Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK4's or MK4V?  (Read 8370 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MK4's or MK4V?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »
But so many condenser microphones are designed to be artificially bright sounding, and/or have relatively high levels of distortion, that many people have come to assume that both qualities are an inherent feature of condenser microphones. Their ears have become so accustomed to hyped-up sound that to them, a microphone with low distortion and essentially flat response sounds "dark" to them by comparison.

I think the correct term here is 'muddy', as most Schoeps detractors like to say.  :P

Thanks to DSatz for an always informative (and authoritative) post. 

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
Dsatz,

my definition of 'darksound' was a bit of a copycat from reading other posts in the TS community.  :P

Reality is that I have only limited direct experience in earing different mic's in my jazz environment. I have just two extremes:
- CA11's (which of course have coloration) but respond to my need when stealthing in extreme situations
- MK21's>CMR  which are just perfectly neutral and great in reproducing the full scale of frequencies (I love them).

The problem with the MK21's is that when far away from stage and with electric bass and powerful drums they tend to sound distant and a bit boomy to my ears. That could also be the issue with my remaining parts of my rig (TB>M-10) + the room (as the auditorium in Rome by the Architect Renzo Piano, was meant for classical music).

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:24:37 AM by Napo »
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »
Dsatz,

my definition of 'darksound' was a bit of a copycat from reading other posts in the TS community.  :P

Reality is that I have only limited direct experience in earing different mic's in my jazz environment. I have just two extremes:
- CA11's (which of course have coloration) but respond to my need when stealthing in extreme situations
- MK21's>CMR  which are just perfectly neutral and great in reproducing the full scale of frequencies (I love them).

The problem with the MK21's is that when far away from stage and with electric bass and powerful drums they tend to sound distant and a bit boomy to my ears. That could also be the issue with my remaining parts of my rig (TB>M-10) + the room (as the auditorium in Rome by the Architect Renzo Piano, was meant for classical music).

Thank you

Nothing to add other than the fact that I'd love to join you in Rome with my rig and record some jazz and do a comparison. 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »
Napo, thanks for your reply and for not taking my remarks amiss. In general, omnis or wide cardioids aren't normally the best choice for stereo recording when you're stuck out in the reverberant (diffuse) sound field; I'd suggest a good pair of supercardioids, either coincident or closely spaced.

I mostly use and recommend Schoeps microphones, and I went through a long period of time in which I used the Schoeps supercardioids for most of my recordings. But if you're often stuck recording from farther back than you prefer and particularly if avoiding boominess is your principal concern, I could very well understand if someone were to prefer a microphone such as the Neumann KM 150 (or KM 185 for the lower-cost, non-modular version). It has a considerable low-frequency rolloff built into the capsule design--nearly to the point where it would qualify as a close-speech microphone. I imagine that it was designed to "split the difference" between the demands of dialog recording and of music recording, rather favoring the dialog recording between those two applications. But the rolloff is nicely chosen, and while the microphone definitely shifts the emphasis in music recording toward the midrange and upper midrange, it is not without a low end ("rolloff" does not mean "cutoff"). So you might want to try a pair of those some time, perhaps.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
Dsats,

T+ again for your suggestion. Following what you are saying I may decide to try the MK41 after all to have a 'large pattern' option as mentioned by Taylorc and others.
I want to stay with Schoeps for a while, also to maximize my investment in the CMR's. The Newmann will remain in my radar as well.

It goes without saying that all of you TS fellows are invited to have a drink in Rome (wine is on me) and go together to tape live music (get your stealth rigs out  >:D). Jim in Jersey, you are the first on the list  :)

Best,
Mauro
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:34 AM »
I'll throw down an opinion on the association of 'muddy' with Schoeps gear. 

So many people covet the Grace preamps and they get such great press here on TS.com.  I don't disagree that the V2 and V3 are great products in combo with the vast majority of mics, but when evaluating the end result, you have to consider how the mic and preamp work together. 

With that in mind, I hear alot of loose low-end when I listen to live recordings made with the Grace - Schoeps combo.  Although the combo has enough warmth for my tastes, it's just that the bottom end usually sounds loose to me...bass guitar notes tend to lack definition that I personally require on my recordings.  Nevertheless, since there are so many recordings out there with Schoeps through a V2 or V3, I think that leads alot of people to a broader general conclusion that Schoeps = muddy low-end.

So, IMNSHO Schoeps have a crystal clean bottom through most preamps, but not so much through Grace.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:46:54 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »
41+21 would be sweet!!!  Best of both worlds IMO.
The 4's might be too redundant since you already have 21's.  5's would be excellent, but a bit more expensive.
21's up close.
41's further back. 
or
41's up closed used as "spot" mics.
Golden.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
T+ uncleyung.

In my golden dreams besides MK21/41's there is a pair of LD Milab mics with the switch omni/card.

But this is another story, or better just a dream for the moment  :P
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
I recommend the MK41 capsules as well. Most supercardioids sound unnatural to my ears. The MK41 is an exception. I love mine.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
...the room (as the auditorium in Rome by the Architect Renzo Piano, was meant for classical music)...

Is that the main room (the Saint Cecilia, maybe)?  I am assuming that you are describing the Parco della Musica?  I saw Robert Fripp there about five years ago.  Really an amazing venue...Beautiful.  Nice acoustics, too.  But huge.  Maybe those hypers are a pretty good idea if you can't get up close! 

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
...the room (as the auditorium in Rome by the Architect Renzo Piano, was meant for classical music)...

Is that the main room (the Saint Cecilia, maybe)?  I am assuming that you are describing the Parco della Musica?  I saw Robert Fripp there about five years ago.  Really an amazing venue...Beautiful.  Nice acoustics, too.  But huge.  Maybe those hypers are a pretty good idea if you can't get up close!

Yes, it is Parco della Musica but the medium room called Sala Sinopoli. There is a third one the samllest, called Sala Petrassi. Acoustic is great fro acustic orchestra and 'smooth' jazz. If you get an electric bass and powerful drums, it tends to sound boomy.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
here the English link to the Parco della Musica in Rome.
http://www.auditorium.com/en/auditorium/spazi-sale/index

On the left side of the screen the detailes of each room.

A real beauty!
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 11:01:38 PM »
mk41
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »
Having tried both, and being a Schoeps kinda guy, I like the MK4s.  The 4v's are a bit too bright for my taste.  To the extent that the recording is too "warm" (the negative is muddy), I simply do a 60-80 or 90 highpass.  Most of the time, for the venues I go to (smaller venues) and where I sit (good seats, up front) I get little echo and rarely too much bass, so that is not necessary.  If you do arena stuff with middle to poor seats, the mkvs might be better suited for you. 

My suggestion is to go on The Dime, and do some comparitive listening.  You can also PM anyone with either 4vs or mk4s in their signature block and have them upload some recordings for you to A-B. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
With that in mind, I hear alot of loose low-end when I listen to live recordings made with the Grace - Schoeps combo.  Although the combo has enough warmth for my tastes, it's just that the bottom end usually sounds loose to me...bass guitar notes tend to lack definition that I personally require on my recordings.

Interesting.. I've never felt that way with my use of the v3 and Schoeps or MGs.  As I've said, I feel that the v3 actually rolls off the bass a bit.   The v3 and the DAV BG1 are the cleanest, most detailed pre-amps I own for acoustic recording.  So, what is a better portable pre-amp for purely acoustic material?

Back to cap selection..  So much depends on what you record, and what you like.

I think PA systems are often muddy, and some people choose bright mics that correct for that.  I think playback systems are also a factor - muddy playback with sloppy bass will favor brighter mics.

I've told the story before - I initially went with mk21's and mk41's.  Then I added mk4's.  And then I sold my mk41's. I find there are many situations where the mk4's sound so much better than mk41's, but which aren't ideal for mk21's. If the room sound is compromised enough to require mk41's, then I need to move closer, and usually can.  I like my mg210's more than the mk41's, but I seldom run those.  I like my mg200's more than the mk4's, though the mg200's don't have quite as much low frequency response.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63748.0

While there are situations where the mk41 and mk4 can sound very similar, I strongly reject the idea that the mk41 is comparable to the mk4 in recording quality, and is somehow a substitute.   I find the more directional the pattern, the less natural the result sounds.

The mk4v's are very nice - the high freq bump can help capture detail.  Zman has dozens and dozens of mk4v recordings in circulation.

mk41's are very useful if you record very quiet sources at very high gain (50+dB), but can't get close. They help reduce the incidental noise that becomes a problem at high gain.

When the conditions are optimal for the mk21, I find they produce stunning results that cannot be equaled with any card or hyper.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com