Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT vs JB3 question  (Read 10394 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: DAT vs JB3 question
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 08:20:46 PM »
wtf

etree.org Community Bittorrent Tracker         

no such torrent

he pulled it, wtf.  guess we hurt his feelings.  I didn't bother to d/l but i'd love to seed it for you mark if you are not planning on it
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »
I haven't got around to the transfer yet, but once I do I'll be in touch, thanks ...

Heh I wish he didn't pull it as I would have been curious if he even responded anymore ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline silentmark

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 08:31:42 AM »
Heh I see another seed by this guy http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=12783 but I think he got the point as he is not listed as "taper" ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 08:55:20 AM »
the CO2 isn't even bit-perfect, correct???

There are anecdotal reports of the CO2 producing artifacts - dropped or misplaced samples - with certain gear combinations and powering options.  At any rate, simple digital format converters don't resample, though they have the potential to introduce artifacts.

Hmmm...do I detect a softening of your position on the CO2 thing? That I can agree with...!

You may (or may not) be suprised to find Mr tOdDoW is a good friend of mine - I assure you he is not as dumb as his etree posts make him sound...

I find that a lot of the younger guys - who have had CDs their whole lives - have a harder time grasping basic concepts of analog vs digital signals - older guys - like myself grew up on analog. So when CD came out - there was a great interest to understand the technology, and it really helped already haveing a strong understanding of analog signals.

I have a set of mics that I plan of passing on to tOdDoW...once he does the whole job himself - Im sure his viewpoint will change...

FWIW - I never put my name on anything I tape - I dont know why - I just think its too much of an obvious attempt to associate myself with someone elses greatness...

FWIW2 - I had noticed tOdDoWs tendency to dismiss the actual taper on other seeds - I knew sooner or later he would get his ass bit.  I told him he should give the lead taper some time make the transfer. If the recording doesnt surface in a certain amount of time - then seed yours...I think there should be some etiquet when seeding "patched" recordings...at least ask the lead taper if he plans on seeding...

Offline silentmark

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 09:06:17 AM »
Well I can tell you this, friend or not, dumb or not (even though all you have to do is ask someone who is tuned in or just search the web and read or just come here  ;)), I highly doubt I will give him a patch the next time I'm in town, shrug, lesson learned ...

Fozzy - I have the raw transfer done, just need to listen again and track it out, stay tuned ...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 09:11:01 AM by silentmark »

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »
bummer i missed all the bruhaha, love reading free entertainment on the internet

TOD²OW!_©]  << that handle is entertaining and hard to look at for too long, must be hell to enter, unless he keeps it permanently on a clipboard
we all live downstream.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »
the CO2 isn't even bit-perfect, correct???

There are anecdotal reports of the CO2 producing artifacts - dropped or misplaced samples - with certain gear combinations and powering options. At any rate, simple digital format converters don't resample, though they have the potential to introduce artifacts.

Hmmm...do I detect a softening of your position on the CO2 thing? That I can agree with...!

You may (or may not) be suprised to find Mr tOdDoW is a good friend of mine -

So are you still defending the CO2? Have you run any actual tests? Every test that Jamie Lutch ran showed dropped and missed samples. Can you demonstrate that the CO2 no longer drops or misses samples?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 10:28:19 AM »

No, not really.  The fact remains:  no one - with any combination of gear, under any circumstances - has ever proved the CO2 bit-transparent.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 12:24:22 PM »

No, not really.  The fact remains:  no one - with any combination of gear, under any circumstances - has ever proved the CO2 bit-transparent.
Yeah, and I'm still wishing that someone would take enough time to do a little reverse engineering on the CO2 and publish the schematic.   It really makes me wonder what could possibly be going on that it would not send a bit literal copy of what went into the box, unless it just doesn't drive the output LED hard enough to reliably send the 1's in the bit stream.  The concept should be pretty simple:

When you receive a logical high voltage = Turn the LED on
When you receive a logical low voltage = Turn the LED off

Seems like it would take a horrible design concept to screw that one up.

FWIW, I posted a schematic for the ODL-276 on this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36146.0;all

Reposted here:

Hopefully, someone will eventually post a schematic for the CO2.  I'd feel a lot better about the CO2 bashing if someone could actually point out the design flaw that is responsible for the reports of non bit perfect transfers using the CO2.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 01:04:48 PM »
i wonder if the CO2 just has a crappy optical TX or if they forgot the capacitor.  Hopefully someone can atleast post a picture of the internals.  converting coax to optical is fairly trivial the only additional thing you need is +5v or +3.3v to power the optical TX. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

hexyjones

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 01:39:43 PM »
here is the other side of the CO2 -

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 10:22:59 PM »
What's the part number on the chip right below the "MID" in  MIDIMAN?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline silentmark

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=12783

Well I will not be giving this person a patch ever again, I don't know if I should respond or just let it go ...

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 06:02:43 PM »
TAHT GUYS FUKED UP!1!!!1 H3 PUT WAY 2 MANY LOL AND LMAO IN HIS POSTS 2 TAEK SERIOUSLY1!!1 WTF

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »
"So good luck to you in your quest for "taper" recognition. Meanwhile, I'll be jammin' too some killer tunes! LMAO"

uhhhh......

Nothing really you can say to this one. It speaks volumes.

Me? I'm gonna go 'jammin' to that master I'm too lazy to BT (taper recognition be damned, I say)
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.531 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com