfect all though the new ones are lacking mic inputs/rotatable viewfinders- two stealth musts- hopefully thats corrected on next years models.
I have used 3 cams for shows- all consumer models since I wisely did not want to invest in a prosumer cam as I had a feeling cheap hd cams would come out soon enough(and they have- the HC1 can now be found for around 1,500 at places)- my trv740 and trv33 shoot very nice video though, the Canon ZR70 is another story.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 01:48:42 AM by GNRArnold »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:30:50 AM »
I don't recommend the Panasonic GS models unless you have a tripod.   Not sure about the newer models, but a BIG disadvantage of the GS120 is that the image stabilization DOES NOT WORK in low light conditions (which is the case in 99% of live shows), and if you're going hand-held, the picture will look very shaky.   If you've got a tripod, there shouldn't be a problem, though I have also had audio dropout problems with my GS120.

If you're really serious about videotaping and want a NICE camera, I recommend the Sony VX2100.  They run about $2000 new, but the picture quality is amazing.

If this has been your experience with a GS120, I think you need to take it back to get it checked.  Low light has never been a problem for me and I've never had an audio dropout.  And because I sometimes film in stealth mode in small clubs, I have no choice but to go handheld.  But I haven't had any problems with shaking.  Having said that, some people simply can't hold a camera steady when they film in handheld mode, and others do it so well it almost looks like a tripid shot at times (check out an NYC Shows handheld shot - he shoots really steady shots with his GS120). 

The GS120 costs around $600 - so after adding in a camera bag, tripod, telephoto lens, etc., it all fits well within the OP's stated price range of $700-1000.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »
Are there any lens that help to better capture light light video?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 07:45:28 PM »
Before you guys smear the whole GS line, I'd like to set the record straight on the GS400 model specifically. It has OPTICAL stabilization which will eat any form of electronic stabilization for lunch. Not to mention true widescreen (NOT scaled), full manual overrides on everything, audio inputs, blah, blah... Too bad it's somewhat expensive ($1,400+), probably a tad too big for stealthing, and hard to find these days... Suffice it to say, the entire GS line of camcorders are actually pretty amazing when you consider that they are 3-chip cams for 1-chip prices. However, I can only speak to the model that I own personally (GS400), when I say that it is seriously one outstanding consumer camcorder (it is borderline a prosumer cam considering all of its features, not quite, but very close).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »

If this has been your experience with a GS120, I think you need to take it back to get it checked.  Low light has never been a problem for me and I've never had an audio dropout.  And because I sometimes film in stealth mode in small clubs, I have no choice but to go handheld.  But I haven't had any problems with shaking.  Having said that, some people simply can't hold a camera steady when they film in handheld mode, and others do it so well it almost looks like a tripid shot at times (check out an NYC Shows handheld shot - he shoots really steady shots with his GS120). 

The GS120 costs around $600 - so after adding in a camera bag, tripod, telephoto lens, etc., it all fits well within the OP's stated price range of $700-1000.

i'm backing up elvis hitler. gs120 i would not recommend. i don't consider myself a shakey filmer, but i noticed an obvious difference between that and my entry level sony 1 chip camcorder.  gs400. i'm not going to bash, it should be seperate from the other 2 models. i was going to go with that model myself until i picked up my current and fav camcorder.  sony trv950.

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 09:13:30 PM »
I will probably wait till the new models come out, see if there is anything that stands out.  How much did you pay for the sony trv950 firmdragon?  That is comparable in price to the GS400.  Though I read the sony has no gain control which is retarded for an expensive camera like that.

wilsondmb

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 02:27:29 PM »
sony pc100/109  best cam for the money

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 05:19:20 PM »
hmmm only 10x zoom, would have to be close to the stage.  It got a low rating for low light performance.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »
hmmm only 10x zoom, would have to be close to the stage.  It got a low rating for low light performance.

Most filmers who have cams that only have 10X optical zoom get a 2X telephoto lens.  Of course, OEM lenses are available for most cams but they are kind of pricey, so I usually get a non-OEM lens.  Typically they are packaged with a second lens that is designed for wide angle filming, and the set costs around $40-50.  I never use a wide-angle lens, so I always try to find just the telephoto lens by itself to save a few bucks.

Offline allan

• Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 09:52:45 PM »
i heart my xl1 ;D

Offline u2rulesmyworld

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
if you want to go cheap the sony hc21 is an excellent 1 chip camera for around $350,  no mic inputs tho,  but it does have 20x optical zoom

Mid Range,  i would go with the Sony PC1000 for around $900,  an amazing 3 cmos(similar to ccd) camera,  absolutely the best small camera available

And if you really want to go all out the Sony HC1 High def camera is amazing too,  about $1400-$1600 on pricegrabber

I have shot many shows with each camera,  stealth and permission

I primarity stealth so size is an issue for me and i can easily get all these cameras in

If you get a doubler lens for any of these cameras make sure it is a sony, dont waste your time with discount doublers

I have shot with the Panasonic Gs200 and it is a good camera,  i was impressed with the color but Sony has been the only reliable manufacturer that i have found

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »
As far as telephoto lens go- yes spend the cash- those 40 dollar ones in stores are hit and miss- one I have works fine with one cam but with the other I get halos and vhs like quality when zoomed in rendering it pointless. The Sony High Grade 2x lens that retails for 100 bucks is great.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com