Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iso: canon lens  (Read 2879 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
iso: canon lens
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:41:57 PM »
lookin for a 70mm 200 lens for my dslr.  new or used, mainly for my kids sporting events.  thanks  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: iso: canon lens
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »
go over to fredmiranda.com and look over there...you will find alot more...
(you will need to register with a non-free email...you cant use google/yahoo/msn etc)

good luck

bj
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
here's a 70-200/F4L that's up for sale: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

(fwiw, my fm.com account is linked to gmail)

the buy/sell board over there turns over fast, but lenses in that range will pop up multiple times daily.  the  70-200/f2.8L would be a bit better for indoor sports but it's bigger than the F4 and costs a good bit more...you could also go with the 135/f2L, which is a prime and, imo, the best lens canon makes.  :P  seriously, it's a kick ass piece of glass...

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »
Yeah, be real specific about what you need in the 70-200 range: f2.8 or f4, and IS or non-IS. The differences b/w them can be incredible. For concert photography the f2.8 IS is a dream come true (f4 just isn't even close to being fast enough, and even with the 2.8, you still may need to run speeds down under 1/30 or less, which is where the IS comes into it's own). However, those versions are much more expensive of course!  :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »
Definetly check out FredMiranda.  I have bought and sold several lenses there.  Do some research on the going prices for the lens you want and then be ready to react quick to a good deal.  The do come up on there frequently but as others have mentioned they also go quick.  I'll second the reccomendation for the IS lenses.  I have a Nikon so they call it VR, but it really is amazing for low light shooting.  I eneded up giving about $1400 for my 70-200/2.8 VR Nikor.  The Canon is just within $100 of that same price typically.Both Canon and Nikon's f/4 in the same focal length are very good lenses, but I don't find to be fast enough for concert shooting.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »
Since he said mainly for his kids' sporting events, I'd recommend the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS. I got mine used in the $1k range (traded in a 70-200 f/4 non-IS + cash) The 2.8 helps a lot with isolating the subject when it's wide open.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »
Since he said mainly for his kids' sporting events, I'd recommend the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS. I got mine used in the $1k range (traded in a 70-200 f/4 non-IS + cash) The 2.8 helps a lot with isolating the subject when it's wide open.

Yeah, no doubt, plus fast = good for concert photography. As long as we're making recommendations, I recommend the 70-200 f2.8 USM IS -- I drool over that lens regularly, and sometimes rent one from Calumet for gigs, it has got to be one of the finest lenses available today, the thing is just absolutely amazing (but it also is HUGE and HEAVY). Someday I'll splurge and buy one, but it's further down the list at this point. :(
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com