Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ideas for Installed Rig  (Read 8069 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Ideas for Installed Rig
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
Ended up pulling the trigger on the LSD2 in the YS.  It will continue to be mine, and I'm fairly comfortable that in this location it won't get destroyed.

Now the question turns to whether I will even get any pre, or just leave that.  Joe's suggestion of the UA-5 seems like a good one; I suppose it being 16bit is not a big deal as I could just use it as a P48 supply and then take an analog line out of it if I wanted to (right?). 

Also, am I correct that multiple people could patch from it at once?

Is there any other inexpensive (under $100) analog pre that would allow multiple patchers?  I assume nothing in that price range has digi-out except the UA5.

I'm pretty sure the UA5 sends a 24bit signal, but most of us used 16bit buckets with it and let them do the truncation. Newer stuff like the D50 won't work with it, but others will, plus as you noted there is multiple outs. The bummer about the outs is that the analog ones are A>D>A, but in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't worry here, cost is a bigger issue.

Yes, a UA-5 is definitely 24 bit, up to 24/96.  Page is correct, back when the UA5 was in it's heyday most of us had 16bit recorders.  I think the A>D>A thing is way overblown... It's a theoretical problem, I don't believe anyone can hear it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Ideas for Installed Rig
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 02:48:31 AM »
Ended up pulling the trigger on the LSD2 in the YS.  It will continue to be mine, and I'm fairly comfortable that in this location it won't get destroyed.

Now the question turns to whether I will even get any pre, or just leave that.  Joe's suggestion of the UA-5 seems like a good one; I suppose it being 16bit is not a big deal as I could just use it as a P48 supply and then take an analog line out of it if I wanted to (right?). 

Also, am I correct that multiple people could patch from it at once?

Is there any other inexpensive (under $100) analog pre that would allow multiple patchers?  I assume nothing in that price range has digi-out except the UA5.

I'm pretty sure the UA5 sends a 24bit signal, but most of us used 16bit buckets with it and let them do the truncation. Newer stuff like the D50 won't work with it, but others will, plus as you noted there is multiple outs. The bummer about the outs is that the analog ones are A>D>A, but in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't worry here, cost is a bigger issue.

Yes, a UA-5 is definitely 24 bit, up to 24/96.  Page is correct, back when the UA5 was in it's heyday most of us had 16bit recorders.  I think the A>D>A thing is way overblown... It's a theoretical problem, I don't believe anyone can hear it.

very likely, especially for this purpose. I remembering doing some low noise tests on my fr2-le and my ua-5 (digimod) and going "wow", but that was also stock electronic noise build in and not just the A>D>A.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com