Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hyper caps... when?  (Read 7869 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hyper caps... when?
« on: April 08, 2005, 05:19:48 PM »
I have no idea of what are these and guess what... I haven't found anything using the search!
So before killing me let me say I'm legitimated to ask about them  ;D

From what I've seen these are used to tape for taping when you are so far from stage to use even cards right?
Please enlight me about these. I am going to do a few stadiums this summer and I might be interested.

I have some 853s, how much would cost me a pair of these?

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Hyper caps... when?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 05:26:36 PM »
keep searching, i found plenty. ;)

but yeah......you have the right idea.  hypers help better focus in on your sound source.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »
I have no idea of what are these and guess what... I haven't found anything using the search!

From what I've seen these are used to tape for taping when you are so far from stage to use even cards right?
Please enlight me about these. I am going to do a few stadiums this summer and I might be interested.

When I ran my AKG's, I only/always used hypers. Now I'm running 853's and use card's but will be picking up some hyper's soon. I found a place online that sells them for $28 each. I can't think of the name off the top of my head. PM me if you're interested and I'll figure it out.... or post it here.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 06:12:41 PM »
hypers are good for many uses.

Far field recording is one use, say you are taping from the lawn at a outside shed with no relay tower..hypers or shotguns for that matter come in handy, would even conisder using them under the shell of certain outdoor venus that have that boomy factor (I.E. Darien Lake) unless you are really close.

I use mine pretty much all the time taping in doors unless I am lip of stage or on stage. They are good for crappy sounding venus, cut down on room refection and some crowd noise, but watch out for the pick up pattern in the rear lobe.

Some hypers are different than others though...I find the mk41 to perform well in almost any situation, unless their is wind.

It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 07:02:07 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

I guess it's a matter of trial and error question, as always, determining which caps are the best in each case.
In stadiums these might be very useful, specially when you are not so close to stage.

Which are the cons of using hypers (in addition to possible crow noise)?

PS stejampzy sent you a pm

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

I guess it's a matter of trial and error question, as always, determining which caps are the best in each case.
In stadiums these might be very useful, specially when you are not so close to stage.

Which are the cons of using hypers (in addition to possible crow noise)?

PS stejampzy sent you a pm

keep in mind hypers actually do a good job of attenuating off axis crowd noise. Thing you have to watch for is people that like to stand right behind the mics and be loud.

Yes, if you are far back in a stadium recording hypers would work also unless its really windy, then you will get a shit load of wind since wind and hypers don't do too well.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 08:18:45 PM »
if you are far back in a stadium recording hypers would work also unless its really windy, then you will get a shit load of wind since wind and hypers don't do too well.

Better pick up some omni's and shotgun's too then. ;)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 08:56:22 PM »

When I ran my AKG's, I only/always used hypers. Now I'm running 853's and use card's but will be picking up some hyper's soon. I found a place online that sells them for $28 each. I can't think of the name off the top of my head. PM me if you're interested and I'll figure it out.... or post it here.

That's funny, I just bought a pair from the same place (I'm assuming) TODAY. The total for both was almost what everyone else is charging for a pair.

http://www.alphasoundandlighting.com/overheadmics.html

They were out of stock on omni's, I thought I'd pick up a set if they were as cheap as the hyper elements.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:50:36 PM »
if you are far back in a stadium recording hypers would work also unless its really windy, then you will get a shit load of wind since wind and hypers don't do too well.

how are shotguns in the wind? Never used them, would figure it would be worse than hypers
In Tyler we Trust

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »

how are shotguns in the wind? Never used them, would figure it would be worse than hypers

exactly right :)

but for the record, i ran hypers all of moedown last summer and if anyone has been there, it gets windy cause its on a ski resort :)

i had the dpa screens and they held up well for the most part, but im def getting the shures this year :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 02:08:07 AM »
i'm a fan of hypers in bars too.  most bar type venues have crappy pa's and lots of talkers.  the hypers are good at zeroing on the sound and not picking up people to the sides.  the back you have to worry about a bit, but just stand behind your stand and you'll be good to go for the most part.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »

D'oh... shotguns for the *non-windy* stadiums then.... :P

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
of course, no wind, use them...I find my mk41's to be very suspectable to wind....last year I used them outdoors and even with windsceens the slightest gut would peg my levels....use the dpa windscreen, maybe I need something thicker
In Tyler we Trust

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 02:03:41 AM »
i'm a fan of hypers in bars too.  most bar type venues have crappy pa's and lots of talkers.  the hypers are good at zeroing on the sound and not picking up people to the sides.  the back you have to worry about a bit, but just stand behind your stand and you'll be good to go for the most part.

Which mic config would help best keeping down the "chatters" from behind when using hypers?  I typically run DINa in this small local (crappy sounding) bar. Or like someone else mentioned, probably best to stand behind your rig. Where we setup the stands is at the point where the back of the room opens up to tables/bar and in front of us is the dance floor/stage. The mics are right under a ceiling divider. It's about 2 feet higher behind us. Thanks for any ideas. Although, I'm thinking there's probably not much I can do.

-john

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 02:19:10 AM »

Which mic config would help best keeping down the "chatters" from behind when using hypers? I typically run DINa in this small local (crappy sounding) bar. Or like someone else mentioned, probably best to stand behind your rig. Where we setup the stands is at the point where the back of the room opens up to tables/bar and in front of us is the dance floor/stage. The mics are right under a ceiling divider. It's about 2 feet higher behind us. Thanks for any ideas. Although, I'm thinking there's probably not much I can do.

-john

i try to run din, but i must admit sometimes i don't run any real configuration and just aim my mics at the outside edge of the speakers.  i usually fly my mics high enuf to be above head height and on the same plain as the speakers (if they hang from the ceiling, which most bar type venues do).  i have my bag on the floor behind the stand and i stand behind that, which tends to keep out most of the chatter.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 05:04:54 AM »
FWIW my hypers have done a wonderful job at Razzmatazz and Apolo (to use some venues you frequent) when set up right in front of the SBD at razzmatazz or right on the front balcony at Apolo, both these places have a relativly quiet place behind you so the rear lobe doesn't pick up too much and it cuts down the chatter that is common at these places due to the fact they have a nightclub feel not a concert hall.  For a comparison Big Ray's Wilco tape was done with Cards and Mine with Hypers from the same stand, the hypers virtually eliminate the loud guy in front of us. 
mics & cameras

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 12:47:01 PM »
i run the blimp style wind screens w/ my shotguns and never have wind problems.  even red rocks best storm was no match for them.  although the thunder is audible!?!?!?!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »
I used a trusty pair of wool socks on an extremely windy day at Darien Lake NY  Allman Brothers 9/6/04.  I was out on the lawn w/ Sanjay.  Recording came out great.  Hardly any schnizzle.

As for eliminating "chatty Wooks" behind and to the sides of you, short shotguns are the best.  They were built with them in mind.

Sennheiser ME66
Sennheiser MKH-416
AKG C568EB
Neumann KMR81i
Audio Technica AT4073A

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 04:17:49 PM »
"Short" Shotguns are great at removing "chatty Wooks" behind and the sides of you.   :D

I actually made my own pair of windscreens. I was camping before a show (Moxy Fruvous, Donna the Buffalo at the Grape Jam) and realized I left my windscreens at home.  I was in the middle of no where, and found a strip-mall with a Radio Shack in it.  They didn't have any windscreens in stock, so I went next door to a dollar store, and bought 2 of those foam basketball sets that you hang on the back of your bedroom door.  Next to the dollar store was a craft store.  There I bought some fake fur, as I had recently used a pair of rycote softies.  Using my pocket knife, and a needle and thread from an emergency kit, I made these by latern light the night before the show.  They worked great at blocking the wind (I've used them a couple times) but may make the low end a little muddier.  Still, for about $5, they're not too bad.   

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
+Tfor creativity :)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »
+T!!   :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 05:19:46 PM »
"Short" Shotguns are great at removing "chatty Wooks" behind and the sides of you.   :D

I actually made my own pair of windscreens. I was camping before a show (Moxy Fruvous, Donna the Buffalo at the Grape Jam) and realized I left my windscreens at home.  I was in the middle of no where, and found a strip-mall with a Radio Shack in it.  They didn't have any windscreens in stock, so I went next door to a dollar store, and bought 2 of those foam basketball sets that you hang on the back of your bedroom door.  Next to the dollar store was a craft store.  There I bought some fake fur, as I had recently used a pair of rycote softies.  Using my pocket knife, and a needle and thread from an emergency kit, I made these by latern light the night before the show.  They worked great at blocking the wind (I've used them a couple times) but may make the low end a little muddier.  Still, for about $5, they're not too bad.   

+T for creativity and making me laugh...short shotguns...wooks....hehe
In Tyler we Trust

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 06:40:13 PM »
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 07:01:53 PM »

did you notice what the windscreen's jpg is named???   tribbles!

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 07:48:16 PM »
Martha Stewart style!  +T!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »
my unwarranted $.02:

I think people overuse hypers - I know I did when I got the TL's - I always felt that they were the best because they cut down on all of that noise... but the tradeoff is that it doesn't sound as "big" to me - not as much room sound, which I personally think is one of the best parts of tapes....

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Room sound is great in a good sounding room, but most all the places I tape indoors at in Rochester the thing I want is room noise...sounds like a damn warehouse
In Tyler we Trust

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 08:15:03 PM »
and also, in most places in pburgh, im taping small bands in bars, not a 'card' room IMO

i agree tho, when the time is right, cards shine, when in doubt, go hypers :)

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 11:18:13 AM »
As for eliminating "chatty Wooks" behind and to the sides of you, short shotguns are the best.  They were built with them in mind.

as in the "sawed off" variety?

:D

I never knew there was a "rear lobe" problem with them....
the hypers, not the wooks (they have a *frontal* lobe problem....)

I have hyper caps for my AT853s, but I don't know that they came
with a diagram on the range of acceptance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:25:32 AM by EvilEye »
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 01:18:34 PM »

So, is the time right in stadiums to use hypers?  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 04:27:52 PM »

So, is the time right in stadiums to use hypers? ;D

stadiums or arena id use hypers personally, and maybe even guns in a stadium

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 09:23:48 PM »

So, is the time right in stadiums to use hypers? ;D

stadiums or arena id use hypers personally, and maybe even guns in a stadium

guns in staduim's and on the lawn at a shed and hypers in arena's and shitty sounding venues, cards
all the way everywhere else even okay sounding rooms.  ive pulled good tapes with my cards in arena's
sheds and okay sounding venues.
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com