Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...  (Read 92017 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Marantz PMD 671 in the field Part 3...
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »
and after runninh 24/96 and 24/48, im gonna start running 24/44.1 so my 2GB limit can get more music and not have to do so much copying/pastying in post fater being recorded, w/ 24/44.1, i can just open the 2GB chunk in wavelab and dither and track, rather than cutting up in chunks, then resample/then dither then track

anyway

I came to the same conclusion with 24 bit, 44.1 kHz being my default 24 bit setting. I'm still not sold on 24 bit to be honest. I still like the convenience of 16 bit. I definately hear a sonic difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, I'm just not sure it's enough to justify recording at the increased bit rate at this time for me. I'll keep experimenting with 24 bit for sure.

its all about playback, i cant really hear the diff now w/ my current playback, but IMO the 16-bit recording benefits from it because of the added detail in the 24-bit  source

i still think its worth it in the long run, especially after upgradingthe playback and enjoying DVD-A discs :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2006, 10:04:41 PM »
Has anyone done a comparison recording between the ACM 671 and ACM 660  ???
I wonder if they sound nearly identical or if there are differences?

Essentially I got the 671 because of the 24 bit ability.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2006, 07:23:08 AM »
these all in one 24bit boxes certainly are nice.

i still think that a well recorded (ie: peaking around +2db) 16bit recording is every bit as good as your run of the mill 24bit recording that peaks at -6db due to the "because I can" factor.  Think back to the V3.  could you ever hear those "over" moments?
I couldn't w/my 671.  I couldn't w/my 660, and that thing I ran wayyyy HOT.

still, i record at 24/44 and listen to it at that resolution.  I record like its 16bit though, and keep my peaks pretty hot.  I can hear a difference.....but its minimal and completely unnecessary for PA recordings played back on my stereo.  I get just as much enjoyment from 16bit.

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »
Ran into the same problems I had a few weeks ago with the levels on the 671 fading away.  Saturday at the panic I was getting practically no levels at all.  Cut the -20db off and they did pick up, but still low.  I spoke with Doug this morning and it's going back to him for a once over. 

I'll keep you guys updated.

spreadheadtom

« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
yep...it did suck.  nothing like being setup FOB and not get levels.  and to top it all off----all of these 722's staring me in the face.  I was planning on showing all those guys up  :P

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2006, 05:50:09 PM »
Ran into the same problems I had a few weeks ago with the levels on the 671 fading away.  Saturday at the panic I was getting practically no levels at all.  Cut the -20db off and they did pick up, but still low.  I spoke with Doug this morning and it's going back to him for a once over. 

How far into the set (record time) were you and which mics were you running?  What type/capacity of batteries?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

spreadheadtom

« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »

How far into the set (record time) were you and which mics were you running?  What type/capacity of batteries?

before the show I was getting setup to go to the front and wasn't getting hardly any levels.  At the start of the show I was still getting nothing.  I gave up mid way through the first set.  I was running mk21 >KC5 > cmc6 and powering with the 9V wally 5400mah battery.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2006, 08:20:58 PM »

before the show I was getting setup to go to the front and wasn't getting hardly any levels.  At the start of the show I was still getting nothing.  I gave up mid way through the first set.  I was running mk21 >KC5 > cmc6 and powering with the 9V wally 5400mah battery.

I was under the impression you had good levels and then they started to fade.  Either way I'd like to know what the issue is, hopefully it's a rare problem, unfortunately you have to deal with it...  :-\

+t for the troubles, keep us updated.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2006, 08:27:21 PM »

Did you put a VOM to the battery to see if it was putting out enough voltage?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

spreadheadtom

« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26:25 PM »

Did you put a VOM to the battery to see if it was putting out enough voltage?

no....but I did try a total of 3 batteries......all fully charged that day.

spreadheadtom

« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2006, 09:27:31 PM »
here's the 414's from the section....first night

http://digitalpanic.org/bittorrent/showthread.php?t=14673

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2006, 12:24:43 AM »
hey Tommy did you ever run the schoeps?

I'm considering mk4 > kc5 > cmc6 > ACM 671 as my next venture.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »
hey Tommy did you ever run the schoeps?

I'm considering mk4 > kc5 > cmc6 > ACM 671 as my next venture.

:jawdrop:

Thinking of leaving Team AKG, Lee?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »
not really, just want low pro really bad.  I also just want to see what this set up sounds like.  i'd hang on to my AKGs until the "Actives Project" is finished.

if anybody wants to loan these to me for a couple of weeks i'll gladly cover insurance and shipping both ways.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com