Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jb3 wav probs  (Read 11010 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Jb3 wav probs
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 05:49:04 AM »
me too

I think the biggest bang for your buck right now would be get a PS-2 and do that mod that provides 48V phantom power to your mics.  They are good mics, but could definitely benefit from the phantom power mod
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 05:51:31 AM by the new millenium cyanide christ »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 06:21:40 AM »
Thanks
I think I am just starting to understand there are so many levels of quality in recording?
I guess it would cost alot of money to get anywhere near the top. I stealth by the way.

well, top of the line is kinda a thin line, whatever suites your ears!!

but you could easily drop 1500-2000 on mics that are "top of the line", and those are mildly priced, the soundfiled is upwards of 5k new, just for a stereo mic!!

pre's/a/d's can drop some loot, about 1500 for a v3, a v2+modsbm1 is about 1200 total, a mme is about 1200 new, so yeah, if ya have decent mics and a v3, thats 3 grand right there!!

then onto cables and recorders and all the other jazz!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:31 AM »
me too

I think the biggest bang for your buck right now would be get a PS-2 and do that mod that provides 48V phantom power to your mics.  They are good mics, but could definitely benefit from the phantom power mod

I also have SP-cmc 8 mics, usually powered by a 9 volt battery box (1/8 stereo jack). So I can use a 48V phantom power source for these same mics? Can someone clarity and what mod exactly on the Denecke PS-2?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 06:59:08 AM »
me too

I also have SP-cmc 8 mics, usually powered by a 9 volt battery box (1/8 stereo jack). So I can use a 48V phantom power source for these same mics? Can someone clarity and what mod exactly on the Denecke PS-2?

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18875.0
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:39:16 AM by Schwillaby »

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 10:19:21 AM »
Thanks, what sort of improvements will the mod yield?
SP-CMC-8 -> SPSB-3 - > JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 10:30:03 AM »
Thanks, what sort of improvements will the mod yield?

improvemnets in sound, a higher SPL rating and dynamic range, and compatibility with many mid to high-end preamps.  It has also been known to eliminate bass distortion at loud rock shows.

There are some details listed under Option 3

It can be done by the average person for about $70 in parts, but you would then also need a device to provide the phantom power.  It's a great option if you are wiling to make that plunge, however, some feel more comfortable stealthing with the battery box.

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 10:46:36 AM »
I was kind of thinking in terms of added bulk in my pants!
Its pretty reasonable as it is now, jb3 and battery box.
Being unknowledgable regarding what all of the increased things mean (SPL rating, dynamic range) how will that translate into the sound? What I want is cleaner seperation of instruments (if possible) and lift it a little, they mostly seem to sound a little muffled.

Thanks

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 10:56:16 AM »
I hope others chime in, but I believe the mod does those things you are looking for.

If you are down with bit-torrent or the archive, I can give you links to or even mail you recordings done with the phantom power vs. those done with the stock SP mics.

The PS-2  is wider than the battery box, but perhaps only a little thicker and longer.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
Before spending money, just try and get some decent levels.  That sample you posted was 21dB short of peaking at the top level.  So crank the levels on your box and then turn up the JB3 gain until you get full levels (use the whole meter range on the JB3 and look out for the double bar on top).  Open up your wave files in an editor afterwards to see where you're getting. 

Part of the sound quality will be determined by making use of the full range.  Because your levels are so low, analyzing that sample you posted shows a limited range of 7,000 values to define each sample of your sound.  The available range in 16 bit is about 65,000 values (all the rest in your sample are unused because the levels never get high enough to use them).  Or put another way, you're only using 12 of the 16 bits available to you.

Not that there's anything wrong with mic mods but you've got some other issues to work out first!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »
Thanks for that, but I am seriously paranoid about having the levels too loud.
I always figure I can always boost it afterwards, but as you point out I maybe loosing quality by not using the full level.
I assume that the JB3 can go up to below the double bars without damaing the recording?
Leading on from this, I like to set the levels at the start of the show, then hide my gear.
Is there a danger that different songs will be at different levels, thus needing to readjust throughout the show?
Next show July 17th, I will try and creep it up a bit, but I seriously dont want to break the next show, its a band I really like!
I am consdering the mod, but dont think I can do it in time for my next show.
I am hearing pre-amps mentioned alot, what do these do exactly? Are these usable for stealthing?
If so, will these take away the need for a phantom power source? (obviously i still need the mod).
I will probably get SP to do it, and hopefully maintain the usage of battery box/or phantom power source.
Not been on this board long but already learning alot. Thanks guys ,  +T to you all (whatever that means!)

Thanks

Norm

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2004, 05:52:38 PM »
I hear you about not going over but you are way, way, low.  If you keep everything the same and use +12dB on the JB3s line in, you'll still only peak at 1/4 of the max.

To figure you where your JB3 goes, try recording some steady sound like FM hiss and bring it to the top, then back off a bit.  Open your wave file in an editor and look at it.

No problem  setting levels and leaving them for the whole show - just get in the zone.  Once you get to know your gear, that's pretty much what happens.

What kind of battery box do you have that has level settings but no preamp?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2004, 06:41:22 PM »

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2004, 09:33:44 PM »
that battery box doesn't apply gain

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 09:50:45 PM »
The gain was 0, i adjusted the levels with my battery box, it was about half way up.

This is the part that's confusing me - did you get the preamp option on the battery box?  I didn't think there was anything adjustable on that one you linked to.
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2004, 05:22:14 AM »
I have the optional bass roll off and the level changer.
Does that make it a preamp? when i bought it the slimline version has these optionals, however it doesnt seem to anymore?
Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com