Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where would you place your cam, the 2nd one and the third one..?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline fey-metallica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Where would you place your cam, the 2nd one and the third one..?
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:30 AM »
Where would you place your cam, the 2nd one and the third one..to get the best possible video during a concert? Remember you are the only one filming and nobody is helping so (one) two videos will not have zoom, just the one you are using by yourself.
I was thinking about the zoom cam on a balcony, and maybe the other 2 on stage? Without a balcony it would be a bit harder in my opinion.

Offline Nate

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I saw you dancing to Doreatha
Re: Where would you place your cam, the 2nd one and the third one..?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:23:02 AM »
if you are running a rig, get 2 clamps for the cams, mount them on your stand (needs to be very stable) below your gear.  Focus one cam on the the entire stage and one on maybe a guitar/singer.   This works well if you are slightly higher than the stage.   This also give s you control of all your gear and zoom away if needed.   If you have a 2nd tripod/stand you can set that up directly next to your gear and put the 2nd cam on it.   This works well if you need to pan around the stage and don't want to be shaking your stage view cam.

I'd suggest picking up a wide angle lens for your camera, you will be happy you did.  The one I picked up for my Sony was $25 from B & H, and it helps out in close situations.

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
If the total cam count is 2.  I would set them up in the same spot. Set one up for coverage of the entire stage and leave it alone (except for tape changes).  Use the other one to zoom/pan/etc. . . wherever the action is.  With a third cam, I'd set up another wide shot from a different angle.

I used to be a fan of settting up 2 (sometimes 3) cameras, setting and forgetting.  Made the show more enjoyable at the time.  But then just cutting between 2 or 3 static angles wasn;t that thrilling in the end.  Now I;ve learned to love the fine art of anticipating moves and solos and making sure my 'pan/zoom' cam is getting the good stuff at showtime.

-jay

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »
If the total cam count is 2.  I would set them up in the same spot. Set one up for coverage of the entire stage and leave it alone (except for tape changes).  Use the other one to zoom/pan/etc. . . wherever the action is.  With a third cam, I'd set up another wide shot from a different angle.

I used to be a fan of settting up 2 (sometimes 3) cameras, setting and forgetting.  Made the show more enjoyable at the time.  But then just cutting between 2 or 3 static angles wasn;t that thrilling in the end.  Now I;ve learned to love the fine art of anticipating moves and solos and making sure my 'pan/zoom' cam is getting the good stuff at showtime.

-jay

what he said  ;D

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:59:59 PM »
personally in these situations, i'm always worried that someone would be pinching my gear if they were left unattended.  i think i'd go one at the back of the room, maybe by the soundboard.  maybe a drum/onstage cam.  and you stagelip/zooms.

there was a guy that used to run like 4 cams on the same tripod.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
Running multiple cams by yourself is difficult.  I often get caught up in the thinking that more is better.  That's not always true.  I would probably use 2 cams having a one camera on a stand or in the balcony getting a shot of the whole stage.  Make the shot as tight as possible.  Then I'd hav one shot centered on the floor close to the stage moving often.  Get lots of pans and zooms of individual members with that one.  If you want to throw in a third cam and can get it on stage I like having a shot of the drummer behind the kit.  That gives you a way to get all members equally. 

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »
And remember that when you need to change tapes in your static cam, MAKE SURE you leave your pan/zoom with a nice full shot.  It's going to be the only one you have for a minute or two.

-jay

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Having a cam on a tripod off on the left side of the stage (as you face it) can produce some nice shots.  Just set it up around ten feet to the left of the musician who is on the far left and shoot a shot directly across the front of the stage that captures everyone (except maybe the drummer).  Most guitarists play right-handed, so you usually get the front of the guitars this way.  You can crop and slightly rotate the picture and create a slight tilt and/or zoom in/out effect at times with this angle and it almost looks like someone is back there working the cam's zoom.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com