Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Metal detector gear test  (Read 10156 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Metal detector gear test
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
So I found this walk-through metal detector at work (Garrett Pinpoint Detection PD6500i) and naturally decided to test some of my taping gear in it.  8)  Here are the results:

Positive (set off alarm):

Edirol R-09
CA-9100
Neumann km184 mics
XLR cables (Neutrik connectors)

Negative (no alarm):

AT853 mics
1/8" miniplug cable (male to male)

I forgot to bring my tiny Sound Pro battery box (nearly all plastic, tiny).  My keys and metal watch set it off too, not surprisingly.  I wonder if any portable recorder can make it through a metal detector if even the ultra-plastic R-09 can't avoid setting it off.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Metal detector gear test
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
So I found this walk-through metal detector at work (Garrett Pinpoint Detection PD6500i) and naturally decided to test some of my taping gear in it.  8)  Here are the results:

Positive (set off alarm):

Edirol R-09
CA-9100
Neumann km184 mics
XLR cables (Neutrik connectors)

Negative (no alarm):

AT853 mics
1/8" miniplug cable (male to male)

I forgot to bring my tiny Sound Pro battery box (nearly all plastic, tiny).  My keys and metal watch set it off too, not surprisingly.  I wonder if any portable recorder can make it through a metal detector if even the ultra-plastic R-09 can't avoid setting it off.

Well I imagine when concert venues start using actual metal decors, we will have to start going in nude or at least in our boxers since almost anything will set them off. We should try just telling people its an mp3 player.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
It also depends on the sensitivity setting of the detector.  I have gone through detectors before with an AD20 and nothing.  I also went through a detector last fall with an iRiver h120, 9100, and AT853s with no alarm.

Also, a good defense starts with a good offense, always wear a metal belt buckle.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:57 PM »
just carry in a 45.  security will be so busy with the gun they won't even notice the taping gear...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
If your keys and watch set it off, that metal detector was probably set really high.  I'm thinking that if they use a walk-through metal detector at a concert venue they're gonna have it set low enough that cell phones, watches, and keys won't set it off, and if it's that low the R-09 and CA-9100 should be fine (I'm not sure about the mics or cables). 

Offline Belexes

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
I bust right through with the R-09 and the 9100.  If it was set too sensitive the slightest thing would set it off and no one would get into the concert.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
I could not get 4022s, sonosax, interconnect and d100 through the walk-through detector at Cobo Arena. And putting them in the bin with my wallet and keys for the visual inspection wasn't an option.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
It also depends on the sensitivity setting of the detector.  I have gone through detectors before with an AD20 and nothing.  I also went through a detector last fall with an iRiver h120, 9100, and AT853s with no alarm.

Also, a good defense starts with a good offense, always wear a metal belt buckle.

That's a good point.  Sensitivity was probably pretty high as I have read that the R-09 and 9100 don't set off too many detectors.  There is a meter actually, with maybe 10 bars or so that range from green on the left end to red on the right end that evidently indicates how much the detector is being "triggered."  The AT853s got a few green bars and the gear that tripped the detector got almost all red bars. 

It would be nice though if there was a set of gear that you could easily and reliably sneak past a pretty sensitive metal detector.

Offline keep quiet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
Just went through the detectors at the MGM Grand in Vegas with an R-09. battery  box, and DSM-6s without a problem.  It all depends on the sensitivity they are set at.  A few months back the same gear did get a reaction from a wand, but was let through because I had a metal belt buckle.

If you ever have trouble with these detectors, just tell security you have your junk pierced.  It's not like they're going to check.
AT853 SC-ELE > AT-ADAPT > AT943 > SP-SPSB-8 > PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »
If you ever have trouble with these detectors, just tell security you have your junk pierced.  It's not like they're going to check.

I wonder how long it is before that line becomes a dead give-away for the would-be-taper.  8)

But you're right, they probably won't check. 

+T for getting your gear past the detector!

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
Ahh, the benefits of being paralyzed!  Few and far between but definately a plus in getting gear in.  I just strap my gear to my wheelchair's battery compartment...in like Flynn!  Only draw backs are when the only accesable seating is far from the sweet spot.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Belexes

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
Ahh, the benefits of being paralyzed!  Few and far between but definately a plus in getting gear in.  I just strap my gear to my wheelchair's battery compartment...in like Flynn!  Only draw backs are when the only accesable seating is far from the sweet spot.

I'd rather you be up and walking like the rest of us, but that is pretty damn cool to get gear into a show.

T
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Not good to hear that about Edirol R09... luckily only few venues here have the metal detectors and the metal belt excuse has always worked so far.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 05:31:35 PM »

I wonder how long it is before that line becomes a dead give-away for the would-be-taper.  8)

But you're right, they probably won't check. 

+T for getting your gear past the detector!

Long time.  

All Good had 18000 people in attendance, at most 15 mic stands were flying...and they're totally open taper friendly.  Similar ratios at most show, I'd imagine.  You feel conspicuous because you've got your gear stashed, but when only 1 out of every 100 at most belt buckles has taping gear stashed behind it, you still have a pretty good chance of getting stuff through.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »
The R-09 surprises me.  A while ago I had the R-09 in my cargo pants side pocket and forgot it was there at the airport.  Went though security undetected. 
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com