Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131632 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
Good look buying a D-50  :lol:
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
"However, if you have not already done so, check out the later versions of the PCM-M10 which is D-50 but also the D-100."

Pointing out the obvious to the rep from Sony Nordic, aside from the D50 also being discontinued, both it and the D100 are considerably larger and more expensive than the M10.  A little disheartening that Sony doesn't have a current successor to the M10 nor does one appear to be in the pipeline. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
I suspect that Sony may no longer see this market segment as a worthwhile investment.  It may depend on how well the D100 sells, which is very expensive given its features.  There may still be enough people buying it though, such that Sony sees no reason to develop a cheaper unit in the line to replace the M10.

An "M20" that is nothing more than a refresh would be fairly boring.  They would need to add real functionality, and make something competitive with recorders such as the new Tascam DR-100mkIII for me to take interest.  That would cost them a huge amount in R&D and production, which is why I don't think it's ever going to happen.

The real question may be why they are discontinuing the M10, when they could just keep pumping them out with no new revision and the associated costs that would bring.  Either it's not selling well anymore, or it may be still selling very well, but they want to drive customers towards the D100 which they are avoiding because of the price.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline oudplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • musiq.com
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2016, 11:08:28 PM »
Was just at B&H Photo video in NYC hoping to pick up one of the M10s before they disappear forever. No luck (totally out of stock), but the salesperson in the Pro Audio section mentioned that Sony had announced to them that there indeed was to be a M10 successor that was to be smaller and with higher sound quality. No more specifics, and no timeline for its release, unfortunately.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2016, 06:09:42 AM »
^ Interesting; thanks!  I wonder if we don't get an announcement pretty soon, as fall is probably a good time for product introductions (so that the "M20" makes it's way on to lots of Christmas lists).  Assuming a new model is in the works, Sony was quite clever about this.  With no known successor to the popular M10 announced, they kind of fueled a run on the remaining M10s...

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:45 AM »
Was just at B&H Photo video in NYC hoping to pick up one of the M10s before they disappear forever. No luck (totally out of stock), but the salesperson in the Pro Audio section mentioned that Sony had announced to them that there indeed was to be a M10 successor that was to be smaller and with higher sound quality. No more specifics, and no timeline for its release, unfortunately.

While that statement may sound great, I'd actually be kind of disappointed if it were true.  If it's smaller than the M10, there goes the possibility of P48 inputs, although I figured that wasn't going to happen anyway.  "Higher sound quality" probably means they use the A/D section from the D100 so they can slap their "Hi-Res Audio" marketing badge on it and crow about 192kHz and DSD.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »
A smaller m10 suits me just fine.

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »
If a new "M20" was to be exactly the same as the M10 only slightly smaller I would happily upgrade, if it was slightly smaller and played FLAC files I would very happily upgrade.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
My first exposure to the m10 was a review discussing the m10 as a journalism tool.  That might be a larger market for a more compact recorder than folks using it for concert recording.

Sony may not want to put xlr inputs on a recorder that would undercut their d100.  Sonys marketing also seems much different to me than tascam in that tascam seems to offer many more overlapping and confusingly similar recorders, mostly all aimed at musicians.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2016, 04:05:05 AM »
Only place I could find it online is on ebay, and the only reasonable price (e.g. less than $300) is from "downtown", apparently another camera shop based in NYC.  They have 10 left if anyone wants to try them.  It could be returned stock being sold as new since they don't seal/tape the boxes.  Hope a "M20" comes out someday, the M10 was/is a nearly perfect recorder for tapers that seemed to be nearly universally loved here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PCM-M10-Portable-Audio-Recorder-Black-Kit-/182233604201?hash=item2a6df82069:g:ee8AAOSwRGlXpkBL

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2016, 10:35:05 PM »
I just picked up an extra from Newegg/Adorama — looks like they still have some in stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01ZS0829

I've definitely seen M10s in use by journalists (I'm one); not sure if it really needs to be much smaller to appeal to journalists, and "higher sound quality" is overkill. I'm puzzled as well why they'd discontinue an item that at the very least continues to sell well to a niche market, though there's no accounting for marketing strategies.

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »
'Hate to side  track the M20 talk, but I've got a question about using the M10 as a MP3 player when traveling.
I've got a 16gb card in the slot and have renamed several folders with appropriate titles for the new contents that I drag and drop from my PC file structure to the M10. 

Occasionally, not every case, the files that are copied from PC > M10 will appear in order, but the last track will play first on the M10.  Very frustrating and I don't really know what I may be doing to promote this behavior.  Perhaps it's not a very reliable file structure.

Thanks for any comments

I use my M10 as a portable music player, and there is quite a few positive discussions about the audio quality of the device such as this here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/456327/sony-pcm-m10-as-portable-player

Of course the main disadvantage is that it's a recording device, and not an audio player, and the file structure is arranged to play in order that the file was created. For some people the downside is outweighed by the advantage that you can play WAV files to a high standard, and it's less money than equivalent audio players.

I think the ordering can be solved by the order in which the files are saved onto your SD card.

I have some folders where the tracks play out of order, but it's usually something like tracks 5 to 12 and then 1 to 4. Easily solved by tracking through to start at 1.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »
Sometimes, if you click the first file and then shift click the last one, the first one actually gets copies last. Try clicking the last file and then shift clicking the first one to highlight them all. They will probably copy in order. Maybe it is the time they were created on the microSD, not created originally. Just a guess.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com