Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131626 times)

Offline andante

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
Here's another quirk of the PCMM10 that I found by accident: I don't recommend anyone try is, but you can get signal/recording levels by plugging microphones into the headphone jack.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
I suspect the signal you are getting in that situation is from the internal mics.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline andante

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
You know you could be right!

But for some reason I still wonder if it might have been the microphones.  I was recording test tones with some church ca-11's about 1cm away from a speaker to test for a balance problem.  I got the headphone and microphone input plugs mixed up and noticed my error when I saw a dramatic difference in recording levels.  I can't remember if the levels were higher or lower going into the headphone jack as the microphone problem I was trying to record involved a dramatic volume difference and I was switching around different microphones and caps.

I was just happy that I didn't screw up the recorder!  :facepalm:

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
You know you could be right!

But for some reason I still wonder if it might have been the microphones.  I was recording test tones with some church ca-11's about 1cm away from a speaker to test for a balance problem.  I got the headphone and microphone input plugs mixed up and noticed my error when I saw a dramatic difference in recording levels.  I can't remember if the levels were higher or lower going into the headphone jack as the microphone problem I was trying to record involved a dramatic volume difference and I was switching around different microphones and caps.

I was just happy that I didn't screw up the recorder!  :facepalm:

If you have mics plugged into the headphone jack, that means there are no mics plugged into the mic or line input, so it will then default to the internal mics. It is not and would not be recording from mics plugged into the headphone jack, but it will output through those mics.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline MikeyLNG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
Hello all, newbie here so forgive the basic question. I finally have a set of mics coming (CA-11 cards) that I can test my M10 with. I don't have a battery box yet, so I will be plugging them directly into the device for now. Am I right in thinking I should use the mic in port with plug in power enabled? Or should it be the line in port instead? I read that the mic in port should be used more if it's a quieter/acoustic type set (I typically go to quite loud indie/rock type shows), so it's thrown me off a little.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
Hello all, newbie here so forgive the basic question. I finally have a set of mics coming (CA-11 cards) that I can test my M10 with. I don't have a battery box yet, so I will be plugging them directly into the device for now. Am I right in thinking I should use the mic in port with plug in power enabled? Or should it be the line in port instead? I read that the mic in port should be used more if it's a quieter/acoustic type set (I typically go to quite loud indie/rock type shows), so it's thrown me off a little.

Correct: If you don't have a battery box, you need to go Mic In with plug-in power, or the mics will just sit there unpowered and not do anything.

Once you do get a battery box, you can leave PIP off and choose between the more sensitive mic port (for quieter shows) and the less sensitive line in port (for louder ones).

If you mostly go to loud indie/rock type shows, I would guess that you're going to be less than thrilled with the performance of those mics until you get a battery box to provide sufficient voltage.

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
Anyone experience line out/headphone jack failure?

My M-10 will not send a signal through a cable when inserted nor turn off the built in speaker.

I took the back cover off and examined the jack, it seems secured to the board, though looks rather accessible since it is underneath another board

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
I was tempted to start another Sony M-10 thread, because having four or five at the same time makes so much more sense.  But, its been awhile since I logged on here, and actually was double shocked to learn two things: 

(1) That Sony has discontinued the World's best pocket recorder.  I have two but then again, I simply don't understand why a company would discontinue such a great little unit.

(2) Putting aside the corporate decision to discontinue it, not having a replacement for this market seems silly.  Will I have to get a third unit?  Jeez. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
I got me 3rd unit...  ;D

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
sounds like i need a 3rd too... and/or hope that all of my local friends with the deck will be my 3rd level backup lol

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
I was tempted to start another Sony M-10 thread, because having four or five at the same time makes so much more sense.

:lol:

(1) That Sony has discontinued the World's best pocket recorder.  I have two but then again, I simply don't understand why a company would discontinue such a great little unit.

(2) Putting aside the corporate decision to discontinue it, not having a replacement for this market seems silly.  Will I have to get a third unit?  Jeez.

Agreed on both points, but maybe it wasn't selling well anymore on a large scale, despite its huge popularity here.  There's the PCM-D100 but that appears to be the replacement for the PCM-D50.  Compared to the M10, it's also a whole lot more money for only adding a new DAC capable of DSD and 192kHz recording.  It's hard to imagine that unit is flying off the shelves though, considering its high price for rather limited functionality compared to competition from other brands.

By every appearance, Sony is abandoning this market segment.  In contrast, Tascam is saturating the hell out of it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »
There's the PCM-D100 but that appears to be the replacement for the PCM-D50.

I think it's more likely the replacement for their flagship PCM-D1.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »

The D100 is the D50 replacement!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »

The D100 is the D50 replacement!!

I don't agree.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
The brochure on Sony's website says, "...successor to Sony's PCM-D50", but I'm not sure the distinction is all that important.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com