Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Where do you mark your track splits?

Either when they announce the song title "this is" or you hear the drum sticks counting off (click-click-click).
As soon as the "real" playing begins.
A little both of 1 & 2, it just depends.
I dunno man, I just wing it, I wear my foli hat so that the Gov't can't track me, I still haven't found out where they implanted that damn chip...
Who cares, hit the play button and kick back...

Author Topic: Tracking your shows *POLL*.  (Read 5448 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Re: Tracking your shows *POLL*.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »

i'll usually wait for the drum-click-tracks and start it there.  if the intro is only a couple seconds before, then i will include.  i usually dont separate banter tracks, unless its some longer story w/ some music riffs/tease.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 01:48:47 PM »
I'll include the pre-song introduction as long as it's not too long.  If it's way too long, I'll track it out as a separate track.  That way, you can leave it out or skip over it if you want to.  Just hit the >> button.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
I always track-out 3 seconds before each song starts.   

I never track out the crowd banter.  Especially do not track out the banter before the encore.   But I do track out the Band Introductions, because they were the ones that created the magic.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 02:22:19 PM »
imo it is better to over track mark then under
for example if you have a intro > song and you are unsure, track the intro and song as 2
that way you can listen to the whole thing or just the song if you want to skip the intro
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 10:37:54 PM »
imo it is better to over track mark then under
for example if you have a intro > song and you are unsure, track the intro and song as 2
that way you can listen to the whole thing or just the song if you want to skip the intro

I do this ALOT for moe as a matter of facxt

they commonly do a long intro into a few songs that sound really nothing like the actual song, so i name that Mexico Intro > Mexico for exaple, just cause i LOVE how Mexico kicks in for real ;D its our own little taper touych, and you can bet at the EXACT right note/s that the real mexico kicks in is PERFECT IMO ;D 8) :smoking:
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 09:54:02 AM »
I just track right before the song begins.  All banter is just at the end of the previous track.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 02:17:35 PM »
I track opening comments as "intro" then start each song at the first note of the actual song.  On the split to D2 (if it is still the first set) I put a little banter in the front of the track so you don't get hit with music instantly.  For a long musical intro into a song (one that is not typical to the song) I will usualy track it out as "jam" and I will usually split segue songs when I first start to recognise the next song or pull a jam out of the middle if it is a long segue.  If I don't know the band I don't track out much of the jam/musical intro stuff.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 03:15:19 PM »
I just track right before the song begins.  All banter is just at the end of the previous track.

JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 04:59:19 PM »
good poll, this is a pet peeve of mine, when I fast forward to a particular track I want to hear ***that*** track not fifteen seconds of yahoos yelling out their request and then ***that*** track; the worst example of this is Dave Matthews Band shows, it seems like most of the live DMB shows I get have a minute, or two minutes if you can believe it, of just general crowd noise to begin the recording before Dave greets the crowd, which makes me wonder why the hell would anyone track a recording this way? its just ridiculous and a complete wast of the listeners time to have to labor through that white noise, other than perhaps introducing the listener to "that" nights venue ambience and personality, which is crazy and simply a nuisance, just keep it simple and track when the number actually begins gets my vote on the tracking issue

Offline Gedit

• Taperssection Member
    • It's Live From
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »
if the intro is short and precedes the song by only a few secs, it'll stay in the song, otherwise it gets pushed out as a banter.

^As far as songs that run together, I'll split them unless doing so splits a strong note or a drum beat. With really jammy shows I split the track as soon as I spot the theme shift from one to the next

same here .. and tracking the seamless transitions that some jammies do is a freaking art. everyone has a different way to guage the perfect moment.
24-track mobile audio and video production
Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
----------------------------------------------------------------
It's Live From
Taking Live Performance to the Next Level
http://www.itslivefrom.com
gewing@radiodial.org

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com