Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Few questions for Schoeps CCM4 users  (Read 6532 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Few questions for Schoeps CCM4 users
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »
I'm curious about these compact mics and hoping for some info from tapers using them.

1. Thoughts re: CCM vs MK/CMC sound wise?
2. Is the detachable or attached cable generally preferable and for what reasons?  Durability of both?
3. Any idea what Schoeps would charge to alter the cable length?
4. Lastly, will they fit perfectly in a Kwon Bar just like a KC5/KCY cable will (will the one with detachable cable fit at all?)

Thanks in advance!

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Few questions for Schoeps CCM4 users
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »
I'm curious about these compact mics and hoping for some info from tapers using them.

1. Thoughts re: CCM vs MK/CMC sound wise?
2. Is the detachable or attached cable generally preferable and for what reasons?  Durability of both?
3. Any idea what Schoeps would charge to alter the cable length?
4. Lastly, will they fit perfectly in a Kwon Bar just like a KC5/KCY cable will (will the one with detachable cable fit at all?)

Thanks in advance!
1. identical
2. i chose the lemo version so that, if needed, the mics could be stored separate from their cables.
3. not sure
4. here's the deal. the lemo version DO NOT fit in the kwons but they DO fit in the schoeps ortf and 25/110 bar AND in the NOLA bars.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »
Thanks for info!

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
I prefer the CCM4 with hard wired cable so that there is one less connection.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:12 PM »
The advantage of the CCM -L series (with detachable XLR cable) is its considerably greater flexibility in setup. There's a number of very useful mounting accessories that are designed for those models but not the CCM -U microphones. I would really prefer those only for fixed installations such as P.A. systems where theft might possibly be an issue.

The type of Lemo connector that they use makes a firm, definite connection--not at all vague or "crunchy"--and the point of connection is very well protected both mechanically and electrically. I'm a thorough minimalist and skeptic about such things, but in this case there's no question that I'd prefer the models with the detachable XLR cable (e.g. the CCM 4L).

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
Thanks for the always informative reply!  It's good to know that the Lemo connector is solid, because that does sound better than the attached cable version.  Any idea if Schoeps shortens the cables or if there is an authorized service center who does that kind of work?  15 feet is kind of long if used primarily for doing the low pro type of taping.  :P

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks for the always informative reply!  It's good to know that the Lemo connector is solid, because that does sound better than the attached cable version.  Any idea if Schoeps shortens the cables or if there is an authorized service center who does that kind of work?  15 feet is kind of long if used primarily for doing the low pro type of taping.  :P

schoeps sells the cable they use for the CCM L mics by the foot so i imagine they would make you a pair in any length you desire. just shoot Jerry at Posthorn a message.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
schoeps sells the cable they use for the CCM L mics by the foot so i imagine they would make you a pair in any length you desire. just shoot Jerry at Posthorn a message.

Thanks again, I also noticed that on the posthorn website as well, so I was hoping something like that might be possible.  Ideally, I'd like to have two sets of cables, one the 5 meter original length, and a shorter one too, and just switch cables for open/stealth situations.  8)

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
Got an email from Jerry at Posthorn and he said that you can get a pair of CCM cables, custom length (under 5m though) for only $204, which is about 20% of the cost of a pair of new KC5 actives, but I guess their not being active cables has something to do with it.  I'm assuming he meant a pair of cables with all the connectors at both ends but I asked him to confirm/clarify that.  For that price, it really seems like a great option for open and st***th taping if you don't mind having only one cap.  Of course, some people are fortunate enough to have multiple CCMs and what not.  :P

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »
4. here's the deal. the lemo version DO NOT fit in the kwons but they DO fit in the schoeps ortf and 25/110 bar AND in the NOLA bars.

Three more questions, if you please:

1. Is the fit (of the CCM Lg in a NOLA bar) pretty solid and tight like how a KC5/KCY snuggly fits in a Kwon bar or is there any concern about it falling out if the stand is hit or if it's windy, etc.? 

2. Also, the detachable CCM Lg cable is 3mm diameter vs 4mm for the KC5/KCY.  Does it feel sturdy enough or too thin and easily kinked?

3. How long is the XLR connector at the end of the cable, pretty much a standard length Neutrik type connector? 

Thanks!

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
For that price, it really seems like a great option for open and st***th taping if you don't mind having only one cap.  Of course, some people are fortunate enough to have multiple CCMs and what not.  :P

or go for the ccm5 instead of the ccm4 and you'll have card or omni, while keeping the open/low profile options as well.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
or go for the ccm5 instead of the ccm4 and you'll have card or omni, while keeping the open/low profile options as well.

Good point, but the CCM5 costs some $530/each more than the CCM4.  Also, omni cap is the lowest on my cap wishlist (after 4, 41, 22, 21).  Now, if they made a cap that could switch between 4 and 41...  ;D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:11 AM »

Good point, but the CCM5 costs some $530/each more than the CCM4.  Also, omni cap is the lowest on my cap wishlist (after 4, 41, 22, 21).  Now, if they made a cap that could switch between 4 and 41...  ;D

If you ever do any on stage or lip of stage recording, the omni is tough to beat.

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
Three more questions, if you please:

1. Is the fit (of the CCM Lg in a NOLA bar) pretty solid and tight like how a KC5/KCY snuggly fits in a Kwon bar or is there any concern about it falling out if the stand is hit or if it's windy, etc.? 

2. Also, the detachable CCM Lg cable is 3mm diameter vs 4mm for the KC5/KCY.  Does it feel sturdy enough or too thin and easily kinked?

3. How long is the XLR connector at the end of the cable, pretty much a standard length Neutrik type connector? 

Thanks!

1. Yes very solid.  I have been using my CCM41V's with both a DINa and DIN Nola bars and no issues. 

2. I was concerned about this as well but it seems to be OK, just need to use a little extra precaution when wrapping up at the end of the night.

3. Standard, straight Neutrik XLR. 

I have been extremely happy with my CCM41V's.  After running CMC6>KC5>MK41 for the past four years this has been a welcome change.  Having the ability to plug the CCM direct into the pre and leave the caps in the top of my bag allow for a VERY quick set up. 

I went with the Lemo so I could keep everything connected in my bag and simply plug in the caps when at the venue. 

You will be happy!!
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
1. Yes very solid.  I have been using my CCM41V's with both a DINa and DIN Nola bars and no issues. 

2. I was concerned about this as well but it seems to be OK, just need to use a little extra precaution when wrapping up at the end of the night.

3. Standard, straight Neutrik XLR. 

I have been extremely happy with my CCM41V's.  After running CMC6>KC5>MK41 for the past four years this has been a welcome change.  Having the ability to plug the CCM direct into the pre and leave the caps in the top of my bag allow for a VERY quick set up. 

I went with the Lemo so I could keep everything connected in my bag and simply plug in the caps when at the venue. 

You will be happy!!

Awesome, thanks for the info!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com