Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems working with widescreen (sample inside)  (Read 3726 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Problems working with widescreen (sample inside)
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
I've been trying to do a multicam mix recently and came across a problem.  The 2 up close angles are SD cams in widescreen mode.  The center angle is on a tripod  from an HD cam downsampled to SD.  The problem is i get small black bars on the sides of the center angle.  Anyone know whats going on?  I'm guessing this is a problem with the aspect ratio.  And is there a way to fix things? 

note: i'm doing things on final cut

http://www.sendspace.com/file/amng2p

Offline anarkust

• Taperssection Member
Re: Problems working with widescreen (sample inside)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »
Those small black bars are really odd.  I was expecting something more like a 4x3 on a 16x9 screen.  Is the aspect ratio for the HD cam 15X9.  I believe i've come across this somewhere before.

Gabriel

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
It would help if you told us what the models of the cameras were.

The front cams look like Panasonic DVX100 cameras, while the back looks like an FX1.

I would bet that the HD cam was 1.2 pixel aspect ratio while the SD cams were 0.9.  The difference is probably somewhere in the conversion.  I would personally say screw it, and zoom the HD angle at like 105% or whatever it takes to eliminate the bars, and then matte anything that spills over.

And if you're doing this in Final Cut, can't it work with multiple formats in the same timeline?  Why the need to downsample?

Great footage though, nice work.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:19:49 AM »
heh, thanks for the flattering comments.  its actually done with trv18/950 on the front angles and a hdr-hc1 on the back.  i used mpeg stream clip to convert the hd files (720 × 480, 16:9 settings i think).  FCP 6 supports multiple formats, but i don't think FCP5 has real time support.  How would you do the zooming in/matting part that you mentioned?

It would help if you told us what the models of the cameras were.

The front cams look like Panasonic DVX100 cameras, while the back looks like an FX1.

I would bet that the HD cam was 1.2 pixel aspect ratio while the SD cams were 0.9.  The difference is probably somewhere in the conversion.  I would personally say screw it, and zoom the HD angle at like 105% or whatever it takes to eliminate the bars, and then matte anything that spills over.

And if you're doing this in Final Cut, can't it work with multiple formats in the same timeline?  Why the need to downsample?

Great footage though, nice work.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
Bring the clip up in your viewer (double click it)
Goto the motion tab
Under 'Basic Motion', the scale will increase your size.

If your aspect ratio is off you can correct under 'Distort'

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
Bring the clip up in your viewer (double click it)
Goto the motion tab
Under 'Basic Motion', the scale will increase your size.

If your aspect ratio is off you can correct under 'Distort'

when i use the motion adjustments, is there a way to 'copy/paste' them or do i have to do it with each individual cuts?

as well, is there a way to make it exact or do i have to rely on just eyeballing it?

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:35:25 AM »
You can click on the clip and hit copy.  Then highlight the other clips you want to apply the same settings to, right click and go to paste attributes then select basic motion.

What do you mean by making it exact?  Are you referring to applying the same basic motion to all clips? if so, just follow what I wrote above.

And you can also adjust the zoom in the viewer window if you want.  Go to the drop down menu and click "image + wireframe" then you can just drag it to size.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:37:20 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:25:59 AM »
You can click on the clip and hit copy.  Then highlight the other clips you want to apply the same settings to, right click and go to paste attributes then select basic motion.

What do you mean by making it exact?  Are you referring to applying the same basic motion to all clips? if so, just follow what I wrote above.

And you can also adjust the zoom in the viewer window if you want.  Go to the drop down menu and click "image + wireframe" then you can just drag it to size.
i'm more referring to the zoom then crop to make black bars.   is there a standardized setting for the crop portion of it?

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Double click your clip, then go to the Motion tab, look at the second option "Crop" and you can crop from the top, bottom, left or right and feather the edges if you need to
481(3)>722

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:09:18 PM »
hmmm i wonder if there is better way to explain my problem.  let me try to clarify.  i know how to make the adjustments.  if you look at the posted sample, all the cuts with the closeups are fine.  the problem involves all the ones with the back/center angle - thin black bars on the sides.  i've used motion>scale to fix the sides and using motion>crop>top + bottom to fix the other bars.  I just want to know if there is a way to make the crop adjustments line up/flush with the close up cuts that are alreay fine.  or do i just have to eyeball it?

Offline t34mbtp

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team "BTP" CO-Founder.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »
letterboxing is what i think you are looking at, you'll need to right click and change the option to not auto letterbox
when the project doesnt call for it..
NO "I" in T34m Brauh.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com