Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4060s/HEBs into iRiver/R09  (Read 9371 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA 4060s/HEBs into iRiver/R09
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 08:45:40 AM »
I don't know of anyone who has tried to power the 4060/4061's directly with the R-09 but would be curious to know if it works and how much the performance is reduced if it does. 
i ran dpa 4061 > iriver h120 via line in (2.5v of power) last weekend for a friend's band and there was no audible distortion.
others have also run the same setup a lot and reported no distortion problems except on VERY loud (i.e. ear bleeding) shows.
the spec for the dpa 406x series says that 5v is the minimum power required so i dunno what is actually missing from these 2.5v powered  recordings dynamics wise; if anything.  maybe it makes the mic distort at 140 dB instead of the spec 144 dB and doesn't affect the frequency response & dynamic range?

Thanks y'all - this is VERY interesting indeed!!! 

Now I just need to find out if it's possible to get a 2microdot to 1 1/8" adapter so that it MIGHT be possible to use them both with an M2k OR run straight in.

And the other question I'm still trying to figure out - if I were to run them w/ a BB THEN into an RO9, using the pre in the R09 (eg NOT "line in" - I need gain from somewhere for opera) - would I fry something because it would be too much power?  I'm not clear if it would be possible to power the mics, but then use the pre in the device - that would be a really good compromise for me if it's actually technically possible...................

what you will be trading off with under powering is lesser sensitivity and worse signal to noise ratio.
DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 09:54:52 AM »
[Thanks y'all - this is VERY interesting indeed!!! 

Now I just need to find out if it's possible to get a 2microdot to 1 1/8" adapter so that it MIGHT be possible to use them both with an M2k OR run straight in.

And the other question I'm still trying to figure out - if I were to run them w/ a BB THEN into an RO9, using the pre in the R09 (eg NOT "line in" - I need gain from somewhere for opera) - would I fry something because it would be too much power?  I'm not clear if it would be possible to power the mics, but then use the pre in the device - that would be a really good compromise for me if it's actually technically possible...................

No problem with batt box>R-09 mic in.  You can turn off the supplied power to the mic-in on the R-09 via a menu.  For opera I think I'd use the DPA preamp if I had the choice, lots of dynamic range with quiet parts that require low noise.

If you find someone to make up the microdot>1/8" 'Y' adaptor I'll spring for one, too.  The microdot ends are the hang-up there.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »
[Thanks y'all - this is VERY interesting indeed!!! 

If you find someone to make up the microdot>1/8" 'Y' adaptor I'll spring for one, too.  The microdot ends are the hang-up there.

Or (presumably), 1/8" termination on the mics  attached into a microdot splitter...  ;)

For that matter, does the connector on the HEB's have a cable to turn it into a 1/8"?  The fact that the R09 would make it possible to run mics>bb>depowered-but-with-built-in-preamp would be pretty awesome for me ... :)

SOrry for the minutiae, and thanks again for all the replies (can you tell I'm slavering over a pair of these puppies?  In a perfect world I'd be buying new mics, M6K AND an R09, but I guess the madness has to stop somewhere. For the time being .... ;))

DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
Or (presumably), 1/8" termination on the mics  attached into a microdot splitter...  ;)
That would be the best route for Ebay 406x that need their termination changed anyway from the LEMO's.
[edit] if you want to have the option of using the MMA6k or going direct in. [edit]
For that matter, does the connector on the HEB's have a cable to turn it into a 1/8"?  The fact that the R09 would make it possible to run mics>bb>depowered-but-with-built-in-preamp would be pretty awesome for me ... :)
The HEB's terminate in a shared mini XLR I believe.  To run them direct into a 1/8 jack (the line in of the R-09 or a non-HEB, 1/8" input jack batt box) you'd need a mini XLR>1/8" stereo adapter.  Not an off-the-shelf item, but the parts are easily available.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:59:44 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 06:56:26 PM »
I don't know of anyone who has tried to power the 4060/4061's directly with the R-09 but would be curious to know if it works and how much the performance is reduced if it does. 
i ran dpa 4061 > iriver h120 via line in (2.5v of power) last weekend for a friend's band and there was no audible distortion.
others have also run the same setup a lot and reported no distortion problems except on VERY loud (i.e. ear bleeding) shows.
the spec for the dpa 406x series says that 5v is the minimum power required so i dunno what is actually missing from these 2.5v powered  recordings dynamics wise; if anything.  maybe it makes the mic distort at 140 dB instead of the spec 144 dB and doesn't affect the frequency response & dynamic range?

what you will be trading off with under powering is lesser sensitivity and worse signal to noise ratio.

Thanks Teddy, that's what I figured, so for loud 'rock' type shows the trade off may be acceptable.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »

You can get a little better deal on the DPA stuff from some of the smaller vendors recommended on this site & you'll support the smaller buisnesses that support us in turn.

Good luck!

I think I'm out of the loop on this - which vendors? I've pretty much used SP for everything to date, so fill me in on some more of the good guys!

I've been continuing to think about this, and I think what I'd REALLY like to make happen if I can (it'll all depend on what I can afford to buy at once)

1. 4060s>iriver mic in (even if slightly under-powered, I think  it would be be fine for the "snoop tapes"  I run for myself in my small-room rehearsals and saves carryinig a lot of stuff around)
2. 4060s>bb>R09
3. 4060s>MK6>iRver/jb3/whatever else I'm using down the road

SO

Since I don't see myself being able to get mics AND R9 AND M6k all at once, I'm gonna have to pick and choose (sigh).   

So (sorry - bear with me as I think this through), it seems likely I WILL l need to be able to run the mics with both micro dots AND a 1/8" mini.  I suppose Len could  possibly do HEB's with the other connectors and breakout cables, but the 2 year warrantee is  defeinitely an incentive to go with DPA (esp if I can actually save a few $ as well).  And the cabling I'd like, as others have said,  is the sticking point - IS there any way to get a microdot Y---> 1/8? I found a single md---->1/8" adapter, but only a single, which won't do me any good (and they're $75 each!). Any sugg's of where to hunt for what I need?

Also, WiFiJeff - you said you had found a lightweight BB that runs your mics? Could you share how/where to find? Thanks :)

Thanks to you all  - I understand this all much better now (have only ever used plug-in power mics before, so this is new territory). 

Edited to add:  I suppose it might be possible to go the other way around - get them terminated in 1/8 and then adapt them TO microdots as/when needed down the line?  In that scenario, what BB would be appropriate for them?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:27:37 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »
I think I'm out of the loop on this - which vendors? I've pretty much used SP for everything to date, so fill me in on some more of the good guys!

Bought my DPA stuff from Cascade Media, they were quick, proffesional, no problems what so ever, I've also been very pleased with SP.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »

Bought my DPA stuff from Cascade Media, they were quick, proffesional, no problems what so ever, I've also been very pleased with SP.

Thanks for the recc!   I just checked out their site and interestingly I  notice that they carry a 4063 ... which runs on lower voltage?  Would THAT possibly be a solution for me, meaning I could just run as I have to date using mic-in power and standard BBs?  Just curious.  And how does that SOUND comparable to the 4060/1?

http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=114&prodid=1086
DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 10:50:40 AM »
= I just checked out their site and interestingly I  notice that they carry a 4063 ... which runs on lower voltage?  Would THAT possibly be a solution for me, meaning I could just run as I have to date using mic-in power and standard BBs?  Just curious.  And how does that SOUND comparable to the 4060/1?

That's the version I mentioned that's designed for use directly into some low-voltage wireless systems. Could work nicely but is an untested config as far as I know.  Are you a willing guinea pig?  The questions I'd ask DPA or the reseller:

~What is the trade off for the lower voltage requirement? (looks like a lower SPL limit but I didn't actually compare the specs. IMO, that alone is not a problem)
~Can the 4063 be powered by the MMA600? (if you want to do that at some point)
~What is the current draw of the mic at that reduced voltage spec? (see below..)
~What's their return policy?

Keep in mind:
~The other side of the powering coin is sufficient current.  Since the voltage requirement of this version is reduced the current draw may be increased to compensate (I don't know if this is the case for this mic or not).  Whatever you plug the mics into needs to provide both sufficient votage and sufficent current to properly power the mics.  <this was an issue Leonard ran into testing the R-09 to see if it would directly power the DSM mics he sells which have a lower voltage/higher current draw than most 'plug-in power' mics. The voltage supplied by the R-09 (2.5v) was sufficient but the available current was lacking for the DSM's.  I don't know what the I-river supplies.
~The 4063 is unavailable with the higher sensitivity of the 4060, if the 4061 sensitivity is enough for you this won't be an issue.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
= I just checked out their site and interestingly I  notice that they carry a 4063 ... which runs on lower voltage?  Would THAT possibly be a solution for me, meaning I could just run as I have to date using mic-in power and standard BBs?  Just curious.  And how does that SOUND comparable to the 4060/1?

That's the version I mentioned that's designed for use directly into some low-voltage wireless systems. Could work nicely but is an untested config as far as I know.  Are you a willing guinea pig?  The questions I'd ask DPA or the reseller:

~What is the trade off for the lower voltage requirement? (looks like a lower SPL limit but I didn't actually compare the specs. IMO, that alone is not a problem)
~What is the current draw of the mic at that reduced voltage spec? (see below..)

Keep in mind:
~The other side of the powering coin is sufficient current.  Since the voltage requirement of this version is reduced the current draw may be increased to compensate (I don't know if this is the case for this mic or not).  Whatever you plug the mics into needs to provide both sufficient votage and sufficent current to properly power the mics.  <this was an issue Leonard ran into testing the R-09 to see if it would directly power the DSM mics he sells which have a lower voltage/higher current draw than most 'plug-in power' mics. The voltage supplied by the R-09 (2.5v) was sufficient but the available current was lacking for the DSM's.  I don't know what the I-river supplies.
~The 4063 is unavailable with the higher sensitivity of the 4060, if the 4061 sensitivity is enough for you this won't be an issue.

Gutbucket, that post is really helpful - thanks! 

My hunch is that I probably DO need 4060s since I'm all acoustic, but then I don't know anybody who is running 4061s for classical so I've never heard them. What's the expert opinion on that?    I'll confess that I'm still enough of a n00b that even though I can see the numerical differences on the spec lists, I don't REALLY know what that means in real life applications to interpret the data.

Has anybody here run 4061s for acoustic/classical?
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
I recorded a few things with the 4061s. (Chamber Music, Pipe Organ, transverse flute/soprano)

I felt that for my needs, they were a bit noisy, but the 4060s spec better. also, removing the covering from the mic gives a more linear response.

= I just checked out their site and interestingly I  notice that they carry a 4063 ... which runs on lower voltage?  Would THAT possibly be a solution for me, meaning I could just run as I have to date using mic-in power and standard BBs?  Just curious.  And how does that SOUND comparable to the 4060/1?

Keep in mind:

Gutbucket, that post is really helpful - thanks! 

My hunch is that I probably DO need 4060s since I'm all acoustic, but then I don't know anybody who is running 4061s for classical so I've never heard them. What's the expert opinion on that?    I'll confess that I'm still enough of a n00b that even though I can see the numerical differences on the spec lists, I don't REALLY know what that means in real life applications to interpret the data.

Has anybody here run 4061s for acoustic/classical?

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »
Final Q (for the time being): I finally saw a decent pic of the HEB's + cs BB and see how the mics are terminated in the mini XLR AND the 1/8".  Can THAT 1/8" connection into something like the iRiver (even without the BB)?  Obviously, I realise there are still debatable power issues w/the iRiver, but I'm interested in whether or not the physical connection can run that way and produce a signal.    Or does it have to pass through the XLR connection first?  Sorry if this is really obvious - I've just never seen them in person, so it's kinda hard to tell how the chain works...

Tx again for putting up with the dumbass questions!
DPA4060
R09

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 07:31:30 PM »
Yes, though I've only run the HEB into an M1 DAT and an R1.  Anything that will take a mic-in 1/8" stereo should work fine.

Jeff

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »
Thanks Jeff - that's what I needed to know.

I fear this fact alone may swing me back towards CS. I was kind of hoping to avoid Len (although I've had no actual problems with him to date - he was positively expansive and (almost) charming last time i spoke with him) but I think the plugging (and the difficulty of getting m'dot ---> converters) may sway it for me. 

That said, still a good while to think about it.  I'll probably continue to vacillate until I actually put in the order!  Ah well -  researching and "talking" about it has not only made me better informed, but has also let me indulge my microphone lust without actually spending any money....
DPA4060
R09

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »
Gear slut confession:  I ran the HEB for a few years into an M1 DAT.  For acoustic recording, the DPAs were too high output for the Sony preamp but too low for the line-in, so I needed an attenuator cable (Len sells those too).  My attenuator failed at a bad moment, lost a great concert, and I decided it was not optimal to attenuate a signal so I could then amplify it.  That's when I got the MMA6000, which I have used with the M1, then for a year and a half with the R1, now with the D1.  And of course a new set of DPAs to go with it, with microdots.  I am wading in DPAs (never know when you will need a backup).

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com