Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414 outdoor windscreens???  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
AKG 414 outdoor windscreens???
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
Did a search, seems all threads on this are pretty dated. Any new news? Neumann ws87 or ws89 maybe. Any other options out there.
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline ACandDC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: AKG 414 outdoor windscreens???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:36 AM »
I don´t know any specific windscreen that would work at it´s own, but I have used normal shotgun windscreens (like Rode Blimp) and Neutrik XLR M/F extension adapters or plastic pipe and tapes to get microphone steady. I hope that there is better solution for this.

:)
SD 702, SD MixPre-D, SQN 4s III, AKG 414XLS pair with rycote windjammers, AT4029 with Rode Blimp. Wavelab Elements 8. Genelec 6010.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
Maybe a set Dead Rat's custom made...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »
I ran mine split, outdoors and high with the stock screens plus a pair of Tim's Dead Muppets ($20).  Worked like a charm.  I was in omni setting, so that probably also helped.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »
i got some of tims muppets as well and they work excellent outdoors overtop stock screens!

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ACandDC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
A normal foam windscreen that fits over 58 or something at same size. Cover the foam with Rode Dead Kitten fur.

Fits like a glove, works quite well in normal outdoor conditions and looks nice.
SD 702, SD MixPre-D, SQN 4s III, AKG 414XLS pair with rycote windjammers, AT4029 with Rode Blimp. Wavelab Elements 8. Genelec 6010.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
Rycote do custom foam windshields - they may already have one.  Just cover it with a special Windjammer for maximum protection.

The special design of the Rycote Windjammer minimises high frequency loss and maximises wind protection.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
Rycote do custom foam windshields - they may already have one.  Just cover it with a special Windjammer for maximum protection.

The special design of the Rycote Windjammer minimises high frequency loss and maximises wind protection.

Does Rycote make a Windjammer that will fit over the 414's and their stock windscreens?  I asked one of my local shops to do a search for me a year or so ago and they couldn't find any commercially-produced dead rat that fit the bill.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
If you want another opinion ask Ted (tgakidis) he runs these, and probably every other models of AKG's.  :lol:
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »

Does Rycote make a Windjammer that will fit over the 414's and their stock windscreens?  I asked one of my local shops to do a search for me a year or so ago and they couldn't find any commercially-produced dead rat that fit the bill.

The Windjammers are not cheap.  Lots of different sizes of Windjammers.  And the one's that fit over the Rycote "baby ball gags" might work for 414's.  I have 414's and can check for you. 

I also have two 22mm Rycote Baby Ball Gags, used once, which will be for sale and the Rycote windjammers for the baby ball gags will be for sale too.  The 22mm baby ball gags are slightly too small for the Nevaton MK49s that I purchased them for.

http://www.rycote.com/products/baby_ball_gag/

22 mm Baby Ball Gag Windshield

021801 - Baby Ball Gag Windjammer - Suitable for all sizes of Baby Ball Gag
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
The Windjammers are not cheap.  Lots of different sizes of Windjammers.  And the one's that fit over the Rycote "baby ball gags" might work for 414's.  I have 414's and can check for you.

Yes please, dactylus.  If you could see how well/if the Baby Ball Gag sized Windjammers fit over the 414's with the stock foam windscreens and let us know the results, that would be great.  Thanks!

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 04:59:36 AM »

Almost certainly - yes.

They do a range of special Windjammers - just contact Rycote with the size of the foam windshield you have and they will ley you know.

A 1-off special may also be easy as they make everything on the premises so it would be simple to slightly modify an existing design if necessary.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
Almost certainly - yes.

They do a range of special Windjammers - just contact Rycote with the size of the foam windshield you have and they will ley you know.

A 1-off special may also be easy as they make everything on the premises so it would be simple to slightly modify an existing design if necessary.

That's good to know.  Thanks for the info, John!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com