Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131633 times)

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
Pro Sound's site now states that the item is no longer available.

Conflicting responses from the site don't clarify whether the M10 was ever recently available there.  We will have to see whether anyone who received a confirmation actually gets a unit.  B&H confirmed my order,  charged my card and then sent a "sorry, item not available" message later.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
I just got a refund toady and I was the 1st person to post that they were listed as available on the website I was h0lding out hope that they had at least 1 since I got charged but its clear now it was an error on their website.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
I'm not sure how scientific it is or if it makes a difference when I get to a show. But I tried to tune my m10 to be in unity with my V3 analog out. I ran a YouTube video of a few different frequencies giving a continuous tone. Then I manipulated the gain in the V3 and m10 until I could dial them in together. I've read that "4" is unity gain for most people's m10 but what I came up with is a shade under "3". That seems to be dead on with my V3. I guess running other gear in front of the m10 could have something to do with other people's experience but at least I'm fairly confident this pairing is nails on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:29:27 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

Conflicting responses from the site don't clarify whether the M10 was ever recently available there.  We will have to see whether anyone who received a confirmation actually gets a unit.  B&H confirmed my order,  charged my card and then sent a "sorry, item not available" message later.

Still trying to get my refund from these assholes, I've called four times.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
I'm not sure how scientific it is or if it makes a difference when I get to a show. But I tried to tune my m10 to be in unity with my V3 analog out. I ran a YouTube video of a few different frequencies giving a continuous tone. Then I manipulated the gain in the V3 and m10 until I could dial them in together. I've read that "4" is unity gain for most people's m10 but what I came up with is a shade under "3". That seems to be dead on with my V3. I guess running other gear in front of the m10 could have something to do with other people's experience but at least I'm fairly confident this pairing is nails on.

I'm not familiar with the V3; does it have variable output gain?  That would make the level matching you're trying to do a bit tricky, unless you know exactly what the output level of the V3 is.  Maybe that's why your level is a bit lower, if your V3 is putting out a slightly hotter signal.  Here's some good info: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471

Apologies if you know this already, but there's really no such thing as "unity gain" between these two pieces of equipment.  I just think of it as good gain staging. 
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

My last experience with them was bad.  Never again.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Really unfortunate to hear about the situation with Pro Sound and the not-really-there M10.  I've experienced this with other, smaller vendors before who have an item for sale on their website and the order goes through, only to be contacted later to say that the item never was in stock.  That was with small accessories though; not something like this.

So at this point, I think it's safe to say that any vendor claiming to have M10s for sale should be met with extreme skepticism.  We don't know when Sony actually stopped manufacturing them and how many unsold units (if any) are sitting in warehouses.  You'd think that electronic stocking systems would take care of alerting potential buyers of an item being out of stock though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:23:10 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Is the output of the M10 set to LINE?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »

If this is true, I will have to dispute the charge with my CC company
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
it took awhile but pro sound refunded my paypal and they got it back to me . A used m10 came up at guitar center for 199.00 . i snagged it and its like new. Pro sound has a good reputation
and im sure they dont want a bad rap .i'm planning on getting a sonosax sxr4+ soon and the  price they quoted is really nice.  they screwed up but then s--t happens.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »

When I did that they refunded my money despite the fact that the big screen TV they had mis-shipped had been received back to their inventory for 2 weeks.  The TV was sent by some ground freight company rather than Fedex Ground and this place could only deliver M-F 9 to 5 and would not provide an approximate time or I could arrange for pickup M-F 9 to 5.  I had waited for them once by working at home and they told me they had a truck problem and couldn't deliver but could reschedule.  I told them to keep their TV at that point and by them prices had dropped so I actually paid less 6 weeks later. 

After the poor service by B&H I decided they would never get my business again and seeing the debacle with the M-10's further justifies by decision.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Is the output of the M10 set to LINE?

i didn't have anything going out of the M10.  i went V3 > M10 Line In
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:44:06 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

I thought the problem was with PROSOUND not B & H ?

When I did that they refunded my money despite the fact that the big screen TV they had mis-shipped had been received back to their inventory for 2 weeks.  The TV was sent by some ground freight company rather than Fedex Ground and this place could only deliver M-F 9 to 5 and would not provide an approximate time or I could arrange for pickup M-F 9 to 5.  I had waited for them once by working at home and they told me they had a truck problem and couldn't deliver but could reschedule.  I told them to keep their TV at that point and by them prices had dropped so I actually paid less 6 weeks later. 

After the poor service by B&H I decided they would never get my business again and seeing the debacle with the M-10's further justifies by decision.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
Good God this thing is becoming more of a nuisance than anything.  I keep trying to give it more chances to no avail.

I have been using the M-10 as my  >:D recorder and every time I go out with it I have different problems.  Mostly what I presumed to be user error but now am unsure.

Last night I went out to record a hip hop gig.  I have popped in what I thought was a fresh set of Eneloops AA and about half way through a 5 hour night I notice that the batteries are sinking fast.  There were A LOT of DJ's in between short hip hop acts so I shut the recorder down a couple of times and just skipped the DJ crap.

Now this morning I go onto my SD card and only see 2 files but one of them is the main act so I am thinking this is OK since that is why I went in the 1st place.  I plug the USB cable in and see the rest of the early files on the internal memory. 

When powering the unit down why would it revert from internal to SD card?  I figured it might be the other way around but I had all setting triple checked before heading out for the evening and it was SET TO RUN ON THE MEMORY CARD.

Second issue was that even though I had levels peaking around -6 I have a squared off wave form.  I have yet to look at the limiter setting but is it possible that this turned on via one of my reboots?  This is fu%^ing crazy.  I just need a small bit bucket dammit.   :angry3:
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
I run the limiter on my m10 approximately 100% of the time and squared off waves at -6 dB does not sound like anything I recognize.

I just powered mine down and up a couple times, once set for memory card and once set for internal, and power cycling did not affect the memory setting on my main unit (the one where the display isn't cracked!) Note that the machine will idle for weeks without draining the batteries - I typically only power cycle when changing batteries. I also don't think I've formatted my SD card for 4-5 years, I just delete files and empty the trash on my mac.

Sounds like yours might be messed up?  :-[

PS the zipper on my Sony case that I sent in the UPC code for JUST lost a tooth just now.  :'(
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com