Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...  (Read 91699 times)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »
Well, I left the lead at home and actually recorded three different bands successfully using only the (8) AA Radio Shack battery holder as the internal sled in my 671. I removed the keying device on the stock Marantz sled and put it on the long sled available at Radio Shack. The difference between the two sleds is that the Radio Shack version has terminals that protrude out from it, where the Marantz sled contact points are more or less flush with the sled. I had to do a little surgery on the Radio Shack sled. Basically just bending the positive connector contacts a bit to make it fit in the sled holder area of the 671.

Before using the Radio Shack sled, I never had success with the Marantz sled in my 671 working reliably in the field.

Original Marantz sled on the left  - Modified radio Shack sled on the right

Very strange,

i have been using the Energizer 2500 mah batteries with the sled, and have not had a single incident! I saw that you used the Duracell batteries in your sled. I thought those had worked fine as well. Why do you think the radio shack sled works better than the Marantz one? I am getting paranoid about this now, even with a perfect track record thus far.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »
Well, I left the lead at home and actually recorded three different bands successfully using only the (8) AA Radio Shack battery holder as the internal sled in my 671. I removed the keying device on the stock Marantz sled and put it on the long sled available at Radio Shack. The difference between the two sleds is that the Radio Shack version has terminals that protrude out from it, where the Marantz sled contact points are more or less flush with the sled. I had to do a little surgery on the Radio Shack sled. Basically just bending the positive connector contacts a bit to make it fit in the sled holder area of the 671.

Before using the Radio Shack sled, I never had success with the Marantz sled in my 671 working reliably in the field.

Original Marantz sled on the left  - Modified radio Shack sled on the right

Very strange,

i have been using the Energizer 2500 mah batteries with the sled, and have not had a single incident! I saw that you used the Duracell batteries in your sled. I thought those had worked fine as well. Why do you think the radio shack sled works better than the Marantz one? I am getting paranoid about this now, even with a perfect track record thus far.

In my PMD671, and I suspect others, the contact points in the sled holder don't make good contact with the terminals on the stock Marantz sled. The Radio Shack sled has terminals that stick out maybe 3/32" that make better contact than the nearly flush contacts on the Marantz sled. Of course YMMV.

If you haven't had a problem, then I wouldn't change anything. I had not been able to run my deck, with internal batteries only, without a power hick-up until I used the Radio Shack sled. All is good in my world now. With external AA packs and the Radio Shack internal AA option working for me, I feel very good about using this recorder in the field.  :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
In my PMD671, and I suspect others, the contact points in the sled holder don't make good contact with the terminals on the stock Marantz sled. The Radio Shack sled has terminals that stick out maybe 3/32" that make better contact than the nearly flush contacts on the Marantz sled. Of course YMMV.

If you haven't had a problem, then I wouldn't change anything. I had not been able to run my deck, with internal batteries only, without a power hick-up until I used the Radio Shack sled. All is good in my world now. With external AA packs and the Radio Shack internal AA option working for me, I feel very good about using this recorder in the field.  :)

Perhaps one of your contacts is slightly bent in the recorder?  Either that or you got a defective sled.

Glad you got it resolved, and a good idea for a replacement sled if you need one in a pinch.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Chuck

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »

Perhaps one of your contacts is slightly bent in the recorder?  Either that or you got a defective sled.

Glad you got it resolved, and a good idea for a replacement sled if you need one in a pinch.

I'm tempted to modify the stock sled, but I haven't found the right things to solder onto the existing contacts. I need something that comes out about 3/32", is conductive and solderable and small enough around that it can clear the inside of the 671 sled bay.

I did some measurements, with calipers, on the retractable contact points inside the sled bay and the stock sled and the keying device used on the sled. According to the measurments I did, on my equipment, there is barely enough length on the contacts in the sled bay to make contact with the stock sled contact points. Also, with the Radio Shack sled I get a firm "klunk" (locked in) sound when I put that sled into the 671 battery bay. I don't get that with the stock sled.

Again, maybe I got a bad sled, but I've seen posts by others about this very issue. I'm convinced that extending the contact points on my sled is a good thing. YMMV

Chuck

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »
my sled "clicks" when locked in on both 671's i use. lucky, i guess.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2006, 01:31:56 PM »
how does the acm do in low level acoustic recording environments?
i hear that it would not be suitable for recording conversation or f/x. 
luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline Chuck

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »
how does the acm do in low level acoustic recording environments?
i hear that it would not be suitable for recording conversation or f/x. 
luke

You may not have enough gain for FX recording with the ACM 671. I recorded an amplified acoustic guitar duo (AKG C-481> ACM PMD671) with the 671 -10 db attenuater switch on and had to crank the levels full up to "10."

Doug does have a Super mod: http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-671MODS.html that looks like would be great for that type of recording.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »
this has come up before... i was worried about the acm not having enough gain for some things, like a symphony. and i swear i read somewhere that the acm is what i want, and that the supermod is not suiable for recording music...

chuck wrote:
had you not run the -10 attenuator, do you thin you still would have had to run the acm wide open..?

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2006, 07:40:47 PM »
this has come up before... i was worried about the acm not having enough gain for some things, like a symphony. and i swear i read somewhere that the acm is what i want, and that the supermod is not suiable for recording music...

In 671 in the field part 2  ;)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59611.msg861773#msg861773
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2006, 11:53:48 AM »
RE: the acm for acoustical should be ok, I think.

Just got this email from Doug....

Hi Andrew, nice to hear from you.

Yes, I feel the ACM is the best bet for recording any type of music. Did
you know DPA makes an XLR adapter that the 4060s plug into, this adapter
provides power for the mics form the P48 supply in the 671. This is a
very good solution...Doug
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Marantz PMD 671 and 8G cards
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
well hello again folks. been a while since i posted last, but finally got some more CF info - ok, confirmation of what i have posted earlier. a buddy of mine used to work for a major broker/manufacturer of memory. he has confirmed the general construction theories i posted a while back. NOTE: i use the basic SanDisc 4G crads in my unmodd'ed 671 with no glitches.

so... basic cards write data to the chips just like your computer writes to a single hard drive. _fast_ cards write to the chips in the CF card much like a RAID array 0 [Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance.] - since the chips on the card are no faster than the chips on the "standard" cards, the controller splits the data and sends it to two different locations. for our uses - ie continuous write - this leads to errors as the controller or handler has to work continuously for 2 or 3 hrs.

so, i am going to get an 8G card from the above mentioned manufacturer as he guarantees the chips to be excellent quality from one of the good memory manufacturers and assures my bud the card will have the same dependable performance as my SanDisc cards. i will post after i get a hold of the card.

remember, the cheaper the card, the cheaper the chips on it and the less likely you will get solid performance.

nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

spreadheadtom

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »
Finally got to run this thing last night.  I ran 24/48 with the -20db engaged for the first set.  Second set I tried it without the pad and wished I wouldn't have.  Levels just looked extremely low for the first set, but listening to it this morning, I was wrong.  The 414's sound sooo nice with this thing!

Tommy

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2006, 04:16:39 PM »
Finally got to run this thing last night.  I ran 24/48 with the -20db engaged for the first set.  Second set I tried it without the pad and wished I wouldn't have.  Levels just looked extremely low for the first set, but listening to it this morning, I was wrong.  The 414's sound sooo nice with this thing!

Tommy

What type of music were you taping?  Acoustic, amplified?  Did you run out of gain with the -20db engaged?

That's a big concern of mine, the AKG's are hot mics. (or am I wrong?)

C 480 B comb-ULS/61:  Sensitivity 40/20/6,3 mV/Pa (-28/-34/-44 dBV) <--- I'm assuming the 480 has an attenuator switch?

C 414 B-XLS: Sensitivity 23 mV/Pa (-33 dBV) ± 0.5 dB

Schoeps MK41/CMC6: Sensitivity: 13 mV/Pa

DPA 4022:  Sensitivity, nominal, ±2 dB: Nominally 7 mV/Pa (at 1 kHz)

Am I reading these specs wrong or are AKG mics way hotter than DPA and Schoeps?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:22:30 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

spreadheadtom

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »

What type of music were you taping?  Acoustic, amplified?  Did you run out of gain with the -20db engaged?

It was amplified (asylum street spankers), but very quiet.  With the pad engaged, I had the gain run wide open.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:31:08 PM by spreadheadtom »

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2006, 04:53:34 PM »

It was amplified (asylum street spankers), but very quiet.  With the pad engaged, I had the gain run wide open.

The 414's have thier own pad (-6 dB, -12 dB, -18 dB) did you use the mics own attenuation at all?  Any idea how far from 0 you were?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com